Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Retro Armored Alien

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 10
I am working on an Alien. I am trying to do the whole thing in ZBrush, and not rely on any external poly modeling tools (just because I need to improve my Zbrush skills).

Any criticism greatly appreciated. This is a concept I've been working on off and on and started over many times. I want to take my organic game to the next level. My big idea for right now is sculpting a full skeleton in an attempt to get more of a kind of fleshy layered look. I'm also trying to get better at "organic hard surface" (curvy hard shapes in the armor)

Replies

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimenting with some shapes in the helmet. trying to keep it simple, smooth, and sharp

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to ditch the secondary shapes in the helmet... simpler is probably better in this case.

I also rebuilt the geometry using the ZModeler brush... its pretty cool when you get used to it!

I'm also trying to cram this big alien head into the helmet

And I'm working on improving the back armor a bit. Same deal, ZModeler for block-in and then sculpting secondary details on top

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Solid start!

I think redoing the scull shape would improve the skeleton a lot, it looks like the skull is a helmet currently, just one solid piece.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I haven't forgotten :)

I've refined the torso armor. simplifying and cleaning up some shapes especially on the front. I'm thinking of ditching the shoulder pads completely. The bare shoulders feel sleeker and maybe a little more "tactical"? idk. The back needs something but I'm not sure what.

The legs still need a lot of love. I do want to keep them simple and not weigh down the design too much but something about them is not quite working.

Great point. I will try to look at some real skulls to get ideas on how to hollow it out more