Home Marmoset

Suggestions & / Feature / Request / wish list thread.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DavidCruz interpolator
Where does one ask for features or suggestion ways to make this renderer better ? 

I wanted to make one cause i had a few things i wanted to get past the devs: looked around didn't see a thread thought i should make one if anyone else had any ideas.

/suggestions\

Ability to turning off materials, (to find what is using which easier)

single clicking objects to turn off shadows / back facing - fix.
hold shift select all desired to turn off.plz.ty. 

option to make locked items unselectable.(click lock re-enables.)

If objects get packed into each-other(by manual moving), change color from blue box icon to red or other? to indicate there are objects within the object +box.

Easy Quick low/medium/high pix/video options.
Drop down, maybe allow for custom low / medi / hi save settings list.(to prevent crashes on weak machines / accidental closing.) ^Just for the lazy of us.(sometimes me.)

If any more information is needed to what i mean by any of these i can do some mock up, u.i. visuals to help make more sense of the above. (i am usually off the net for long periods of time so might be a bit till i see a response.)

/suggestions\
Hope this is cool.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Well came up with another idea i really think could work well, I am not apart of any beta,alpha so if this comes out or is already implemented i just had a good guess.

Ability to make your own shader configurations, so adding to the materials anything you want specular then [+] <under it add a specular color , ect, unlimited (any and everything you can add) if doubles are a thing you could do, like two alpha's since people like to use them, just an idea. (probably wrong but i've seen people request at the extra's section an alpha only option addition to an already used alpha texture.) I'd want this cause i do odd things that are probably wrong but i like to mess around like that sometimes.

Hope it helps, surprised nobody has participated guess the rest just use engines for their needs, makes sense.

Marmo 4 is out(or at least artstation is pimping an ad for it.) but no word on pc ? ooph. i'll look at the update infor now, i just saw it and posted this at 11 AM - edited it just now 7 or so hours later, wonder if my guess above was right.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    How about a 'classic' edition that's only containing the viewer/scene-set up part?

Cheap and cheerful as it used to be so you can share scenes with clients directly or make nice looking renders of your realtime assets without having to fiddle with a full blown game engine.

Now I have to go and wipe tea off my screen - where it mysteriously manifested after I saw the new prices.

• CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I was hoping for some kind of round-edge shader baking in the new Marmoset. Any plans to implement something like that?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I was hoping for some kind of round-edge shader baking in the new Marmoset. Any plans to implement something like that?
    Amen to that :) 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    A Shortcuts Editor. The ability to set shortcuts we want to anything we'd like (viewport actions, tool selection, bring up active camera/skylight/render settings, workspace switching...). Ideally it would be nice to have some form of scripting too to automate certain actions, and assign those to a hotkey, if we wanted to. 
  • EarthQuake
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've added those to our suggestion list.

"Easy Quick low/medium/high pix/video options." @DavidCruz there is a dropdown next to the resolution section to set various resolutions, ie: 720P, 1080P, 4K, etc, is this what you mean? 
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    support back all scale methods in animations like in 3.03 could be supercool (like suggested here : https://polycount.com/discussion/220323/non-compensated-scale-on-a-child-joint-makes-its-rotate-wrong-if-parent-joint-has-a-non-uniform-scal#latest  I really hope you're working on a fix), since it was actually the only version that handled 1/1 what I animate.

A shader graph like one you have in unreal (even with super simple nodes like add/mult/linear interpolate/panner/constant/texcoord/vector3/vector4/power/sin/cos...well, I think you get the point) to allow us making matching materials logic with our own pipelines

Allow for each texture to sample RGBA, R, G, B, A channels together or separately (maybe having a checkbox in front of each channel so you could choose to use constant, 2Dcoord...etc) and choose among available UVSet or at least more than UV0/UV1

Edit : if FOV isn't supported in camera import from FBX, it would be a super interesting addition =) (if it already is, I'd be extremely happy to know how to proceed to import its keyframed data)

• NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    Vexod14 said:

A shader graph like one you have in unreal (even with super simple nodes like add/mult/linear interpolate/panner/constant/texcoord/vector3/vector4/power/sin/cos...well, I think you get the point) to allow us making matching materials logic with our own pipelines

Marmoset is already taking on substance painter and doing a great job at it, it still needs some refinement but it works very well. A shader graph if comprehensive enough would allow them to take on substance designer as well. If that happens I would want it to be after the current texturing sees some more enhancements. I also wouldnt want the dev team to be spread to thin. None the less a shader graph is a cool idea. 

