Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: rollin

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
So I now finally create my own sketchbook. 

I'm currently modding Disco Elysium and therefore I'm creating a few custom models. (character + pants + shoes)

I use this to get going with modding unity games. For my own pleasure and because I want to make DwarfMines also mod friendly.
I also use it to test Marvelous Designer 9 retopo tools

I got around to get a clean highpoly out of it which I can now start sculpting.
But I guess the next MD release will come with some new retopo features bc it's currently really basic and doesn't live up to the quality of the rest of the software.

The process was:
- build garment in MD
- build basic retopo in MD
- save (!)
- rise garment resolution
- simulate
- export high res garment
- up divisions of retopo
- export retopo
- close MD _without_ saving (as currently it's not possible to return to lower retopo-subdivisions and it's impossible to effectively work with the high-res retopo we exported)
- import both into blender
- split by relevant section (like belt loops, pockets, etc.)
- weld open edges of retopo (if done properly in MD a simple weld modifier usually does 95% of the job)
- subdivide retopo (simple mode)
- shrink-wrap retopo to highpoly (closest point)

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ok first clothes texture pass.. I'm trying to match the style of the game.. This wired painterly grunge-mess-whatever
    I'm also using comparable specs with respect to the original game files
    body 1024er
    trousers 512er
    boots 256er

As you might know: the game view shows the models from iso-like top-down.. So the shot in the upper right should simulate this view angle a bit (now as I look at it it should be a bit less steep I guess) 

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Here we go. 
    I wrote some unity custom tools to build a mapping layout to map my incoming bone indices to the ones from the original models. 
    The rest is done via UtinyRipper for extracting the complete assets content and Unity Assets Bundle Extractor for replacing the files within the original pack file with the new ones

Considering that polycount was born from custom models there are faaaaar too little posted these days :(

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nice job :)
    I'm no char artist, specialize in another discipline but anyway in my opinion those folds on the pants look really good especially when inengine.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @sacboi Naa.. just boring Marvelous Designer simulation zzzzz
    The game doesn't utilizes specular or roughness maps as far as I can tell, so my assets are a bit.. "over dressed" 

But the important part is that it's possible to mod models of ANY unity game made with an engine version which outputs the .assets archives :heart:
    I mean.. imagine the possibilities!! :scream:

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    When @pior posted his sweet street fighter model of Q (in what.. 2016?!)
    I wrote in my games-to-mod.txt file:
    STREET FIGHTER !!!

Well.. it took a few years but now I'm in! 
    No specific character except my own 
    Just doodling around a bit

Btw: Who came up with this incredibly annoying default pose? Last time I saw this was Jedi Knight Outcast and I still don't understand why this should be necessary... I guess an animator or programmer came up with it. ;)

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hell yeah ! If anything, SFV is about an order of magnitude easier to mod than SFIV as everything goes through UE4. And yeah that A-pose sure makes things feel a bit awkward modeling-wise ... but the silver lining is that it motivates one to close the loop by actually exporting the model to the game to see it in context. 

On that topic I'd highly suggest figuring out the export/modding aspect as early as possible, as opposed to being tempted to work on the art side of a model for weeks on end. Otherwise one runs the risk of being stuck by very annoying technical roadblocks later on and potentially having to redo things, which is always frustrating.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pior said:
    Hell yeah ! If anything, SFV is about an order of magnitude easier to mod than SFIV as everything goes through UE4. And yeah that A-pose sure makes things feel a bit awkward modeling-wise ... but the silver lining is that it motivates one to close the loop by actually exporting the model to the game to see it in context. 

On that topic I'd highly suggest figuring out the export/modding aspect as early as possible, as opposed to being tempted to work on the art side of a model for weeks on end. Otherwise you run the risk of being stuck by very annoying technical roadblocks later on and potentially having to redo things, which is always frustrating.
    Hi @pior !
    Cool then I'm glad I skipped IV ;)

And I've done the technical stuff already. Just as you said I usually do this first.
    But I had - or better - still have a stupid issue with the fbx export from blender to unreal 4: https://developer.blender.org/T47043
    Exporting via max does work perfectly though.. 

How have you done it?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha interesting, I don't think I've ran into that. That said ... I don't remember ever having to setup physics assets at all for SFV modding in the first place anyways. I mean it in the sense that they likely *can* be overriden, but IIRC they don't actually *need* to be. I could be wrong though, it was a little while ago now.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I don't think the physics asset is necessary here but this bone matrix (?) issue makes the model in game invisible (maybe very small?)
    Ok but thx anyway! I'll find a way to get from blender to unreal for sure. Maybe I can get rid of the issue if I import the original bones in a different way to blender. Atm I'm using a psk importer script. This might screw something up...

