Home Adobe Substance

Problem With High Poly Baking (help)

hi, I am having problems with baking in substance painter when I try and bake the normal map by name it just comes out all black. my workflow is low poly in Maya - Zbrush for high poly - back to Maya for topology and unwrapping UVs.I use bake match always it works but not when I try to bake by mesh name. I check the naming and it looks right so I have no idea what I am messing up and its starting to drive me crazy and help with this will be very much appreciated. sorry, if I have posted this is the wrong area. I did not know how to add my mesh files so I put a link to them below .

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EuYyjgf5LQqsB-Roinq0Zsh16nOjA4SM?usp=sharing

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If it's black it means the rays are missing.  Check the scale and position of the high Vs low meshes
  • GeorgeSpider
    poopipe said:
    If it's black it means the rays are missing.  Check the scale and position of the high Vs low meshes
    thank for the help if I import my high poly mesh from Zbrush into Maya then export it to substance it works but it does not use the high poly exported just from Zbrush even though the scale and position have not changed. and if I put the high poly into Maya first I lose the ID map I set up in ZBrush. thanks for the help as I have a workaround now but do you have any idea why the high poly from Zbrush don't work?
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Oh, sorry.  I missed the bit about baking by name. 
    The naming is case sensitive I think. It's anyone's guess what zbrush does at export, I've never had a lot of success with files that come directly from it.

You can bake your poly paint to a texture in zbrush I think, just import that to painter with the low res
  • GeorgeSpider
    poopipe said:
    Oh, sorry.  I missed the bit about baking by name. 
    The naming is case sensitive I think. It's anyone's guess what zbrush does at export, I've never had a lot of success with files that come directly from it.

You can bake your poly paint to a texture in zbrush I think, just import that to painter with the low res
    i did not even think about baking the poly paint to a texture thank you so much for your help you have been a life saver