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Yeah, I would love shader graph indeed.   In fact i would so much prefer if Adobe just add SPainter brush engine  to Substance designer,  

I would love to see node graph in Marmoset  texturing  tool too.  Just like Mari having it  and 3dcoat  promised recently . In many cases the graph  is easier to comprehend , read  and remember than a mess of layers and masks.   

Let  it be with  layers  and  masks be totally node graph  based  if necessary .    SPainter added their anchors  but couple weeks later  I have to waste lots  of  my time to figure out  what a mess I did in this file  while  node graphs are  usually simpler to read.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    @NhodgesVFX  @gnoop not sure if a "shader graph" as used to build what will receive your maps both in-game and in-previs (Toolbag) is the same and has the same impact than a "texture graph" (aka what substance designer do). I think at some point it could be nice, indeed, to be able making crazy smarmaterials graphs like we do in designer, but here I'm not talking about a way to "generate" textures but "how-to proceed them" inside a final shader, which is in my opinion a slightly different thing. My goal here would be to create one single master material, like we do in unreal, so... using a graph with textures (which could come directly at some point from other "graphs" but made only in the goal to generate these maps and not the final surface with all its realtime effects), and then you could decline this material in as any instances as you want (this is already the case technically : Toolbag gives us premade shaders but we do not have a simple way to edit them like unreal's shader graph offers)
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    A couple more things to add to the suggestions.

1. Symmetry for texture painting
    2. a way to draw a strait line when using the brush tool, like holding shift.
    3. Saw this on the fb group but +1 for a way to paint by polygon
    4. Emission currently does not emit light when using the raytracing engine, it would be nice if it did Edit: it does
    5. Currently light gels in raytracing doesn't work. Maybe this is a bug as it does work in the rasterizer
    6. Multiple GPU support for rendering
    7. A way to instance scenes, this way if your working on a large project you can split it into subprojects and have a main project where you can arrange and render them. It would be cool if the instance would update if there source is changed.

I listed them in order of importance for me.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    Vexod14 said:
    @NhodgesVFX  @gnoop not sure if a "shader graph" as used to build what will receive your maps both in-game and in-previs (Toolbag) is the same and has the same impact than a "texture graph" (aka what substance designer do). I think at some point it could be nice, indeed, to be able making crazy smarmaterials graphs like we do in designer, but here I'm not talking about a way to "generate" textures but "how-to proceed them" inside a final shader, which is in my opinion a slightly different thing. My goal here would be to create one single master material, like we do in unreal, so... using a graph with textures (which could come directly at some point from other "graphs" but made only in the goal to generate these maps and not the final surface with all its realtime effects), and then you could decline this material in as any instances as you want (this is already the case technically : Toolbag gives us premade shaders but we do not have a simple way to edit them like unreal's shader graph offers)
    there doesn't need to be a distinction between them, a shader graph which makes a final shader like ue4 can be used in the same fashion as substance designer. The distinction between them is the fact that substance has more nodes for texture creation and exports the results to texture maps rather then to a final shader like ue4. All that needs to be done to get them to work together is have the nodes and a way to bake the final shader to textures maps.
  • EarthQuake
    @NhodgesVFX thanks for the feedback. Emissive does emit light when using ray tracing. What problems were you having with this?
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    @NhodgesVFX thanks for the feedback. Emissive does emit light when using ray tracing. What problems were you having with this?
    ok nevermind, I now realize you also need to adjust the glow parameter for it to work if you don't have a texture map. I tried this but forgot I was in draft mode. my bad
  • EarthQuake
    ok nevermind, I now realize you also need to adjust the glow parameter for it to work if you don't have a texture map. I tried this but forgot I was in draft mode. my bad
    Okay, no worries. Lighting with emissives can be a lot of fun, one of our testers made a complex scene lit entirely with emissive and it looked great. The drawback to using emissives is they need more samples to resolve than direct lights, so you may want to increase your sample count if they play a big role in your lighting.
  • ryanroye
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanroye polycounter lvl 4
    A Simple frame (or time) offset for Alembic files would be nice.
  • Mr-Brett
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr-Brett polycounter lvl 5
    It would be nice to be able to lock a camera's transform. So many times I've got one in a good place and then later not realized I was piloting it and moved it.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    Mr-Brett said:
    It would be nice to be able to lock a camera's transform. So many times I've got one in a good place and then later not realized I was piloting it and moved it.
    you can do that now with the lock icon in the scene inspector, that locks everything though not just the transform, which may or may not be not what you want. 

