Home Technical Talk

Topology in curved flat meshes?

Hello, so I have this model:

I have been trying to think of ways to do the topology here but I can't really come up with something that is very clean and I'm not sure how it's supposed to be done. I tried to google it but no luck.
Does anyone know what sort of workflow I'm supposed to use?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what is the purpose of this mish? is this going to be a highpoly? is it a lowpoly?
  • wandering_snail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    what is the purpose of this mish? is this going to be a highpoly? is it a lowpoly?
    It's a low poly and then I will bake the high poly textures into it.
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    I'd suggest to avoid flat surface vertices as much as possible, the only "rule" that would allow to let a little vertex in the middle of a flat surface would be "avoid tiny-long triangles", else, there's no need to put vertices in the middle of a flat surface
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yes.
    It's better to run edges across the surface than to create a pole in the middle. 

From a rendering perspective one of the least efficient things you can do is have more than one triangle in a screen pixel(technically 2*2 pixels if we're being picky). Poles and thin triangles make that happen so they should be avoided. 

However.  When you're dealing with top lods it's not really a big deal in sensible cases. If you're close enough to see a top Lod it's probably obscuring thousands of background triangles so you can afford for it to be a bit inefficient if that means you get the appearance you're looking for.
  • wandering_snail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone! I have connected the vertexes on opposite sides and I think it kind of works. I have some triangles in parts because the number of vertices didn't match but it will probably be fine.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game models are always all triangles in the end. We use quads in authoring just to make things easier. But in-game it's always triangles.