Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Ship W.I.P Build Log

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, just recently joined. I am not exactly sure if this is the right place for this post. I am currently working on a pirate ship model in Blender and I wanted to make sort of a progress or build log for that. If the topic needs to be moved to another category let me know . As for this project I wanted to make a Pirate ship model and am still working on modeling part of the deck fittings. If anyone has any feedback or thoughts, I greatly welcome and appreciate it. I will be posting more updates as i finish more of the build soon. Below These images I will also post a mood board with reference images and more information.

Thank you.
This build is going to be a fantasy inspired pirate ship set in the golden age of piracy around the early 18th century. I am going for something is not 100% accurate to a single reference image, but I wanted something that still had all of the working elements of a real ship. For this build I think I am just going to stick to the exterior for now. This also is an exercise for me in expanding my own knowledge in how these ships were built and constructed. The image below was the main image i used for the initial hull of the ship and to assist me in figuring out the proportions of some of the higher decks in my 3d model compared to the image.
Some of these other plans I am using for the sails and deck layout as well 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Great start. It's usually a good idea to post a mood board (reference images you are examining while you're working) so people get an idea what your goals are, so they can give targeted feedback.

Is this going to go in a game engine? Or rendered wholly in Cycles? 
  • Rosehaven11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Eric, Thank you for responding. I can definitely post a mood board, i have been pouring over tons of reference images and ship models and I can definitely post more information about what I am trying to go for. This is going to be rendered wholly in cycles in Blender. Thank you very much for the advice and replying.
  • Rosehaven11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update; I have been working quite a bit last week on the model, the Capstan is done, helm and bow. I also put in some masts and mapped out a sail plan as well, I will also post more close up images to get a better sense of detail and anything that needs changing. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.