Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly ENVIRONMENT ART Challenge | September - October (68)

Replies

• hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    @b_beauchamp : I think your jar looks really great! I see a lot of variety on the shelve. though its a bit too dark for me to discern whats in it. anyway your lighting looks really great and contrast. gives a horror feeling that I'm looking for

about the open space: in my opinion is better to leave it open. your scene has a lot of complicated things on the side and the center area should be where the eye rest.

@dyceus : wow great work man! seeing your screenshot I think I need to work on my lighting coz mine seems a bit too green XD
    I didnt saw it before but nail it the green liquid and details on the left lower side of the scene

@Zocky : far better =)
    I just realized what your scene needs: a good ol' floor texture =) it will definitely bring your scene far

---

Update from me:

1. Updated the texture for wall, floor, ceilings, shelves, and small jar.
    2. Added Cables, Pipes, drip decals on the wall
    3. Make room bigger
    4. create cardboard texture and updated the box

• Rajeshlaxkar

Hello, I am new in Maya. I model this model. i am a beginner so I am not done my texturing classes yet so plz can anyone plz done texturing of this model or if any suggestions

Welcome 

url of model:   
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16HuFO6H363mHhmLee9JnklQ0T9AT98z7?usp=sharing
  • b_beauchamp
    Offline / Send Message
    b_beauchamp polycounter lvl 2
    @Pinkfox I checked my materials and the two sided option is on. Since I seem to be out of options, I decided to fake a shadow with some opaque meshes behind the offending model. That area did seem a little empty anyway xD. 

@hasgan I really like the layers of pipes on your ceiling, it really gives the scene an industrial laboratory feel. I agree for my scene that the open space gives some much needed breathing room. I also need to figure out a good way to get more ambient lighting, the default cubemap isn't working too well.

I think my scene is pretty much done now except for the lighting and final creature meshes. Thank you everyone for all the help and advice! If you have any additional feedback before I wrap up the project I'll be sure to incorporate it.  :) 

• dyceus
    Offline / Send Message
    dyceus polygon
    I finally did some sculpting and texturing in Substance Painter.  I did these models plus a simple brain looking one that isn't worth showing. The scene is so hazy that you can't really see all the effort I put into the models, but I wanted to challenge myself a bit since I haven't sculpted unique assets and textured in painter for quite while.  I made all these from scratch in Blender (for the base meshes) and Zbrush (for the sculpting).  All these photos are screen grabs from unreal.

• dyceus
    Offline / Send Message
    dyceus polygon
    Here is my final scene basically.  I added in my sculpted creatures and then made a post processing material to lightly colorize the fore, mid, and backgrounds to match the reference (blue, yellow, and cyan respectively).  I only colorized the darker areas and allowed lighter areas to cut through.

• dyceus
    Offline / Send Message
    dyceus polygon
    Here's my work overview on the mermaid since I spent the most time on her (even though she's merely a shadow lol, but I wanted to challenge myself a bit).  The gills under the rib cage idea was inspired by the character The Deep in the show The Boys.  Started with a base mesh in Blender (a really bad one), sculpted her the rest of the way in Zbrush, retopo and UVs in Blender, texturing in Substance Painter, and then a quick pose and touchup sculpt in Blender before bringing her into UE4.  I could have spent more time on her, but I only had one day to do all my creatures start to finish.

• dyceus
    Offline / Send Message
    dyceus polygon
    @b_beauchamp you always get a really high level of realism in you tiling textures.  ZBrush materials always look so good, I'm going to have to start doing them more often.
  • b_beauchamp
    Offline / Send Message
    @dyceus Thank you! Learning how to make and use trim sheets changed everything for me as an environment artist. The Polygon Academy trim sheet tutorial was really helpful for me, if you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. I textured the entire structure and supporting props with a few variations of one trim. This freed up a lot of time for me to put extra effort into the large vats and special props with unique textures. 

When I publish my scene I'd like to show off a couple props like the jar below. How do the wireframe/UVs look? I'm worried that it's too heavy for a small prop, but I don't have any similar references to compare it to. 

• gastrop0d
    Offline / Send Message
    gastrop0d polycounter lvl 5
    Big thanks to everyone for the resources on rock sculpting. I plan on really utilising it in my future projects!

@Zocky Good point about kinking the straight edges, I'll make sure to keep that in mind moving forward. If I have time at the end of this project I'll definitely go back over my cottage and apply it. Your scene is looking stupendous! Can't wait to see more.

@hasgan Liking the industrial feeling you've brought to the concept. Is there a way you can add more ambient occlusion? It feels like the objects aren't as grounded into the scene as they could be.