• Mr-Brett
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr-Brett polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent, thanks NhodgesVFX :)

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I got to play around more with TB4 with a sculpt I made for an art challenge and I was able to make my mind on some wishlist points. Some of these may already be achievable, and perhaps I just haven't found the right way or place to do it.  

Features wishes:
    • Be able to render shadow and occlusion passes. These two are ultra important for compositing needs.
    • Be able to unlink light properties overrides when moving around child lights inside the Sky Light Editor thumbnail. The overrides are useful, but since using the thumbnail is the fastest way to move around lights and iterate new looks and illumination, it's a pity that once you have the lights you need you can't use them here without the app resetting everything every time you move to a new position. 
    Regarding the UI:
    • Don't get why it would be a good idea to reset your scrollbar everytime you do a new action. For example, choosing a new camera, or removing it, in the render output settings resets the scrollbar, which ends up disorientating and wasting my time in going back to the place inside the properties where I was tweaking things. Example:

• Massive UI lag when the scene gets heavy, to the point where it takes multiple clicks and key presses to register actions inside UI text fields, ctrl Z becoming unusable due to the time it takes to go back...Nothing really to report or suggest on how to improve other than "I hope it gets faster and more responsive asap". 

Really liking TB4 so far. Hopefully development won't abandon updates on baking, rendering and illumination tools due to the new texturing additions.
  • Lord Berandas
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Berandas polycounter lvl 9
    I could really use a rectangular selection tool in the viewport. I'm very often working with large assemblies of objects and having to select everything one by one is a pain.

Also having transform fields capable of simple math operations would be apropriate for 2020 (for example adding "+90" to the rotation transform does not produce the correct result)...currently they only retain the whole string and nothing happens.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    @Justo the resolution parameter was moved to a little cog wheel in the top right of the viewport.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @NhodgesVFX I see - thanks for pointing this out to me :)
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    1. Create a dedicated forum directly on the Marmoset website. Why something like this does not exist already is beyond me. When people have a problem or question related to Marmoset Toolbag, they need to find a solution, and they might need it rather quickly. I am active in the Substance Painter community on the Allegorithmic website on a daily basis helping others, and so are lots of other people. A good community is essential to an application, and building up a community is hard without an official forum.

When I post a question here on the polycount website related to Marmoset Toolbag, it might take days to get an answer, and I might not get an answer at all.

2. You need a lot more in-depth tutorials, especially now that Toolbag 4 has texturing tools. I'm coming from Substance Painter, and am fighting really hard to understand the workflow in Toolbag from start to finish, especially setting up the layers . Create a tutorial with a specific project, from importing the object, baking the textures, setting up a complex smart material. 

ZBrush or Substance Painter for example are not so successfull only because they are good applications, but also because you can find tutorials for everything online, and you can find it quickly. There are people producing professional level tutorials for ZBrush on a daily basis, you can watch hours upon hours of those on Youtube.

There is very little about Toolbag 4 on youtube, and what is there only touches the surface of whats actually possible in the application.

I was trying to find out something simple about Toolbag 4: is there an eyedropper tool hidden somewhere that can pick colors from the viewport (very basic functionality if you ask me)? I can't find the answer, noone posts here in the forum, probably because the other people don't know the answer either. I must assume that there simply is no such functionality in Toolbag.