And it wouldn't be modding if not at least one stupid problem exists :D

Cheers!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    God I hated that A pose, sure brings back memory,
    Can't wait to see what you end up doing :)
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    rollin said:

I guess an animator or programmer came up with it. ;)
    idk but from my own experience with these area's the spread eagle version / pose helps skinning those areas better.  Otherwise you (now a days dependent on your application) (mine max) i'd have to Alt+x see-through and guess which vert goes where and or deal with a nest of verts being an issue.(pits / taint)  If you were being sarcastic i couldn't tell.

Nice stuff above that post (Disco Elysium).  Thanks for stopping by have a bump.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Cheers @DavidCruz

So I'm now jumping around in time a bit. I did this model at the end of 2018 but never really manage to show it. Recently I started to fiddle with it a bit again and thought this is a good time to show a preview. I have removed all colors for the preview.

This is a early test for the scene I want to do

Made it initially with max but have moved everything over to blender now 

This was the base mesh I had posted in the WIP back then

@Tits : you probably know this default pose too..  ;) great game!

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @rollin This default pause eh? Is it Xcom?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ok, again completely switching to something else. Again bit older and not such an impressive model BUT .. this is my very very first mod for a console.. and then Nintendo and then for Zelda BOTW on the Switch..  > <3

Was a lot of work actually to bring it onto the console (even with some great tutorials and mod tools around)
    I first tested it on an emulator until I was sure it would work. Then I hunted for a switch with a serial indicating that it was able to run custom firmware, bought BOTW and then it was just a matter of injecting the modded files via SD card.

Not yet beaten BOTW and it's still amazing to see this on a handheld console whenever I continue playing. 

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Started to play Disco Elysium again so revisiting my char too -
    Goal should be to have a full set of clothing, including a shirt, glasses and a hat.  :#  
    Atm it's all about lazy experiments with the new brushes in SP, learning more tricks in MD and bits of lights and Eevee in Blender  :o

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Some more progress on the coat and belt. 
    Also he has a hat now - though not yet sure where this will end up :hushed:

And I spotted the biceps was too short in the last update and fixed it since..

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, none of your images are showing up for me. Maybe a setting in your site's Cpanel? I also have this problem with images hosted on my own site, maybe because Polycount is expecting https: links?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hey Eric.
    This is interesting and makes sense.. Though they show up for me at least.. :weary: Guess I have to eventually get an ssl cert for my page :grimace:
    Thx for letting me know.. !!

Currently I'm testing this skinning-by-proxy thing with blender as skinning the asymmetric coat is really annoying.
    Though it really works nicely with the "DataTransfer" modifier and "Project Face Interpolated" vertex group capture.

And bc it's boring for pics I'm testing with colors and lights a bit. (Probably this pic will also not show up for all but I'll see what I can do) :trollface:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    U can also simply drag and drop here, we host for free.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Why do you host for free?! Nothing in the world is for free!! :open_mouth:

Ok and I'm able to recreate the issue with edge and chrome - firefox and vivaldi work :-1:  
    Thx again, I really didn't know :astonished:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're committed to supporting the community of feedback, sharing workflows, etc. Stable content hosting is a part of that.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ok I've installed a ssl cert for my page. I checked the thread quickly with all major desktop browsers and images seem to load now. @Eric Chadwick
  • Eric Chadwick
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    This was absurdly too much fun - had to force me to stop.
    Guess I now have to learn how to make hair in blender :open_mouth:

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
     All cloth is now baked down and substanted.
    Still doing some texture tweaks here and there.
    And I have to fix the skinning for the coat and the leather strap hanging on the hips.

And some progress on the service gun

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nice work on your char and some clean modeling on the gun too :+1:

Just out of curiosity, was wondering if the cylinder detailing was modeled flat, then bent into shape?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @sacboi
    cheers.. actually no. It's one segment that is duplicated, welded and subdivided with a modifier stack

So I'm bit unsteadily working on stuff. 
    New game new funky ref pose.. Who knows which one it is??

Atm I'm working on the textures and skinning and polishing bits of the high poly.
    This time I added my own ref pose to the range-of-motion animation bc I just want some good old artsy ref-pose please!
    ps: I'm now a huge fan of marvelous (top-)stitches tool. Export as mesh, bake id map and you got a sweet mask for coloring etc.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Just recently I realised that it is now possible to mod Jedi: Fallen Order.

Just had to drop everything and start working on some character mod:

Basic concept of what I have in mind. Though I will have to see how these forms hold true in 3D and conform to the rig.

And beware some funky perspectives .. 😬

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Disclaimer: I'm completely randomly posting pics to various projects I'm working on atm. I really have to post some pics of the above chars in their games.. :0

Anyways.. I heard it's possible to mod Spider-Man Remastered.. so guess what:

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

I managed to create some beauty shots for one of the models I did last year.

More images can be found on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VJ2e8N