Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Shinobi Girl - Leila

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jane polycounter lvl 2
Hey all.

This is a high poly model I've created based off Guweiz' concept art. I'm currently wrapping up the high poly and about to retopologise and texture her soon. I would deeply appreciate any feedback or suggestions for improvements anyone may have. Cheers!

Concept Art:

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    That is stellar. How did you get the rips and frays? I have had trouble damaging items in the past.
  • pixelpatron
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I have few suggestions :
    She will have hard time keeping current pose due to how high heel shift contact point with the ground and pretty much the whole body has to
    adjust to keep balance
    -exaggerate leg and spine curves
    -raise calf and butt
    -currently her legs a quite straight meaning lack definition if you check at second ref image she is super skinny and still her legs have the proper bumps where muscle make one
    -also there will be more definition in leg and spine muscles as they are contracted trying to keep her balanced ,most visible will be quadraceps knee and calf
    -optional add dimples to the cheeks

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    @carvuliero I am learning vicariously on this :) Would you make the posture edits to a T-Pose? That seems really backwards, but that is why I am asking. Honest question. You know your stuff inside and out :)
  • Jane
    Offline / Send Message
    Jane polycounter lvl 2
    @Skinner3D Thanks for liking the freys! For the freys I mainly used the standard brush or snake hook brush with a spray alpha e.g. alpha 7, for larger primary freys. You can experiment with what alphas work here. Then I went in with the dam standard brush for finer/sharper details on the edges. After I am happy with the general shape of the freys, For the cylinder freys coming off of the fabric, i made a cylinder and duplicated them around (much easier if you do 1 bunch first and duplicate that bunch). or you can use the "torn cloth brush" that you can find online. Let me know if that makes sense or if you have any more questions. Thanks!
  • Jane
    Offline / Send Message
    Jane polycounter lvl 2
    @carvuliero Thanks for your suggestions! i think you make great point about the whole body having to adjust to keep balance when wearing high heels. Also awesome references, they're extremely helpful to look at. I'll definitely see if I can revisit these aspects. Thanks a lot!
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    @Skinner3D Same thing applies to a T pose + extra bits that reflect arms been raised [scapula shoulder pecs/breast and so on]
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks awewsome, how exactly did you achieve that tearing/holes in the scarf within the sculpt?
  • Jane
    Offline / Send Message
    Jane polycounter lvl 2
    @Torch Thanks Torch! To get the big primary holes, before my scarf had holes I used "freeze subdivision levels" to be able to edit the geometry using Zmodeller and used Qmesh to punch in the general location holes. You can see an example of this in Michael's Pavlovich's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkS8Fs2DVF0&t=36s

After i got my holes and unfrozen my subdivision levels, it is a similar process as I described to Skinner, using the snakehook brush with a spray alpha and going in with the dam standard to refine the finer shapes. You can really experiment with what brush works here e.g. sometimes I used slash 2 brush from the lightbox. Hope that helps!

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is looking really good so far!  Are you going to end up dropping her into Unreal or Marmoset?
  • Jane
    Offline / Send Message
    Jane polycounter lvl 2
    @slosh Thanks Satoshi! Yes i am going to be rendering her in Marmoset and will probably drop her into Unreal too. Also I wanted to say your art is awesome and thank you for your tutorial on the "Scarf Girl" you created, I followed it to get the patterns to flow on my scarf too c:
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Awesome, can't wait to see you finish this!  Hah, I'm glad something I did came in handy.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks for the tip and awesome concept, are you hoping to pose her like in the concept too?
  • Jane
    Offline / Send Message
    Jane polycounter lvl 2
    @Torch Thanks Torch! I'm hoping to pose her standing in a confident pose with two swords, one in each hand, possibly with her head slightly looking up at the sky towards the rain. Perhaps I will try to pose her like the concept for fun too :D