This is not good. The best features mean nothing if the people don't understand how to use them, and need to figure everything out for themselves. Toolbag developers need to be much more active, answer the questions yourself - which is easier in the forum you administer yourself - if you see that there is noone else out there to do it.

3. The layer tree needs to be readable better. I'm assigning a smart material, and am having a hard time figuring out how it is built exactly. Introduce color coding, it is very hard to read which layer and which mask belongs where and does what.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    re: a color picker/eyedropper,I asked this a month ago and got an answer from EQ;
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, a color picker is something we would like to add in a future update.

Not an employee of Marmoset of course, and I agree with the underlying sentiment of your requests, but do keep in mind that it is the holidays (literally Christmas day today in some places) and this update came out about a month ago. I think it's currently within the norm of expectations for responses to be a bit slow. You could also try the facebook group, though... well, it's facebook.

I do however second the request for a more formal tutorial series regarding Toolbag 4. It would be great to see the kind of stuff Toolbag 3 got eventually, or something similar to Substance's feature introduction videos.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    It would be great to get the ability to import substances that was previously in version 3, this would help a lot of users migrate from or use tb4 in conjunction with the substance suite. If it does come back a nice way to use it in painting would be needed as well.
  • EarthQuake
    wilson66 said:
    1. Create a dedicated forum directly on the Marmoset website. Why something like this does not exist already is beyond me. When people have a problem or question related to Marmoset Toolbag, they need to find a solution, and they might need it rather quickly. I am active in the Substance Painter community on the Allegorithmic website on a daily basis helping others, and so are lots of other people. A good community is essential to an application, and building up a community is hard without an official forum.

When I post a question here on the polycount website related to Marmoset Toolbag, it might take days to get an answer, and I might not get an answer at all.

2. You need a lot more in-depth tutorials, especially now that Toolbag 4 has texturing tools. I'm coming from Substance Painter, and am fighting really hard to understand the workflow in Toolbag from start to finish, especially setting up the layers . Create a tutorial with a specific project, from importing the object, baking the textures, setting up a complex smart material. 

ZBrush or Substance Painter for example are not so successfull only because they are good applications, but also because you can find tutorials for everything online, and you can find it quickly. There are people producing professional level tutorials for ZBrush on a daily basis, you can watch hours upon hours of those on Youtube.

There is very little about Toolbag 4 on youtube, and what is there only touches the surface of whats actually possible in the application.

I was trying to find out something simple about Toolbag 4: is there an eyedropper tool hidden somewhere that can pick colors from the viewport (very basic functionality if you ask me)? I can't find the answer, noone posts here in the forum, probably because the other people don't know the answer either. I must assume that there simply is no such functionality in Toolbag.

This is not good. The best features mean nothing if the people don't understand how to use them, and need to figure everything out for themselves. Toolbag developers need to be much more active, answer the questions yourself - which is easier in the forum you administer yourself - if you see that there is noone else out there to do it.

3. The layer tree needs to be readable better. I'm assigning a smart material, and am having a hard time figuring out how it is built exactly. Introduce color coding, it is very hard to read which layer and which mask belongs where and does what.
    Thanks for the feedback.

1. For immediate support, please email support@marmoset.co. We get a small number of posts on Polycount so responses may be somewhat sporadic. As BagelHero mentions, this is the winter holiday period and most of our team is not at work at the moment so you can expect extra delays to questions posted here until the new year. Our support staff is available though, so you can email if you have an urgent question.

We do not have a dedicated forum system at the moment, but there are two user groups on Facebook if you wish to interact with other users:
    - Toolbag User Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToolbagUserGroup
    - Toolbag Tester Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155052679279363

The latter was our beta testing group - we're keeping it open for feedback/bug reports/etc and will likely post early access builds there in the future.

2. We have a Toolbag 4 video tutorial series here: https://marmoset.co/resources/ - Hannah is working on an in-depth tutorial for the texturing tools as well. This should be available sometime in early 2021.

