Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Purple House - Stylized/Handpainted UE4 Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
battleyak polycounter lvl 7
Hi Polycount! Long time lurker, first time poster :) I just finished a UE4 environment art project and wanted to share it. 

Original concept art by OKU - Artstation

And some of my texture sheets

I have more closeups and a video up on my Artstation showing some of the animations in the scene like the windmill, foliage, and little wind wisps :)

I really enjoyed handpainting the textures for the scene and I spent a lot of time trying to bring all the great shapes from the concept art into my models. I also learned a great deal about Unreal 4 as I experimented with lighting, materials, foliage, particles, and blueprints! 

Thank you so much for looking! Feel free to ask any questions, I'm still learning but I'm happy to help :) 

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Gorgeous!  Really love your handpainted textures, very nicely done indeed

• battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much @AllyAlbon :D they were so fun to paint!
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
  • battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    This is really neat. Could you give a brief explanation on your process for making one of those textures? I think I am going to have to do something similar with what I am working on.
  • battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Skinner3D ! Sorry for the late response. I started the textures by color picking off the concept art to lay down some chunks of color variety keeping it very loose. I then use the Hue/Saturation/Brightness adjustment to tone down the saturation and being the colors more in line. Once I was happy with my base colors I started painting in my basic shapes working from big to small. As I painted in my shapes I also made sure to keep an eye on my contrast and painted out any spots that felt like they had too much contrast (especially for the tileables textures).

I used one of the oil painting brushes that comes with Photoshop and a square brush I made to do my painting. I usually work with 100% opacity and about 5-20% flow (I'm pretty heavy handed 😅).

I hope this helps a little bit! If there's a specific texture you want to see a breakdown of with images please let me know and I can put that together once my computer is up and running :)
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    I am still trying to figure out how you managed to get that tiled roof texture onto the roof in all of its shapes and curves. I have stayed away from stylized (to my detriment) because of a lot of technical issues I could see. You managed to showcase a complete version of every single one of those issues and I am trying really hard to assimilate that knowledge, lol.
  • battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Skinner3D oooh yeah that was not easy 😅 once I get my computer up and running I'll grab some screenshots of my model and, most importantly, my unwrap to show you how I used the texture :)

For reference this entire scene was built for this one shot so I focused my modeling to get all the right shapes for the camera I had set up in Unreal. The "back end" is empty. My method was to make adjustments to model, import to Unreal, take a screenshot from my camera and paste into Photoshop and compare directly to the concept. Did this a ton until I got the shapes right for the camera view, it helped keeping all my screenshots in one PSD file so I can write notes for myself and compare to my previous iteration. I also spent A LOT of time unwrapping, probably more than I spent modeling. 

I hope this helps a bit! I'll get some screenshots and draw up a visual tutorial as soon as I can :)
  • TurtleLearns3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TurtleLearns3D polycounter lvl 2
    I watched your breakdown on stylizedstation. It was really helpful to see how you do the trim sheets and textures. The texture part was so satisfying to watch, lol. ^^ 
  • battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @TurtleLearns3D ! Thank you so much for the kind words 😊. I'm really glad you liked the video and found it helpful :) hehe doing the texturing was definitely my favorite part!