Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][Blender] S.I.M.P.L.E Japanese(Ghost of Tsushima) inspired Environment Art

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
anguedrew polycounter lvl 4
GOAL: Create a simple scene in blender with minimal procedural assets.

I'm thinking of creating a very simple scene then I'm gonna slowly build it up and refine and refine until I feel like I'm alright with it. :)
Looking forward for everyone's critique as well!

I was so inspired by Ghost of Tsushima environment. It's so mind boggling how they created so detailed assets yet they managed to emphasized how the game is actually geared more in the stylized than realistic.

My goal is to produce a scene with the same vibe. *FINGERS CROSSED* Will try hard to make something similar though, not copy the style. See if I understood their art direction right.

Replies

• anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Block Out

QUICK CONCEPT ART *sorry for the sh*tty art* LOL

*model is from DAZ3D. Used it as scale reference.
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im already very anxious to eliminate those icky primitive block outs! It's very important to get a feel of the rough shapes in the very initial stages of the design the more reason why I went ahead on making the boulders. Here you can see that I made sure that I have at least 3 variation of the usual big, mid and small. I'm not very comfortable with scaling models to be honest. I'm very particular with scale. Oh and my texel is at 1024 per meter. 

Set it up :smiley:

• anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Made the preliminary materials to get the palette going already. 

Cooked up these materials in Substance Designer to get an early feel of the palette. Rest assured, I will be tweaking them once in a while if I'm not lazy.  :) 

• anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No offense... But I'm offended by this design! LOL

All jokes aside. The dougong  is such a marvelous and very functional design. All along I thought they were just a pile of beams stacked together to look sophisticated. But on the contrary, beyond the elegance of how they are stacked, the stacking is actually what makes it such a sturdy and earthquake proof foundation. The more the beams are stacked(not to mention the roof), the heavier the top gets, the stronger it is pulled by gravity from the top to the columns until the base. Thus making the overall structure stand firmly to the ground.

Regardless of how strong an earthquake is, this structure is only going to move with it. Or at least that's how I understood it. LOL

But yeah! No wonder a lot of ancient structures in China still stands thanks to the ALMIGHTY DOUGONG!!!

Actually, I'm only making this at least for a Background element a few distance far from my scene. Just to make my scene interesting. But I just got hooked to the architecture that I put more emphasis on this!  =)

• anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

An update on my pagoda back-drop model. I've just finished the basic procedural walls and roofs. Some would probably think of creating the trim-sheets first then design the models, but I actually prefer to start on the latter in this case. Since I already have a very clear idea on what it'll look like. Figured might as well tackle the model and it's modularity early on. I've already got an idea as well on how the trim is gonna look like so didn't gave a thought about it that much.

These are only the first floor modular pieces. Next will be the upper floor walls. Still not sure if I'm gonna bother with walls with windows though, since this is only a backdrop. What do you guys think?!