3. Can you tell me a little more about this? The arrows and lines showing the hierarchial relationships are not clear?
  • EarthQuake
    It would be great to get the ability to import substances that was previously in version 3, this would help a lot of users migrate from or use tb4 in conjunction with the substance suite. If it does come back a nice way to use it in painting would be needed as well.
    Unfortunately this is not possible - for reasons out of our control.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    Another Couple Suggestions,

Maybe I cant find the feature but the user library is limited right now, I would like to be able to add my own folders, Currently if you add your own folder it doesn't show up in the library. It would also be nice to be able to save a regular material instead of a smart material.

Some improvements to the python API,
    • A way to access user paths such as the users library path
    • an api to save things to the library
    • an api for the new texturing tools
    • one of the more important ones, currently a plugin using pip will install the module every time the plugin is initialized regardless of whether it was previously installed or not. It should only install the module if it wasn't already installed.

• EarthQuake
    Another Couple Suggestions,

Maybe I cant find the feature but the user library is limited right now, I would like to be able to add my own folders, Currently if you add your own folder it doesn't show up in the library. It would also be nice to be able to save a regular material instead of a smart material.

Some improvements to the python API,
    • A way to access user paths such as the users library path
    • an api to save things to the library
    • an api for the new texturing tools
    • one of the more important ones, currently a plugin using pip will install the module every time the plugin is initialized regardless of whether it was previously installed or not. It should only install the module if it wasn't already installed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Custom folders are not possible to add to the library at this time. This is something we'll consider adding in a future version.

You can save materials as well as smart materials to the library system. To save a new material, create a material from the material editor and drag it into the library.

Python support for the texturing system is something we plan to develop.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    A few more suggestions : 

-Add default subdiv method in prefs so you can decide to use PN triangles instead of catmull clark by default
    -Allow to modify common properties of multiple selected assets, for example if I select 5 meshes, I want to be able to activate backface culling on 5 with one clic, change their default tangent space/triangulation method...etc. Same for each object parameters. If common properties are found, then these could be editable and brought to unified value by parameters on each selected object
    -When reimporting objects, do not reset properties that belongs in toolbag (like shaders applied or camera post process settings).
    -In the same logic, If I keyed some attributes of these objects in toolbag, keys should stay in toolbag and not get wiped out due to non-existing-toolbag-params in FBX. If I want to restart an edit from scratch, I delete the mesh/camera and I import it again.
    - Bring back the good old Additive transparency mode
    - Add a depth fade option (would be cool for forcefield effects and grass-to-ground blend trick)
    - Add Vertex color channel in emissive
    - Add R/G/B/A list channels in emissive map (ideally as well for any map slot, useful when using packed B&W textures)
    - Allow to use ZDepth as a postprocess (custom fog, desaturate by distance...)
    - Add an exponential height fog (same as UE4, great for landscapes)
    - Allow to use fog + matte-shadow plane without viewing the plane borders
    - For animated shots, I guess a motion blur is planned, but just in case I wanted to remind it here since I would love it =D
    - Display current frame at current timeline position (useful to sync with anim authoring apps)
    - Lock aspect ratio, so if I change L or H value, the other updates proportionnaly
    - Allow to render 360 image at superhuge rez to create HDRI directly from the current scene
    - Allow to key near clip plane on camera

Cheers !
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    • Copy/paste material properties (i.e. right click the microsurface properties on MaterialA, paste to MaterialB)
    • Select multiple materials to batch export without having to export entire scene
    • Hotkey to toggle minimize/maximize all panels.
    • Color picker
    • The gizmo is a little screwy - sometimes rotation is reverse from what you expect. This is my primary complaint about TBG: It's always difficult to do much scene setup beyond a simple character, so I end up doing it in Maya first.
    • Gizmo that is able to snap to components.
    • Gizmo customization options al la Maya. (size, width, selection hover distance, etc)
    • Gizmo can increase/decrease size, which leverages movement speed al la Maya (i.e. if I make the rotation gizmo larger, i get finer control.)
    • Support for instancing. Render huge forest without the drag.
    • Auto billboard baker
    • Texturing: Select by UV shells without needing to use texture map
    • Texturing: Select by geometry islands without needing to use texture map
    • Texturing: Generator that makes use of position map
    • Texturing: Dialogue popup for successful texture export and option to open file location

I'm really enjoying the new texturing workflow by the way. Lots of cool improvements from my typical substance painter workflow. With a few additional conveniences for making selections without needing to bake extra ID maps, it is "just as good" as painter in my book.
  • NhodgesVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    Small suggestions and a bug.

