Home Technical Talk

Question about UV stretching and general workflows

Yzii
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Yzii polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys! I need your help with unwraping this model of knife. I have managed to do most of model, but this handle is tough enemy for me. I would like to straighten uv island, but then uv is streched alot. I have tried to make trade-off by hand but its still not good (or is it?). What would you suggest to do to unwrap this part properly? Im working in Blender 2.8 and using UV Toolkit plugin. 
Thanks alot! 

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    If it was me, i'd look at the modeling of the object in question.  I'd try to keep all the lines straight while making this curved design.  Hope it helps, that should be the fix, here is an example draw over for you to understand.

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    If it must be a rectangle shape for some odd reason, you've probably done near as good a job as you are going to get I reckon. The stretching has to go somewhere if you are deforming UVs like that. From there I think you would just be spending uneccessary time for little gain moving where the stretching is going to be on the UV.

I wouldn't squish the UV straight on the horizontal edge on that UV if there is a choice personally. That curved taper is pretty steep and is probably stealing UV space and obviously adding some stretching into the UV.
  • Yzii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yzii polycounter lvl 2
    Many thanks to both of you guys! Im trying to learn on this model as much as I can so Im going to try both approaches and post results here :) 
  • Yzii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yzii polycounter lvl 2
    So I tried your suggestions and here is result. Ive ended up using better topology and straightening UV island only on vertical axis. Thank you both very much!