Home Technical Talk

[HELP] Weird artifacts on characters chest

I've got some weird artifacts on my characters chest in Blender and Unity. It's not noticeable in either Marmoset or Subtance Painter. I sculpted in Zbrush and did retopo in Maya. I smoothed all normals before baking in Marmoset and texturing in Substance. Then I rigged the character in Blender and tried using that mesh in Unity. 

Anyone know what it is?

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Looks like a wrong normal map swizzle, try to invert the green channel in Blender.
    Unity probably has a setting somewhere too.
    Otherwise a less complex test object might help to find the problem in your pipeline easier.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    You're showing the quad mesh on the third image. Did you triangulate your low poly before baking? Because triangulation has to be the same for the normal map to work.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Make sure you're baking using MikkT space for the normal map, not Marmoset's default.

• Hoyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're showing the quad mesh on the third image. Did you triangulate your low poly before baking? Because triangulation has to be the same for the normal map to work.

I did triangulate the mesh before baking, then I used a version with quads in Blender and Unity. How can I make sure the triangulation stays the same between the baked mesh and the one in Unity if I'm rigging a mesh in quads? If I export the rig to Unity, It'll automatically triangulate it, but then I guess that won't match up with the triangulated mesh from Maya.

Prime8 said:
    Looks like a wrong normal map swizzle, try to invert the green channel in Blender.
    Unity probably has a setting somewhere too.
    Otherwise a less complex test object might help to find the problem in your pipeline easier.

Is it possible only the polys on the chest has that problem? The rest of the mesh looks fine in Blender and Unity. It's only this specific area of the chest that has the issue.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hoyt said:
     Is it possible only the polys on the chest has that problem? The rest of the mesh looks fine in Blender and Unity. It's only this specific area of the chest that has the issue.
    A wrong swizzle setting would affect the whole model, it's more likely the triangulation issue.
    Hoyt said:
     I did triangulate the mesh before baking, then I used a version with quads in Blender and Unity. How can I make sure the triangulation stays the same between the baked mesh and the one in Unity if I'm rigging a mesh in quads? If I export the rig to Unity, It'll automatically triangulate it, but then I guess that won't match up with the triangulated mesh from Maya.

After triangulating and baking, you need to work with the exact same triangulated model or use the same quad model and the same triangulation method.
    The triangulation algorithm can differ between programs and some programs even have multiple algorithms to choose from, like Blender.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Hoyt said:

You'll just simply use the non-destructive triangulate modifier on top of your quad mesh in Blender, and you can still work with quads underneath the modifier while rigging/weight painting. Apply the modifier when exporting to elsewhere. Since you exported the quad version Unity, it triangulated it in its own way, hence the normal map errors.