Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Stylized Wizard

triangle
Offline / Send Message
labeeb triangle
So I started with this concept by Krzystof Roslan:
Won't be making the entire scene, just the wizard part.

Here are the high poly sculpts:

I used the Zremesher to make low poly and then brought them into my blockout in blender:

With the normal map and lighting:

After first texture pass:

I am just using a branch texture to achieve this lighting, let me know if there is a better solution that gives more control:

I will make the water a bit more cartoonish and fix the shadows which I think are a bit dark, but my main question; would be the ground, should I go with the reference i.e. grass texture with a few grass strands, or just fill the entire ground with foliage, let me know this or any other suggestion that you think will improve the scene overall. I don't wanna wait till end to ask feedback because then I don't have the energy to make those changes so better if I get some feedback now.
Thanks.

Replies

• labeeb
    Offline / Send Message
    labeeb triangle
    update:
    I went with full grass, not sure if its the right decision, i might try something stylized too at the end to see if that works better.
  • labeeb
    Offline / Send Message
    labeeb triangle
    Final, I made two water versions since muddy water was making it too green:

• ElyesBens
    Offline / Send Message
    ElyesBens polycounter lvl 5
    Hey , this concept looks cool, but i think you could refine the image even more with better texturing, i mean for a stylized theme i'm confused on why the water and the grass are so realistic while the rocks and wood are not ? if you're aiming for a mix between stylized and realistic you got to blend it better or go full stylized and ditch the realistic shaders and models. 

I'd add more variety to the textures for the wooden platform and the wizard's clothes (use substance painter) and avoid the plastic-y aspect of it, scatter a kinda stylized model of grass in patches and not fully cover it with mono color grass - i like the idea of the lighting but i think maybe you could work on it more to emphisis the shadows - Try to add depth to your image by adding elements in the foreground and background- Finally , maybe you could try a different image ratio and see if you can get a better composition out of it. 

Keep up the good work :D 

• labeeb
    Offline / Send Message
    labeeb triangle
    The plastic stuff I've been told at other places, but I'm not sure how to do it, since the roughness needs to be close to max for stylized stuff (I've read in many articles). A blend between the stylized and realistic sounds like fun, would you happen to know some resources for that, if not I might just go full stylized for this one.
    Maybe I'll create another scene that has stylized foliage and then bring that foliage into this scene later on.Feels like I need a little break from this scene.
    Thanks for your feedback.
  • labeeb
    Offline / Send Message
    labeeb triangle
    Gonna stop it here now :)