Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Father Nier Fanart

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
wHromek polycounter lvl 2
Hello! I've been really excited for the remake of Nier: Replicant coming out this April, so a few months back I decided to start modeling the protagonist from Nier: Gestalt. I've reached a point in my sculpt where I'm happy enough with it to post it here for feedback:

I'm about halfway through refining the final pieces of the sculpt. There are still a few details and proportional issues I have to correct but overall I'm pleased with my current progress. I hope to complete the final model by mid-April.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Is he suppose to be giant or something proportions look really weird like Michelangelo weird , best thing now will be to strip him naked and work on proportion and pose
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out @carvuliero, I didn't realize I'd let the proportions get away from me so badly. I've done what you said, and right now I'm trying to correct the body and resize the clothing I've already made to fit. Here is my current progress:

I've also included the basemesh I'm using as a size reference, just in case it has issues I'm not seeing.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Still look kind of oversized , I check for some references and he look like a regular hero guy with bigger then normal arms[not in this image] from what I could find which is not much there are bunch stuff about the girls obviously even ortho concept art .Do you have good ref of him probably art book have concept art or screenshot from the game or you could pick some guy 1,90[6feet] for a base
    This is him right ?

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The anatomy looks scratched on instead of deep and grounded. Its only personal preference but, to make it easier to sculpt I would relax the pose and give it some weight by placing the hips slightly forward, lowering the arms to an 'A', and splaying the feet out a bit. Might also be handy to show the naked figure to start.
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update. Based on the feedback I've gotten I decided to spend the weekend finding better reference for this character. Unfortunately, not too much exists that I consider useful for a project like this. Here's the current revised moodboard I've come up with:

I think the reason my original upload had such bizarre proportions is because I drew too exclusively from this original concept art of Father Nier. Moving forward I'll use a more generic male model for reference. After some digging, I was able to come up with some good shots of the in-game model that I'll also be referencing:

Here is my current progress:

I've been trying to revise the anatomy as best I can, however my current model is only really the upper torso. I'll likely just restart the body from scratch and remake the clothes. I just need to figure out how much needs to be completely scrapped and if I have enough time to do so and remain on schedule. Wish me luck!
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Upper figure looks alot better!
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a small break from the main character sculpt to create this prop sword for the final scene:

I tried to keep the design closer to the original weapon, but where I couldn't find good reference I used the version from Nier: Automata. I think it turned out pretty well, but let me know what you think!