• GLTF import would be cool.
    • GLTF export doesn't work if you create a texture project, It wont export it complains about missing textures even if you already exported the textures.
  • EarthQuake
    Vexod14 said:
    A few more suggestions : 

-Add default subdiv method in prefs so you can decide to use PN triangles instead of catmull clark by default
    -Allow to modify common properties of multiple selected assets, for example if I select 5 meshes, I want to be able to activate backface culling on 5 with one clic, change their default tangent space/triangulation method...etc. Same for each object parameters. If common properties are found, then these could be editable and brought to unified value by parameters on each selected object
    -When reimporting objects, do not reset properties that belongs in toolbag (like shaders applied or camera post process settings).
    -In the same logic, If I keyed some attributes of these objects in toolbag, keys should stay in toolbag and not get wiped out due to non-existing-toolbag-params in FBX. If I want to restart an edit from scratch, I delete the mesh/camera and I import it again.
    - Add a depth fade option (would be cool for forcefield effects and grass-to-ground blend trick)
    - Add R/G/B/A list channels in emissive map (ideally as well for any map slot, useful when using packed B&W textures)
    - For animated shots, I guess a motion blur is planned, but just in case I wanted to remind it here since I would love it =D
    - Display current frame at current timeline position (useful to sync with anim authoring apps)
    - Lock aspect ratio, so if I change L or H value, the other updates proportionnaly
    - Allow to render 360 image at superhuge rez to create HDRI directly from the current scene

Cheers !
    Thanks for the feedback, I've added these to our suggestion list. I've got a few follow up questions for you:

1. Meshes should retain material settings if you apply a new material in Toolbag, however if the mesh changes dramatically (name or mesh ID change) Toolbag may not be able to recognize it as a new mesh. I just tested this and as long as my mesh object stays the same in Modo the material change is retained, can you give me more info on when this breaks for you?
    2. "Display current frame at current timeline position" do you mean the frame number, ie: 180 vs 0:06.01?
    3. "Allow to use ZDepth as a postprocess (custom fog, desaturate by distance...)" you can try render a depth pass and use this for compositing in an external app
  • EarthQuake
    Alex_J said:
    • Copy/paste material properties (i.e. right click the microsurface properties on MaterialA, paste to MaterialB)
    • Select multiple materials to batch export without having to export entire scene
    • Hotkey to toggle minimize/maximize all panels.
    • Color picker
    • The gizmo is a little screwy - sometimes rotation is reverse from what you expect. This is my primary complaint about TBG: It's always difficult to do much scene setup beyond a simple character, so I end up doing it in Maya first.
    • Gizmo that is able to snap to components.
    • Gizmo customization options al la Maya. (size, width, selection hover distance, etc)
    • Gizmo can increase/decrease size, which leverages movement speed al la Maya (i.e. if I make the rotation gizmo larger, i get finer control.)
    • Support for instancing. Render huge forest without the drag.
    • Auto billboard baker
    • Texturing: Select by UV shells without needing to use texture map
    • Texturing: Select by geometry islands without needing to use texture map
    • Texturing: Generator that makes use of position map
    • Texturing: Dialogue popup for successful texture export and option to open file location

I'm really enjoying the new texturing workflow by the way. Lots of cool improvements from my typical substance painter workflow. With a few additional conveniences for making selections without needing to bake extra ID maps, it is "just as good" as painter in my book.
    Thanks for the feedback, I've added these to our suggestion list as well. Notes/questions for you:

