Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[W.I.P] 20-shot revolver - Post bake clarity

Hey, I've been working on a cartridge converted version of the Lefaucheux 20 shot revolver for 2 months now and I've finally pushed myself to bake and start texturing it unlike my other hard surface models that are stuck in limbo. My problem is that I love my high polys, but dislike making lowpoly versions because they end up losing so much detail.( pretty ironic considering I started out making lowpolys and disliking hardsurface)

The revolver is not a 1:1 with the real revolver, as I always try to add my own twist, either by doing visual changes or functional changes in line with what kind of gameplay I want to create and realism.

Here's some viewport shots of Hardsurface mesh that I used for baking: 

Then there's the lowpoly:

And here's the UV packed with UvPackmaster for the best packing possible:

And here's the bake without any materials assigned in substance painter:

And a quick mockup with rusty metal and worn wood in Iray:

So, now that you've made it to the bottom, I'd love to hear what you think and what I could improve. The textures are W.I.P and not representative of what I'm aiming for, so spare any feedback/critique on that front for now. 

Software used: blender and substance painter

Replies

• Sloth_42
    Offline / Send Message
    Sloth_42 polycounter lvl 2
    Looking really good so far. Bake seems crisp and clean. You can definately push the texture further, but as you said its a WIP so you'll do that anyway.

Can you share your reference pictures?

• Damien_Hazard
    Sloth_42 said:
    Looking really good so far. Bake seems crisp and clean. You can definately push the texture further, but as you said its a WIP so you'll do that anyway.

Can you share your reference pictures?

Due to copyright I won't share the actual pictures used, but I looked at auction pictures and used this video by Ian from forgotten weapons as my primary reference: https://youtu.be/mqdQrpF2PmI 

As for how I used my references, I had a side profile picture as my reference in blender,  but primarily used the cartridge and video for getting proportions right. I searched for Lefaucheux 20 shot on google and looked at pictures whenever I was unsure about details I couldn't see in the video.