@b_beauchamp Looking exceptional, I'm hard pressed to suggest any critique. Maybe some back-lighting and dust-mote particles as polishing steps?

Okay, here's where I've gotten to in the last couple of weeks:

So what's happened? I decided to make a hard call and pull all my work out of Unity and Unreal (was trying both engines) and render within Blender. I could see the project scope getting away from me so I decided to focus my efforts on getting finished. It's a little disappointing because I was hoping to learn more about Unreal, but I think it's the right move. In truth I've already learned a tonne about the engine from this challenge so I count myself happy in that respect. 

Of course moving into Blender - which I am much more comfortable controlling - has let me gain much more control over lighting, fog and the sky. Its been very freeing to dial in the look I actually intended. Having said that I'm used to using cycles for rendering, so there's been a lot to learn using Blender's realtime Eevee rendering engine, particularly with how bounced lighting and reflections work.

I've also resorted to cheating the perspective in the scene quite a bit to reach the final composition. Originally I planned the scene to be fully in-place, with faraway landscape actually being sensical (originally I even wanted the scene to be interactive in VR... lol). Alas, here's how stuff is actually laid out:

As planned I used the technique outlined in the video I linked to in my first post in this thread to create the stylised foliage. They're quite polygon heavy, but I love the stylised vibe they create.

I also implemented the stylised grass technique I experimented with early on in the thread. It was exciting and satisfying to finally get the point in the project where I could bring these elements in.

I'm using this 3 quad pattern for the grass elements based on advice I found in the environment art break down that I linked to in my last post. It really helps keep a feeling a volume in the aggregate grass compared to flat billboards. The grass is using vertex painted areas of the terrain to define both grass density and scale.

Also took the toon shading techniques that are being used for the foliage and applied a similar concept to the rocks to help unify the style of the scene. The rocks are actually using a blend of hard-edged colour ramps and a soft hue shifted colour ramp to create a more interesting painterly-style variety in the rendering. I had to reduce the strength of the rocks normal maps quite a bit to keep them from being too busy.

Finally I had my doubts about being able to put together an effective solution for the water, but after some quick messing around in the shader editor I came up with an acceptable solution using a mix of noise textures, colour ramps and fresnel blending.

My list of things to do is now very short indeed. I'm planning to tackle the domed roof of the lighthouse next, as well as the stairs and railings. From then on I'll be well and truly into the polishing phase, final touches and stretch goals!

• Rajeshlaxkar
    can anyone working on my model texturing plz tell me? 
  • alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    can anyone working on my model texturing plz tell me? 
    @Rajeshlaxkar In general, we don't really work on each others' models unless people specifically want to collaborate. If you want a basic tutorial for getting started with texturing, this Substance Painter beginner tutorial from Allegorithmic is a good place to start.

-----

Great work everyone! Seeing a lot of inspiring stuff yet again, it's always encouraging to see the breadth of talent on display at the end of a challenge cycle! Good work, give yourselves a pat on the back. :)

As you might've noticed, I fell off the bandwagon myself haha... Work has been picking up steam as we head towards the busy season working on our next title, so I lost a bit of mojo for the Wildcard concept. Maybe I'll return to it some day down the line, we'll see!

I just posted the Voting Thread for Challenge 69, feel free to head over there and vote or suggest other concepts! https://polycount.com/discussion/223180/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-november-december-69
  • Rajeshlaxkar
    Thanks, it helps me a lot  :)
  • Zorina
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorina polycounter lvl 5
    @gastrop0d This looks so lovely! The lighting is turning out fantastic, it really looks like a scene from a Ghibli movie.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the HDRP, for some reason I keep forgetting that exists and how good it is. I reimported all my assets into a new project and I'm much happier with it now. I'm calling my scene "done" for now, but when I have more time later I'll probably come back to it. I especially want to put more time into the house.

• hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    Wow I see a lot of fantastic work, good job guys!

@gastrop0d : thanks for the input, it works like a charm! I got excited that I think I push the AO too far XD

about moving back into blender: you can try next challenge in UE :P being finished is definitely better. your scene looks great with those painted look.

@dyceus : great work! I think your scene mirror the reference almost perfectly composition-wise :)
    the mermaid and other creature looks good, and nice details with spilled liquid on the floor :D
    tho its a pity, the blue mermaid is kinda hard to discern with the smoky tube glass, the ear and the gills should be recongnizeable from outside

@b_beauchamp : Thanks! the pipes idea is actually comes from your scene haha :P I didnt know what to do with the ceiling and added a bunch of it to look interesting.

