Home Unity

[HELP] Why my parent layers in 3ds max can't be imported into Unity?

Pain
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pain polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I'm having some problem when importing my objects from 3ds max which was organized in layer. The problem is in Unity it doesn't keep my organized layers as it was in max.
You can take a look at my images below for more details. If any one knows the issue, please help.

Replies

• danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    well Max doesn’t export layers, so that’ll be that. If you want to “organise” the scene in unity, make empty  gameobjects and drag your objects under them, or if you want to do that in the exported fox use the hierarchy tool in max.

Bear in mind though, that’s not really what  the unity Hierarchy panel is for, it’s a lot more powerful than that - when you make an object a child of something else, it inherits it’s movement etc and position/rotation/scale are now local to the parent . If you just use it for organising, tread carefully because you can quickly come across behaviour that doesn’t make sense at first 
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for the explanation, it's so useful. I now can export my organized tree by adding those objects into "container" which is in "Sort By Hierarchy" tab in max. 
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix polycounter lvl 11
    Pain said:
    Thank you for the explanation, it's so useful. I now can export my organized tree by adding those objects into "container" which is in "Sort By Hierarchy" tab in max. 
    Hi Pain.  I'm wondering if you still use a container in 2021max File/Inherrit/Cointainer? I have just started using max2021 and Unity. I'm also having issues with the Physical materials exporting them fbx to Unity. Thanks
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix polycounter lvl 11
    danr said:
    well Max doesn’t export layers, so that’ll be that. If you want to “organise” the scene in unity, make empty  gameobjects and drag your objects under them, or if you want to do that in the exported fox use the hierarchy tool in max.

Bear in mind though, that’s not really what  the unity Hierarchy panel is for, it’s a lot more powerful than that - when you make an object a child of something else, it inherits it’s movement etc and position/rotation/scale are now local to the parent . If you just use it for organising, tread carefully because you can quickly come across behaviour that doesn’t make sense at first 
    Hi, Do perhaps know if there are any issues with 3ds max 2021 using the Physicalmaterials and exporting (fbx to Unity) I have embedded the texture but all is white materials in Unity. If I use the standardMaterials in Max it export oke.
  • Eric Chadwick
    FBX doesn't support Physical Material from Max. It only support Standard, and only some of the texture inputs. 

glTF however supports Physical Material setup for PBR textures & data, so that might work better for you.