Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo II "back-projection"

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
starcow polycount sponsor
Hi polycounters (-:
As a big Diablo II fan, I started a project some time ago that might also interest one or the other Diablo II fan among you.

I was curious whether the Diablo II level architecture could be transferred to 3D without losing its classic charm.
The core idea was to model the individual assets by hand and then map the texture onto them using projection technology.
I then added the places that were covered by the perspective on the texture map by hand.
A small test level with the desert theme from Act 2, which I had created with "Paul Siramy's" level editor, served as the basis.

An interesting detail:
Many assets required a separate version for the left and right view, as they are only apparently identical. For example, some are of different thicknesses. Presumably to achieve a better aesthetic in the tiles.
Also, certain elements seem to sit in the middle, which is actually not the case.

Here are the results:
I hope you like it.

Cheers, starcow

(At the end of the list you will find a video that explains the idea again and shows a comparison between the original 2D graphics and the transformation into the third dimension.)

Video:
http://mischaschaub.com/mappenvideo/mappenvideo_023-0020.mp4

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    idk about everyone else, but i only allow connections i somewhat trust and currently you are hosting this video on some site and from the ip's i view hosting from amazon? what's wrong with polycounts image uploading system? I allowed that and can see images when users use p.c.'s img system. otherwise i hope this is good, i can't tell cause its blocked and i will not allow random ip's. sry. just a heads up about today's digital climate.
    Really wanted to comment on your thread in a different light but here i am, trying to stay clean in the digital world, probably over doing it but i hear it is better to be safe than sry. Ty for sponsoring your trusted art site.
  • starcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    idk about everyone else, but i only allow connections i somewhat trust and currently you are hosting this video on some site and from the ip's i view hosting from amazon? what's wrong with polycounts image uploading system? I allowed that and can see images when users use p.c.'s img system. otherwise i hope this is good, i can't tell cause its blocked and i will not allow random ip's. sry. just a heads up about today's digital climate.
    Really wanted to comment on your thread in a different light but here i am, trying to stay clean in the digital world, probably over doing it but i hear it is better to be safe than sry. Ty for sponsoring your trusted art site.
    This is simply the host of my portfolio page. I do not think that they are rented from amazon.
    I don't see any possibility of embedding videos here directly. But maybe there is one?

Btw:
    My webside is safe. I guarantee it. It's a trustworthy host that I pay well. It contains no advertising and does not require cookies or JavaScript. I wrote the code myself.

Cheers
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    This is what I see:

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    This is what I see:

god damn it, did i put on your glasses again, shit we are ol as f-ck!
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    @starcow I can see the images just fine, and likely anyone with their browsers/ad blockers configured to allow images from third-party domains should as well.

So, getting back on track, that's a nicely executed idea. You did a good job on the stone ground pattern,. The repetition isn't as obvious as in the original despite the usage of the exactly same tile configuration and size.

I feel you could get away with lower poly topology for some details given the distance to the camera, and I'd really like to see still image comparisons with the original, directly on this thread because video presentations always less accessible, adding an extra step to getting to the content—one which isn't embedded then adds two.
  • starcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback birb! I am glad to hear that!
    Very nice that you found out why other users had problems seeing the pictures.
    I have now also uploaded the pictures to polycount.