I think jar props could be better, some edges can be remove if you want to be efficient

the UV is ok, though I wouldn't use 2k texture for it.

sorry if I seems nitpick :P

---

so heres my update:

finished with the monsters in tubes and in jars, took me also a while to sclupt it, retopo, and texturing
    PS: I didnt think it was a mermaid, more like a monkey to me :p

also finished with making glass material. I didnt know cool looking Glass Material is so expensive -____-

tried the AO and voila! the things are not floaty anymore XD

So there's still 2-3 days until end of october and I still want to finish my scene as far as I can.
    the next post will be my final scene, so any inputs or critique is appreciated!

• franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    Might as well show my progress with a few things to note

I noticed that the yellow portion of the cup is z fighting with the glass jar (blue portion) so I'm planning on extruding the yellow portion a bit.

The plan I have for the yellow portion is to include an Alpha channel.
  • ZRose
    Hello everyone I am new to Polycount. Sorry I am a bit late to this challenge. I started the caravan last night and here's what I have so far. I have only been 3d modelling for about 3 months now so try not to be too harsh on me :D Thanks all.

Made a little more progress on the caravan. Working on the texturing. A lot more to do but it's starting to look pretty cool I think.

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    I'm still trucking along with the wildcard option. I definitely won't be done before the end of the month but I plan to keep plucking away at it. :D

I must say though, doing the specimens has been a pretty taxing endeavor. It's definitely good practice but I'm certainly no creature artist so it's taken far longer than I'd have liked to get to a decent point. Still, it's nice to be challenged like this and I've loved seeing what everyone else has been able to accomplish!
  • b_beauchamp
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my final update for this challenge. It was great working with @tysiu, who made all of the amazing creatures in the scene. Thank you to everyone who shared feedback and advice. Keep up the good work everyone! =)

• FabioFrosaA
    Offline / Send Message
    FabioFrosaA polycounter lvl 2
    sorry, I double posted.

• FabioFrosaA
    Offline / Send Message
    FabioFrosaA polycounter lvl 2
    I post a reply here, but right after I edited to change an image and when I clicked "save" my post was gone, I'm not sure what happened but I'm writing it again.

I've finally finished! It was really hard for me and I learned a lot. I would like to thank everyone here, specially @Pinkfox for all the tips and study material provided. I'm short on time and the challenge by itself was quite demanding, so since my last post I haven't caught up with the discussion here, which I intend to do later. I'm sure Ive got plenty more to learn from it. It is awesome to see other's progress, getting to really cool results. I am happy to show mine.

I made two renders, one in UE4 and the other in Blender. As my focus has been to build a portfolio to get a job at a game company I believe making renders in UE4 is more relevant then Blender's EEVEE, but I get better results with the last one as I'm more used to it.

Blender's EEVEE:

UE4:

I learned a lot here and I followed @Pinkfox tips about the workflow for the materials. So all the wood planks are instancces of the same material, the yellow, the red and the unpainted one. The parameter to change them is not the color as I could'nt get the same operation to work well for both colors, so the parameters are the factors of linear interpolations between the unpainted/painted and between yellow/red. All the other wood parts share the same material and the blue part above the windows use an instance of it. The chimney has its separate material. The painted details and the blue wood plank beneath the window share another material. I could'nt get the decal material to work properly in UE4, but I haven't put a lot of time into it.

I guess the most importante thing I learned in the process was in a reference to how I could use these floating decals, but on another part about weighted normals. It allowed me to share the same materials between very different objects while still getting nice edges.
    Thanks again to everyone. I'll see you on the next challenges and I hope to help others as much as others have hellped me here.

• Camille_Meehan
    Offline / Send Message
    Camille_Meehan polycounter lvl 3
    These are fabulous. Happy Halloween y'all.
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    Hi here's my final update

I'm happy with the result, but I think I will still tinkering a bit on it before uploaded it to artstation
    thankyou for all your feedback. its been a pleasure and a great learning process

Happy Halloween guys!

• alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Hey everyone, once again, excellent work! Please feel free to continue posting updates to your projects even as we move into a new challenge cycle.

Challenge #69 is now LIVE, check it out here: https://polycount.com/discussion/223180/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-november-december-69
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    I uploaded my work on Artstation! please check it out!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zOK1b6

also, I made a little video from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVnyWbmTPhg&feature=youtu.be

so that's it from me. moving on to the next challenge...

• samA
    Offline / Send Message
    samA triangle
    Everyone's made some great work!

Here's were I got up to with the watertank prop. There's still things I keep nitpicking but I'm going onto the next challenge since I don't think I'd move on if not! 

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    I'm still plugging away to finish this one up. I've got pretty much all of the materials done but I went back and adjusted the tanks as they were standing out quite a bit. Also removed the color filter for now as I need to put time into figuring out how to get what I want without drowning everything out.

