Home Technical Talk

3DSMAX - UnChamfer Pro released!

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I've just released a script for reverting chamfered geometry back to its original shape. I think it's quite useful, and hopefully a few of you will too. :)

(I raised the price a bit compared to my other tools, so if anyone can't afford it just send me a message)

Get it here: https://gumroad.com/l/GVmNFG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZn25EVKfQ

I actually posted about this script (in the Tech Artist WAYWO thread) way back in 2018, but didn't get around to finishing it until now. Would love to hear if anyone still remembers it from back then. :)

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    I remember, thought it was brilliant then, seems much more brilliant now - great work!
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    why must you tease me with these awesome max tools when i am now a maya convert! looks great!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Just updated the script with a few changes:
        Improved Automatic vector modes handling of chamfer 'ends' (first/last split in a loop).
        UV's and vertex colors are now supported (would be discarded previously)
        Added user-requested feature for evenly spacing vertices within a loop:

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Please create for Maya as already mentioned.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @malcolm I've started to port my Maxscript function library over to Python for Maya and Blender, so once that's far enough along UnChamfer Pro, Planar Advanced, and Edge Length Tool, will all be getting re-releases. :)

Honestly, Sales wise Max has proven to be kind of a dead end. Maya tools seem to sell significantly better, so I'm looking forward to seeing if the grass really is greener on the other side.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Oh snap, I've got my money ready.
    I've been doing Mel script tools development for two+ years now and selling them on Gumroad. I'm earning about minimum wage (in Canada) off the tools. I find the best way to bring people to the tools is Youtube videos showing how to use them and why they're better than default Maya. The Gumroad e-mail list is really helpful too to send out updates and also get some extra sales through visability.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    PolyHertz said:
    Honestly, Sales wise Max has proven to be kind of a dead end.
    That seems surprising. Are you perhaps not reaching users in product design, archviz, etc? I imagine Max still ought to be the popular choice over there.

Games on the other hand ... haven't dealt with a studio in years that was still relying on Max.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be very happy to make minimum wage from scripts, as typically when I first release a script it gets a few dozen sales then tapers off to basically nothing.

I think part of the problem is the scripts videos are meant more as tutorials then advertisements, and use very simple models to demonstrate how they work. Perhaps making some proper hard surface models to show the tools off with, or giving out early copies of the script to beta testers that could record them being used on a variety of models, would help...Could also try making a mascot character that stars in over the top comical animated shorts explaining each new release, though that might be a bit much :p 

As for catering to product design and arch vis, the scripts I've released so far are all general purpose modeling tools not really focused on any one industry. It's definitely something worth considering though for future releases.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    PolyHertz said:

As for catering to product design and arch vis, the scripts I've released so far are all general purpose modeling tools not really focused on any one industry. It's definitely something worth considering though for future releases.
    I just meant reaching those users. I don't imagine them hanging around Polycount, Artstation or such communities that much but will be using all the same modelling tools.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well right now I post about new releases to Reddit, Twitter, Discord, Scriptspot, Polycount, and Youtube. Level80 and a few other sites also tend to post about my scripts to their news feed. The only other place I can think of to advertise this sort of thing is Facebook. Looked around to see if there were any active Arch Vis dedicated forums but haven't come across any so far.
  • tsungyuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsungyuw polycounter lvl 8
    nice tool, I try to do the same thing in Maya, just not as powerful as yours :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @tsungyuw ! I actually came across your Unbevel script just before I finished up UnChamfer Pro, it inspired me to add the interactive mode. :)
  • tsungyuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsungyuw polycounter lvl 8
    @PolyHertz
    yp I love interactive mode, I actually used it more to adjusting bevel/chamfer size than un bevel/chamber !!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone interested, I'm doing a Black Friday sale on Gumroad atm.
    Enter maxtoolsbfcoupon in the 'Discount Code' field at checkout to get 50% off any of my paid scripts. :)