Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Urban Japanese Street - Evening

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
shermanwaffle polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone! I've finished my Japanese Street environment rendered in Unity HDRP. It's modular and I made nearly everything from scratch. I used metal, wood, and plastic trim sheets along with tiling textures and edge decals. The texel density is 2048px/3m. Side note: I'm not sure what the Japanese means in this scene, so don't read it meaningfully.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NxeVa1

Breakdown: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8eabPQ

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Nice job. I feel like some of the edge decals are a bit too obvious, like in the third shot. Can you show the trim sheets you made?
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice stuff.  Would also love to see a breakdown if you have the time.  
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job. I feel like some of the edge decals are a bit too obvious, like in the third shot. Can you show the trim sheets you made?
    Yeah, looking back, I definitely could've masked them. I'll show the trimsheets in the breakdown I'm working on. Thanks for the feedback
    Firebert said:
    Thanks! I'm currently working on a breakdown. I'd like for it to be pretty extensive with every step of the way covered, so it might take some more time
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow that's beautiful
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert said:
    Breakdown published! Check it out:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8eabPQ
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message

Warning: A lot of upcoming images!

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Looks very clean, neat & very proffesional! I love this! Looks like a gameplay area I would wanna explore
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very clean, neat & very proffesional! I love this! Looks like a gameplay area I would wanna explore
    Thank you, that means a lot!
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks pretty good, but you could push this over the top by re-aranging your assets on the cherry blossom tree. Yours looks a bit unnatural and artificial as the blossoms all point up. I'd study up a bit more on the structure of these trees and I'd also see if you can soften it somehow, the harsh shadows are not doing the piece any favors. It should fee light, and like a cloud...yet currently it's a little rough looking due to all the AO and shadows. 

You could look at the cherry blossom trees in Overwatch (sorry the map escapes me atm, but could be a good resource). Understood it's stylized, but I do remember those trees looking great. Also I'd expect to see a few petals littering the ground a bit more naturally...because the contrast isn't enough you're loosing a lot of the impact/contrast. 

This environment is screaming for a bicycle, car, or rickshaw....

The patterns on the awnings are also a bit tight, will always be noisy when viewed at a distance....Almost done...Keep going.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    love the images. Had a question about the buildings. I see that you have modular pieces. Did you create basic shapes for the buildings and then use modular pieces on top of that, for example there is the triangle rooftop. Just curious how much of the modular pieces make up the buildings and how much of the buildings are unique. 
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
    love the images. Had a question about the buildings. I see that you have modular pieces. Did you create basic shapes for the buildings and then use modular pieces on top of that, for example there is the triangle rooftop. Just curious how much of the modular pieces make up the buildings and how much of the buildings are unique. 
    Everything is made modularly, so there are no underlying unique shapes for the buildings. These are all my roof pieces

The base layer is just paper-thin wall pieces (I even rotated the half wall by 90 degrees to get an in-between wall height). Then, I added roof and extension pieces. And lastly, I added windows and some other details.
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    I know it might feel really picky but as a small note about the japanese writings and so on: might be worth trying to get a nice translation for you pannel; feels kinda weird to have a random english pannel explaining that they are closed in fluent english. I would suggest to give a go to this kind of app: https://hinative.com/en-US where you can get some answer from native people.
    For the rest I can just + what @pixelpatron said: that 3 wheels bike would be marvelous!
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova said:
    I know it might feel really picky but as a small note about the japanese writings and so on: might be worth trying to get a nice translation for you pannel; feels kinda weird to have a random english pannel explaining that they are closed in fluent english. I would suggest to give a go to this kind of app: https://hinative.com/en-US where you can get some answer from native people.
    For the rest I can just + what @pixelpatron said: that 3 wheels bike would be marvelous!
    Yeah, I ran into exactly that problem! It's tricky doing a Japanese scene when you don't know the language. I appreciate the translation tool, I'll definitely check that out! And unfortunately, I have very little experience with modeling vehicles so that might be a challenge for me.
  • Elivenger
    Offline / Send Message
    Elivenger polycounter lvl 2
    Bravo! This is super well done! Love all the polishing you did on each of the props and how it contributes to the overall scene! 
  • shermanwaffle
    Offline / Send Message
    Elivenger said:
    Bravo! This is super well done! Love all the polishing you did on each of the props and how it contributes to the overall scene! 
    Thanks so much! This project took sooo long for me but I learned a lot along the way. For instance, I specifically focused a lot on the histogram in Photoshop. I noticed how certain scenes I liked had really nice, sloped values in the histogram. For some reason in Unity, I had a lot of trouble trying to replicate that curve. Even in the end, it's not perfectly smooth but I'm happy with it.