Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Finished) Sci-fi Terminal

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jammartusia polycounter lvl 6
Stepping a bit out of my comfort zone I decided to create a sci-fi prop. 
After some research I luckily found the Archie's Whitehead concept art which I really liked. I'm making it in Blender, heavily relying on Booleans and other modifiers for now, as I want to change things a bit after I finish making all the parts (that's why a couple of faces have weird-looking normals, they're not applied insets). Besides all the small surface details I still have the keyboard and big cables to make (I've made them in my blockout though).
I'm not sure about all of the edges, some of them would use more love and I'll be working on them later. Really would like to make them feel right. 

If you have any tips to share, please do. Thanks!

Concept art by Archie Whitehead

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Not bad, seems as though you're on top of working with bools.
    Although just be attentive to the hardness of your edges for hassle free bakes, assuming this will be sent through a realtime workflow. 
  • jammartusia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @sacboi ! Good point about the edges, I think I'm gonna make all elements that need to be done to see the whole object and then go and revisit all edges. Some of them may be kinda okaaay, but most I don't like at the moment. 
  • jammartusia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update
    I made the keyboard, it was much less complicated than I thought it'd be. I sometimes get overwhelmed with objects which contain a lot of pieces, but Array Modifier always comes in handy. 

• jammartusia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I finished the thing! It's not perfect, but so far it's the most complicated object I've made. I could have been much smarter with how I used the Bevel modifier and several small things, but overall I'm happy that I pushed myself much further than I had expected with this piece.