Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UE4 ENVIRONMENT - Medieval village overgrown by fungus

Rav4
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Rav4 polycounter lvl 3

hello, working on a new environment based off this concept https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NxyQgq. Here's a WIP so far, any CC is welcome for any aspect.

Replies

• Mazzletov
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazzletov polycounter lvl 2
    Looks great, lots of atmosphere! Could you give us an insight on how you textured those buildings? Is it a unique unwrap and textured in 3d coat or did you use tileable textures? 
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    Sure, I'll post the workflow some time tomorrow. Basically it's a bit of both, more tileable for the stone but more baked for wood.
  • Mazzletov
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you manage to gain a unique feel to the tile able textures? Did you add decals or vertex painting?
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    Yea I'm using a vert painted parallax material with a world aligned snow. So I mixed in a bunch of materials and applied to a pretty basic model, just a bunch cubes with a few bevels. 
  • Mazzletov
    Offline / Send Message
    Great insight! Thank you for the effort. I have some follow-up questions. Does the snow shader also applies on the parallax materials or only or horizontal meshes?

Could you share with me what type of materials you used? It looks like bricks, old bricks with mortar, damaged bricks? And are these made in Substance?
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    Made the snow so it works on any mesh whether it's horizontal or vertical and can increase or decrease the amount of snow.
    Sure, it's a stone brick wall with mortar (1), same base but more moss and lichen (2), basic lichen (3), and mortar on its own (4). Made the stone wall through zbrush (sculpts) designer (secondary details and albedo) then alchemist for a small touch up. Lichen and mortar were made in designer

• BradyJ
    Offline / Send Message
    BradyJ polycounter lvl 3
    Really like the feel of this so far, trying to rack my brain for helpful feedback. Maybe your shot is lacking human scale reference. In the concept there are people everywhere so you know how big all this stuff is. I don't immediately know how big those kegs or sacs are compared to me so its harder to put myself in the shot. Even a door might help?
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
    Oh the atmosphere and framing are so good! Good luck!
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Those materials are looking very nice man, makes me wanna step up my material game as well!

Thanks a ton for sharing your workflow
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    thanks for the kind words guys. @BradyJ thanks for feedback and duly noted, will work on making scale more clear.
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    working on foliage and soon onto refining ground materials
  • barroz
    Rav4 said:
    Made the snow so it works on any mesh whether it's horizontal or vertical and can increase or decrease the amount of snow.
    Sure, it's a stone brick wall with mortar (1), same base but more moss and lichen (2), basic lichen (3), and mortar on its own (4). Made the stone wall through zbrush (sculpts) designer (secondary details and albedo) then alchemist for a small touch up. Lichen and mortar were made in designer

• Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    hmm @barroz was there follow up comment can only see repeated post, let me know.
    Few materials been working at. will be working on implementing them better in engine coming days!
    For the meantime just working a tad on lighting, still a back and forth process atm and had a go at LUT.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Scene looks great so far but i'm having some issues with scale. That archway looks to be about 2 human heights tall but the windows are really small. Also the bricks/rocks in the walls were usually la lot bigger because it was easier to "cut" them like that and for structural reasons as well. But i'm no expert in medieval architecture so i might be completely off. Its just something that makes sense to me.
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    @teodar23 appreciate the feedback. so with wall i used this a reference point and tried to find a compromise between the concept. don't think you're wrong with it being bigger i personally built the texture from that. I planned to have some of the bricks, which have been turned into low poly, that I sculpted the wall from to be placed in some areas not too many but enough to get a variation. With regards to scale, i thought the window size was pretty close to the  concept, how does it seem in comparison or maybe it's just my eyes haha. Still need to get better a sense of scale though, really struggle in that area.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I see, well the good news is you nailed the concept 🙂. Anything else is just personal preference i guess.
  • Rav4
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav4 polycounter lvl 3
    took some advice from a senior artist to push the colors and been playing more on the alien feel of it, little bit left to do overall though!

• korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    The atmosphere and lighting looks fantastic. Great work