Home Technical Talk

Modelling and Texturing help - 16th Century Ship

Hi, 

I'm a second year student at uni - still pretty new to this. I am texturing a 16th Century Ship for a group project for a museum. I've just been given the model and wanted some feedback before texturing. It's currently really low poly and looks bumpy - does this need to be sorted before I begin texturing? If so what's the best way to do this. Also if you have any tips for texturing a ship in substance it would be greatly appreciate!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    The model isn't in great shape, but that's to be expected from someone learning how to model. The hull curvature does look bumpy and inaccurate, the cannon ports are just box holes, the gunwale has no depth, etc.

You're in a school group project, which presents a bunch of challenges.
    • You can't choose your team mates; you have to suck it up and work with what you've got. 
    • You can't train the others to help them improve. And you can't fire them.
    • Your instructor is likely overworked and underpaid, in addition to likely being inexperienced. Sad fact of underpaying instructors; you basically exclude skilled individuals.
    • Students are generally new to critique, so they're poor at giving and receiving feedback, causing tensions to run high faster than usual.
    • You have absurd deadlines, usually because of semester time schedules vs. the amount of training that's actually required.
    There are a bunch of things stacked against you here, so you'll just have to make the best of it.

Focus on what you want to learn; you can't solve the problems with this model, so just accept that parts of it will suck. Use this opportunity to put your head down and learn one thing as deeply as you can.

Substance Painter? Import the model as-is, and learn how to auto-uv it, and use layers. Read the help files (really!) and experiment.
  • ajmoore1
    Thanks! Yeah it's definitely tough and I'm also directing the project which gives a bit of added stress. Yeah there's only so much to be done in the time so I'll just do the best I can with what I've got! Appreciate the advice
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    The model isn't in great shape, but that's to be expected from someone learning how to model. The hull curvature does look bumpy and inaccurate, the cannon ports are just box holes, the gunwale has no depth, etc.

You're in a school group project, which presents a bunch of challenges.
    • You can't choose your team mates; you have to suck it up and work with what you've got. 
    • You can't train the others to help them improve. And you can't fire them.
    • Your instructor is likely overworked and underpaid, in addition to likely being inexperienced. Sad fact of underpaying instructors; you basically exclude skilled individuals.
    • Students are generally new to critique, so they're poor at giving and receiving feedback, causing tensions to run high faster than usual.
    • You have absurd deadlines, usually because of semester time schedules vs. the amount of training that's actually required.
    There are a bunch of things stacked against you here, so you'll just have to make the best of it.

Focus on what you want to learn; you can't solve the problems with this model, so just accept that parts of it will suck. Use this opportunity to put your head down and learn one thing as deeply as you can.

Substance Painter? Import the model as-is, and learn how to auto-uv it, and use layers. Read the help files (really!) and experiment.

<3

Right in the feels lol. I'm going to link a load of uni game art students this post.