Home Technical Talk

WHEN TO USE CREASE vs EDGE LOOP SUPPORT

Sometimes I create an edge loop and then have to recalculate the incorrect toplogo angle after bevel or Multip cut, then have to recalculate the Edge Flow. So sometimes I use the Crease tool again. However, I found out that Crease does not support when exporting to other software. I want to ask those in the industry whether to use Crease in the workflow? Should Create tools be used in studio and company? Thankss :3 

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I waould like to know this too. In blender I used creases on my kia model and it's a nice worfklow, but as you say cannot be exported( i guess)
    i have experimented with the bevel modifier in Blender, which is ok for some things, but at least its non destructibve
  • oglu
    Online / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    That depends on the pipeline of the project. If you can stay in Blender use creases. If you have to export it for sculpting in zbrush subdivide first. 

If you have to use clean subD modeling you could bevel everything in the end. 

Use what ever workflow is the fastest and does not violate the project pipeline. 
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just to add that the bevel modifier in blender with mean weight is a great workflow

It will add actual geo so its fine to export also, bit it only add bevels where you have weighted

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I use creases when I want to add more divisions to something before I get to the beveling stage. Lets say I made a round table and I didn't include enough divisions. If I bevel the edges and add divisions/smooth, the resulting mesh I have to work with has a huge amount of edges on the beveled area now. If I crease it, and then add divisions/smooth, it remains as just one edge, and later when I'm sub-d'ing for render, I can add a bevel onto that edge.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Creases are very useful working with subdivision modeling in early stages, i use them in lvl-0 or lvl-1 of detail. But later, when i "collapse" modifiers or i subdivide, i use edge loop support.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I kind of get what you are aying Blaizer, maybe this workflow is similar to what you mentioned
    I have thought of adding trims at the end , but worry about not being able to go back and edit the  base