Home Technical Talk

Maya - How to scale two edge loops equally?

Hi all,

First time poster with limited skills/knowledge/experience - please be gentle :)

I'm just running through an online video for some hard surface modelling techniques and have encountered a little issue when insert edge loops.

On the "top" surface, I inserted two edge loops and then used the scale tool to push them apart and closer to the actual edges I wanted them to be near.

When I then tried the same approach on the "side" of the model, this didn't work.  Both of the selected edges just seem to move up and down / in and out together, rather than moving apart.

Here's an example;
https://youtu.be/zh5Hsl5Ipns

On a related note, one thing I would "really" like to be able to do is have the insert edge loops set a specific distance from the other edges... other than using the Component Editor and manually editing each vert I've not found a way to do this yet.

The original video I'm following;

the presenter demonstrates (@ 00:11:50 ish)  that once he's set the edge loop he can apply the same settings to the next and so on.  Fully appreciate this is using 3Ds Max not Maya, but is there anything comparable, without having to go down the route of scripts and such (I've not dabbled with that yet)?

If anyone is able to help I would be most grateful, in any responses please assume "utterly new to Maya and won't understand technical jargon" - thanks muchly  :)

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I'd use shift double click on the next edge to select the edge ring instead of going around the object and selecting each one individually....

But in Maya, it's all called the same as it is in max. In the connect tool you have segment number and pinch/slide just like max/

Side note : even in Max what that person is doing is a bit of an arbitary placement of the support edges anyway so it doesn't matter about any sort of consistency about the distances from the edges that he's adding the support loops when the whole object is taken into consideration. The connect tool options are % relative to the length of the edges of the ring that the edge loop is being added to. But at least there are proceedural ways to do this with even distribution from the edges and not based on the ring length in max. That's something I have no idea if is possible in Maya.

• RobMeade
    Hi @Ghogiel, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Not sure why I selected them all individually like that in the video, hehe, I did know about the double-click select edge ring approach, but thanks :)

I discovered the "Connect" tool after posting and yes, it does seem to have the same features as Max although I can still get quite different results, specifically when inserting two loops but one is trying to match and "angled" one... in that video I was following, its at 00:12:15.  The edge that is inserted next to the angled/ramp part is perfectly spaced to meet the shape.  I can only seemingly achieve that in Maya if I add on loop at a time, rather than the two as he does in the video.  And when adding them individually, it doesn't really seem to matter if I use the Connect tool or the Insert Edge Loop or just use the Cut tool - in all cases its then a case of selecting the edge and moving it to the desired location.

Thanks for the info about it being a %, I wasn't really too sure, so that's handy.  Also means it would be quite difficult to actually get them all the same anyway then, as 90% in one ring loop could be different in another.  I think this is an area I struggle with generally with modelling, I'm perhaps trying to be a bit too "perfect" and in ways that maybe don't really matter, but as I have little experience to draw on it felt perhaps better than just being slap-dash in my approach - perhaps a happy middle ground would be better.

Thanks again for the reply and for responding in an easy to understand way, it helps me with the small steps I'm taking :)
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    RobMeade said:

I discovered the "Connect" tool after posting and yes, it does seem to have the same features as Max although I can still get quite different results, specifically when inserting two loops but one is trying to match and "angled" one... in that video I was following, its at 00:12:15.  The edge that is inserted next to the angled/ramp part is perfectly spaced to meet the shape. 

If I understand what you are asking, in max, they aren't perfectly spaced to meet the shape. The distances of the new edge loops from the edges they are supposed to be supporting are not the same because the edge spans that are to be connected through are different lengths.

I exaggerated the shape a little so you can see how they don't keep the same distances.

The way the connect works is basically the same in Maya I think. Though It's very easy to fix that in Max compared to Maya imo, I'd love to see someone who have a good way of doing so in Maya as I don't know of a good way to sort out the new loops to run even distance from those edges in Maya myself, afaik you probably better off thinking a little differently about how to tackle adding supports in general, use bevel and then fix those other types of issues manually, or just atempt to fix the issues with uneven support edges when using connect manually (which is bad because the time it takes and will never be totally correct.) Good questions though from a beginner :). And no, you should never not have complete control of the very basics of adding edge loops in a 3d app. It's 2020 and all that.
  • tsungyuw
    Offline / Send Message
    tsungyuw polycounter lvl 8
    is this what you are thinking about?
    https://youtu.be/s4DXf8pp3I0
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    The inital question is just how to do the connect and add loops, so yes that. There are some nuances that are highlighted, question is how to add loops that are equal distance from edges.

Looks like the above just doing a regular connect funciton, but can't tell because the object is just a box with even face dimensions, so the added loops will always be even distances from the edges, because the ring spans are equal lengths all the way around.

