Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Batman

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IvanChanCL polycounter lvl 5
Hey Polycount!
Decided to sculpt for fun and it ended up spiraling into a batman sculpt. Which...then prompted me to keep going and do texturing rendering...etc...
Everything is rendered in Arnold.
Retopo in maya, as well as xgen hairs.
Zbrush for baking displacement and sculpting.
Marvelous designer for only the cape.
Substance painter for all the texturing.

Here is the artstation post:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OoXqAv

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks great but something about him comes off as a batman that is impersonating batman. (Like the batmen from the Dark Knight that b-man says "I'm not wearing hockey pads") I think it's the standard belt and buckle that makes it feel low tech and not like he's official. I still like it, maybe that is what you're going for, but that's it for me. Also would love to see some cuts and scrapes on that cowl, maybe a rip in the suit somewhere with skin showing and some blood? Presentation is solid. 
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    ^ Agree the buckle specifically (stands out for me). ^ nice work otherwise.
  • IvanChanCL
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanChanCL polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for your feedback guys! I tried to go for a simple frank miller style batman, which has a more primitive looking outfit. However, because I didn't give him much battle damage, he does look pretty plain and didn't represent his style well. I'll keep that in mind whenever making other superhero type.
  • Dave_MW
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave_MW polycounter lvl 2
    He looks like a mid-century Batman!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like something is off about his right wrist. I'm also kinda trying to figure out the black make up around his eyes, it's a little odd I think. I agree with the belt buckle, should be a bat!

Aside from that, looks dope!!