Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Highpoly character workflow

Hey guys, I'm starting to sculpt a character for my game (just the full body). I already did the secondary forms and I want to go to tertiary forms. My character has 2M points right now, if I jump to 8M, the details won't be that good and my PC will start to slow down.

I'm used with HD Geo, but I don't know if this is the best workflow. In the end (with HD Geo), I will split my model by groups, then export and bake.

I would like to know the best workflow for this kind of model.

Thanks in advance!

*sorry for any english mistake*

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    8 million points isn't that high for a character sculpt. I've seen ones at 30+ million points. Have you tried splitting it into subtools and hiding some of those? 
  • ohzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8 million points isn't that high for a character sculpt. I've seen ones at 30+ million points. Have you tried splitting it into subtools and hiding some of those? 
    Thank you for answering me!

That's my workflow when I use HD Geo, and it works well, but I split the model after detailing it. I never did it that way without HD Geo because I don't know how to deal with details on the edge areas. I crease those areas, but it will always be "misaligned" and "not conformal" when I sculpt over it. Do you have any tips on that?

Thank you again
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Maybe posting a couple of screenshots of your model will help you get answers.
  • ohzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I splitted the head from the body as suggested. I'm working with 7M only in the head, and everything is fine. But, as you can see, the head albedo does not match with the body. I wonder if that will be a problem when I start detailing the body. How can I match these details in different sub-tools?

Each polygroup is a UDIM. At the end, the entire model will have 30M points. I will split it all, but I have no idea how to deal with the edge of each splitted polgroup.