Yes, you could use bevel and delete the loops on the other side of the corner in this simplified example, but the question is how to do what's on the right side by adding loops. There are at least 2 ways to do this in max, granted both are mearly adequet and not amazing The missing functionality could just be a toggle in the connect tools, of both Maya and Max, which would just average the distance from the edge to make it consistant around the whole loop, netting something like the result on the right. Maya could build in another hotkey into multicut that does what ctrl alt swift loop does in max, so you can atleast add a loop correctly even if it's just eyeballed and not parametric.

• RobMeade
    Thanks both for the follow-up replies, appreciated.

The video above by @tsungyuw looks like the thing I want to be able to do, but I'm assuming that it's using a separate plugin/tool ("Magic Insert" seemed to be on the heading bar etc) to do that is it?  Looks like more/different options that my version of Maya, unless there are some hidden options I've just not enabled?

Also, as @Ghogiel mentioned, that was obviously on a nice and event shape, I would be interested to see those same tools used on a different shape and see whether the same easy approach still exists - if so - TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW!  hehe...

Regarding the bevelling @Ghogiel, wouldn't using that change the actual shape though?  I've only used bevelling a little in the past but it rounded the edges etc..
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    RobMeade said:

Regarding the bevelling @Ghogiel, wouldn't using that change the actual shape though?  I've only used bevelling a little in the past but it rounded the edges etc..

Not necessarily. In Maya there is a chamfer toggle in the bevel settings.

• RobMeade
    So much to learn  :/

Thanks again for the reply :)

• tsungyuw
    Offline / Send Message
    tsungyuw polycounter lvl 8
    https://youtu.be/0fVXGTAFGIY

it's very tricky math to get it right, so far I can only make it equal both side in one edge, if edges length are very different as Ghogiel's image, it as result the same , distance of edges won't be perfect the same.
  • RobMeade
    Hi @tsungyuw, thanks for the reply and yeah, its a bit of a challenge isn't it.

I suspect, it probably doesn't really matter and that it's only my own OCD that I am trying to apease with this, just feels like something that this product would have by default.

Out of interest, can you tell me what the tool/plugin you were using in your first video, I could see a section titled "Magic Insert" but I've not been able to find any plugins based on that name so am assuming its part of a bigger package/plugin etc.

Any info would be appreciated. :)
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you want to add even edgeloops to an odd shape you can do it using extrude and adjusting the offset value

• RobMeade
    Hi @sprunghunt, thanks for the reply and that useful video.

Regarding the "off-set", is this like the scale/pinch for the other tool(s) which treat it as a percentage, or is this an actual "distance", for example, 4.4 = 4.4mm or 4.4cm etc etc.

Again, thanks for the reply and the video.  Never ceases to amaze me how people make stuff look so easy that I spend hours banging my head against a wall for... 
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    RobMeade said:
    Hi @sprunghunt, thanks for the reply and that useful video.

Regarding the "off-set", is this like the scale/pinch for the other tool(s) which treat it as a percentage, or is this an actual "distance", for example, 4.4 = 4.4mm or 4.4cm etc etc.

Again, thanks for the reply and the video.  Never ceases to amaze me how people make stuff look so easy that I spend hours banging my head against a wall for... 
    It's a distance from the outside edge. In the gif the 4.4 is in scene units - Which I have set to mm. You'll sometimes get weird results but it works well enough that it is the first thing I'll try when I want to put edgeloops on a uneven edge or a complex shape. 

• RobMeade
    That's really helpful, thank you @sprunghunt, and to everyone that took the time to reply to a newbie - very much appreciated :)
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    If you want to add even edgeloops to an odd shape you can do it using extrude and adjusting the offset value

This doesn't just add loops for me, it deforms the shape of the mesh even when thickness is 0. Is that a bug on my end? (I swear if it is I've been using Maya consistantly for over a year and if you can actually control modelling with the built in tools all this time I think I'll cry. A lot)

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ghogiel said:

This doesn't just add loops for me, it deforms the shape of the mesh even when thickness is 0. Is that a bug on my end? (I swear if it is I've been using Maya consistantly for over a year and if you can actually control modelling with the built in tools all this time I think I'll cry. A lot)

It's hard to tell if you're doing something wrong without examples. I use this all the time - so it works for me - but there are sometimes a few occasions where it doesn't do what I wanted. 
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

It's basically the same as Max's inset.

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ghogiel said:

It's basically the same as Max's inset.

Yes it is basically the same as max's inset. However for the original mesh at the top of the page it works better than trying to use insert loops or the multi-cut tool. Some people don't realise it's there because it's not a separate tool like max. On your simple pyramid it's not so great. 
  • RobMeade
    I just thought I'd chime back in on this one... I noted that when you did the inset on the extrude @Ghogiel the pivot was in the centre of the model.  I had to watch the video a couple of times before I realised you were selecting the faces all around the mesh.

I followed the same steps in this video, but I specifically changed the "Keep Faces Together" option to "Off".  Not sure whether this would work in all scenarios, but it made quite a tidy job of this specific case.

https://youtu.be/UqoWY-wVMBI

:)