From here I just have a few more things I want to tackle with this before calling it finished:
    • Redo the box tanks and tube tanks to be similar to the updated focal-point tanks. The perspective warp, particularly on the box tanks, just doesn't look appealing at scale though I plan to keep it for the smaller jars as it looks fine on them.
    • Add in all the labels to scatter the floor and on the edges of the shelves as well as the stationary on the desk.
    • Get the color correction proper to get the green tint in without the contrast getting too out of hand.
    • Maybe add some particles for dust to the air and bubbles in the tanks like @hasgan did, I think that added some nice detail!

Still open for critique if anyone has any other thoughts as well. :P
  • IanVal
    Offline / Send Message
    IanVal polycounter lvl 3
    Here is what I have so far. Any critique or advice would be greatly appreciated. The texturing is all placeholder for right now. I have been really stuck in the modeling phase. Finding good reference has been super hard for me because of the abstract nature of the concept art. This is my first full environment based on a concept art any help would be greatly appreciated again!!! Have a great day !
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    @IanVal looking good.
    I would add some variation to the brick wall and some random color to the window shades. Add some trash and litter all around the ground. After that do a light bake and youre goldin'.
    Keep it up!
  • IanVal
    Offline / Send Message
    IanVal polycounter lvl 3
    @teodar23 thank you so much I will definitely work on that, I agree a nice vertex blend material and some set dressing would be nice for this. Right now I'm focusing on the models just making sure the placeholders are replaced and everything is to scale and such. Have a great one!!!
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Finally wrapped this one up! Honestly, I think there are still a ton of things I could nitpick at with it but I'm already over time for the challenge and I want to take what I've learned and apply it to whatever comes next.

Additional shots available on Artstation!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAzGlm

Some thanks I want to give:
    • @alytlebird The projection mapping you did for the small jars early on was a great inspiration for how to approach the smaller jars!
    • @dyceus Your cardboard trim sheet was awesome and I pulled a lot of the ideas you put into it into crafting my own!
    • @b_beauchamp The grime you gave to your jars on the shelves were a huge inspiration that I applied not only to my jars but to the larger tanks as well. I thought it gave a great look of leaking fluids and contact shadows from the shelf and lid!
    • @hasgan The small touches you have throughout (dust, decals, etc) were great in not forgetting how much those small little bits can help with a scene! (Though I still need to work on my particles, my dust is practically not existent. :P)
    Glad I was able to participate in the challenge! Not certain if I'll be able to make the next one but I'll certainly pop in and see the progress everyone is making on that one, too!
  • hasgan
    Offline / Send Message
    hasgan polycounter lvl 7
    @Pinkfox good job man! love those great variety on jars. glad we could learn a lot from each other ;)
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Nice work @Pinkfox !

And yeah, you did good,but yeah, gotta finish at some point.

I really didn't have much time to work on this in  past 2, 3 weeks, but i still want to finish this, so here's some more screenshots (still WIP):

Still have few things to work on to actually finish it, but i hope it's slowly getting there.
    Also, congrats everyone on finishing this challenge, was lots of fun to follow everyone!
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    @Zocky Looks fantastic so far, can't wait to see the finished product! I especially think you've nailed the transition from plaster to brick work very nicely.

The only suggest I would have is that you should probably make those boxes above the "eFashion" store displays into windows themselves. Looking at the streets of Siena on Google Maps those boxes appear to just be small, high up windows from what I can see.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3204577,11.3281655,3a,75y,345.41h,94.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZOqwe91TnfBSq5Sz5PSQKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If you take a spin around there you can see various examples up and down that street.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ah, good catch, i'll see what i can do about that, tnx!
  • IanVal
    Offline / Send Message
    IanVal polycounter lvl 3
    I am super late but I am going to move on from this environment, I learned a lot working on it and I definitely over-scoped. It was fun seeing all the talent and skill of the others working on these challenges and I hope you all have a great day!!!
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Nice work man, glad to see you finished it!

• Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, guess i'll post my one last update, before i call this one done as well.

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Awesome to see everyone making it to the finish line! Nice work you all! :D
  • rgvsharma98
    Offline / Send Message
    rgvsharma98 polycounter lvl 4
    Zocky said:
    Well, guess i'll post my one last update, before i call this one done as well.

@Zockyhello sir, i don't really know what this challenge or post is about but can you please share some workflow insights for this environment, i'm trying to make similar environment and did the modelling part but i'm having issues with proceeding to texturing. thank you.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, this REALLY took a lot of time but, finally, it's here:

Well, nothing too fancy and probly not the most optimized way to do it but, for walls and grounds, what i did, was created tilable materials with Substance Designer, and then used vertex color with some noises / height maps to blender between them. Hope that helps.