Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - UE4 - Female Samurai

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AndresCasta interpolator
Hi!
Since the announcement of Ghost of Tsushima many months ago, I wanted to create my own samurai character.
I started working on this character a few months ago dedicating time to work on this mostly on weekends. My endgoal is to have a realistic character running in realtime (UE4) appliying what I learned by working in a studio for the last year and a half.
I'm not working with a concept so most of the design choices are try and error (offcourse using a lot of references in way)
Actual state:
Thanks for reading.  ;)

Replies

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Here is a closeup of the head. It took me a while at the beginning because I wanted to get that asian features to it. By the way everything was sculpted from the scratch no base mesh involved.

After I got the head I moved into blocking the hair. I did different versions but at the end I choose this one. I liked because the different shapes and forms making it more challenging and also breaking the silhouette with the llose hair clumps.  

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    This is the body sculpt, Even when most of it is going to be covered I wanted to take the chance to practice my anatomy

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Ok, so once I worked on the body I could move into the outfit. It was a lot of try an error. At some point I even try to put some armor on her but I ended up with the core design. The clothing was made in marvelous and quickly put into zbrush. I will attach some images from marvelous for those interested in the patterns I used.

At the end I didn't aim for getting everything clean and perfect in Marvelous. I worked on each piece separated and then adjusted them in Zbrush. Also, this is just for the rough version, once I'm happy with the simulation I got from marvelous and checked is working good with my design I clean the pieces in Maya to get even topology. 
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    After a lot of work and iteration, I got to this point where the outfit it's more elaborated and clean, still working on some pieces and some ropes are just place holders. I think I got a really close idea of what I want just need to polish it. For now I'm going to work on the Katanas. So expect some updates on that soon. Also, I know this was kind of rush but sadly don't have progress shots from the very beginning so I skipped most of it. If you have any questions about any part of the process feel free to ask. I'll try to answer in depth to any of them.  =)  

Other shots

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Hello again, This week I've been working on detailing the katana. I have a blockout that I used for the main model. After getting the shapes and proportions the most tricky part is the detailing especially in the Tsuba since It's a big point of interest. I decided to go for a wave thematic
    with two koi fish following the flow.

Take into consideration my character has two katanas. Each one it's going to have a different design because based on my research it is really unlikely that a samurai would carry two copies of the same katana because it would be really expensive. Only samurais under a lord could afford it. This samurai is more like a ronin which would make sense she would carry two different katanas.

Blockout 

HighPoly [WIP]

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Hey Folks! Update on the high poly model I did the microdetail of the face and body. For those interested, I used the spotlight projection feature in Zbrush  B)
    I tweaked the mesh so it can have a realistic blink transition by using the power of layers!! :D 
    Some hands render...

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    This is the actual state of the Zbrush model. If you think this is taking me a lot, Not to fear my friend! I already did the retopo, UVs and test baking will be uploading those soon once I finish cleaning those sneaky artifacts >:LBy the way the Katanas in this render still a placeholder. I worked on them as a separate scene
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks super! Thanks for showing the progress.
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Katana HighPoly done in Maya and Zbrush, if you have any questions feel free to ask :D 
  • MattDawe
    Wonderful job! I do feel like her face might be a little flat, especially around the eyes, but the rest of it is on point! Really excellent details.
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    SKi
    Skin texturing WIP
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    so good! cant wait to see where you take this

• de_cbble
    Offline / Send Message
    de_cbble polycounter lvl 5
    Wow! That katana detail and clothwork, it's really good. Stuff I can only dream of doing... I want to ask how but don't even know where to start, haha.

Very excited to see you develop it further! Nice job!
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Thanks! @de_cbble
    No worries feel free to ask anything. I'll try my best to help you out!
    Haven't been really active because I'm moving to another city and has been a hassle but the upcoming month should be full steam on this!
  • de_cbble
    Offline / Send Message
    de_cbble polycounter lvl 5
    Nice to hear, hope the move has been good to you!

Well, here are some questions that come to mind if that's ok
    For the cloth, you took the simulations you were happy with and added further detail in ZBrush (like minifolds)? How did you go about approaching the seams/pattern shapes to create the various articles of clothing within Marvelous itself?

What's the workflow/method that you used for detail in general, like the katana hilt and the ropes(?) tied around the handle, that straw hat, stuff like that? They turned out really nicely!

And lastly, any other tips for pushing to create a high quality character like this? How long does this take? It's definitely easy to become disillusioned with a long project for me so I'd like to form a gauge and be able to pace myself through it.

Your sculpting skills are also superb. Man I'm gushing. I have even more questions about texturing but I'll wait to see your work! 
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    That tsuba just made me cry... so good.
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Hi @de_cbble thanks I'm in my new place and have internet now

let me see, for the cloth, I usually just try to get a simulation I'm happy with and then add detail in zbrush you can see the meshes I ended up with on the previous post. That's literally what I take to ZBrush. when detailing the clothing I add thickness and start detailing using layers to keep everything organize and if the is something I don't like I can always come back. My layer order usually goes like this
    - main shape improvements like adding some extra folds, big changes, making sure everything is making contact properly, and integrating into the model.
    - memory folds, I usually use some alphas that I spread randomly across the cloth piece and take down the intensity with the layer slider. I do this because I want them to be really subtle just to complement the bigger folds.
    -Finally, I do any wear and tear, adding imperfections this one really adds to the clothing and makes it feel more believable

when it comes to detailing the answer is pretty straight,
    clean uvs + Alpha = quick detail
    I use Rizom UVs because it's software that allows me to make my UVs and then import them into my mesh even if this one has layers or subdivisions. That's like the secret because with a tool like that I can always change the Uv's to fit my needs
    The order goes:
    - clean Uvs depending on what piece you are working on, Usually for straps a really straight UV island its ideal
    - Use noise maker in Zbrush applying the alpha you want and tweak 
    - Finally, I like to apply the noise to the mesh but in a layer, that way I can control the intensity and even delete it in case I don't like the tile texture later on

as you can see my secret tool is the Layer system in Zbrush. once you know how to use it is an awesome tool. be careful because if you use too many it might become unstable so be mindful of your system limits.

another tip is to focus on having a solid shape first. remember the micro detail is to support and complement the main shape. For example the straw hat everything was old-school modeling. I made it in Maya because that kind of pattern was something really specific and just using UVs and a tilling pattern would't give me the result I wanted.

• AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @de_cbble It's hard to put a time estimate on this kind of stuff, especially when I only work on it in my free time. I work as a character artist in a studio so after 8 hours of work sometimes it's hard to not be burned down after work and find the motivation to work on these pieces. If I was working on this full time probably a couple of months would be enough. However, because in this one I'm really pushing myself to improve many aspects of my realism I'm taking my time.

A good tip to work on this kind of long project is to have a backup one, that way once you are burned down with one you can jump onto the other. You don't have to be working on it 100% of your time, you can use your time to practice some anatomy or do a speed sculpt. keeping your interest in the project is key and working on it every single day can be exhausting, you might lose interest so diversifying your schedule really helps.  =)

and thanks for your words!!
  • AndresCasta
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @shinobix Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! I really wanted to make something special