1. "The gizmo is a little screwy - sometimes rotation is reverse from what you expect." There were some changes made to the gizmos for TB4. Does this problem persist and can you tell me how to reproduce it?
    2. "Gizmo that is able to snap to components." What do you mean by components? We have unit/angle snapping now, which you can enable/adjust in Tool Settings and hold down ctrl to engage.
    3. "Texturing: Select by UV shells without needing to use texture map" We don't have a dedicated selection tool for this (will likely add one later), but you can use the flood fill tool with Apply To: set to UV Island to fill in islands.
    4. "Texturing: Generator that makes use of position map", try the Gradient Layer type (in the Procedural list), generally speaking, this is much more powerful than a position generator (you can customize the gradient and set it at any arbitrary angle) and doesn't need a baked map to operate

• EarthQuake
    Small suggestions and a bug.

• GLTF import would be cool.
    • GLTF export doesn't work if you create a texture project, It wont export it complains about missing textures even if you already exported the textures.
    Thanks I've logged this.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback, I've added these to our suggestion list as well. Notes/questions for you:

There were some changes made to the gizmos for TB4. Does this problem persist and can you tell me how to reproduce it?

- Often times when I use the rotate tool it will roll in the reverse direction as expected.  I cant describe exactly why but often i grab the wrong handlebar on the transform gizmo. I am most accustomed to maya, so it may be due to different pick range or something. I just find it hard to move things around fast and precise in toolbag. It is much better in this latest version compared to previous though.

"Gizmo that is able to snap to components." What do you mean by components? We have unit/angle snapping now, which you can enable/adjust in Tool Settings and hold down ctrl to engage.

-I mean to be able to snap to verts. Like hold V and I can snap a modular wall to the precise corner of another modular piece. Useful for modular environments or just moving things around fast without having to zoom in and out.

"Texturing: Select by UV shells without needing to use texture map" We don't have a dedicated selection tool for this (will likely add one later), but you can use the flood fill tool with Apply To: set to UV Island to fill in islands.

-Oh cool, didn't know that. Thanks!

"Texturing: Generator that makes use of position map", try the Gradient Layer type (in the Procedural list), generally speaking, this is much more powerful than a position generator (you can customize the gradient and set it at any arbitrary angle) and doesn't need a baked map to operate

- 
    I'll check that out further next time I need to. Thanks!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Vexod14 said:
    A few more suggestions : 

Cheers !
    Thanks for the feedback, I've added these to our suggestion list. I've got a few follow up questions for you:

1. Meshes should retain material settings if you apply a new material in Toolbag, however if the mesh changes dramatically (name or mesh ID change) Toolbag may not be able to recognize it as a new mesh. I just tested this and as long as my mesh object stays the same in Modo the material change is retained, can you give me more info on when this breaks for you?
    2. "Display current frame at current timeline position" do you mean the frame number, ie: 180 vs 0:06.01?
    3. "Allow to use ZDepth as a postprocess (custom fog, desaturate by distance...)" you can try render a depth pass and use this for compositing in an external app
    Hi, glad this has been added to your suggestion list, I really hope both camera FOV keyframes and un-compensated scale will be supported shortly, I really need them for my current project

1. My models always reimport their own uncomplete shaders, most of the time I start my shaders using presets I've made in toolbag, and not what comes with my models. I'd like not to have my whole stack of shaders popping back if I've already assigned new ones and removed all those I no longer need

2. Yep, exactly :) That would be nice to investigate between apps when you see some intersecting meshes on posings or something badly placed in the frame view

3. I was doing so years ago on Mentalray, then VRay, but I don't get the point in a realtime software. Since images matches the realtime render, then you don't really need to split passes and rather tweaking depth right in the toolbag scene. It would be really interesting to benefit of it and save a lot of time (while keeping it as an output, I probably won't use it as such but I think it can be useful in multiple usecases)

Another thing I'd like to mention is about the save mode for renders : using "override existing" or not does not offer a clever way to render missing shots, which means each time you abort render : you have to recompute the whole frame stack. It would be cool to either replace the behavior of the existing option (if unticked, then don't render existing frames. If you need to iterate, which actually does the option when disabled, then simply enter a different name)

Appart from that, thanks for your time and dedication to this great software guys ♥ I'm sure Toolbag will keep being a quality toolset !