Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Project: M44

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hello you guys! It's been a lo~ng time since I posted a progress thread here on Polycount  :o
For anyone following me on ArtStation probably saw I posted a blog post regarding my current personal project, the Anatomy Project: M44!

So I decided to create a thread here just as a record for anyone who interested to see my progress on it. But word of warning it *might* take longer then it should since it's a personal project during personal free time and art direct by myself (can be super picky sometimes)..and wasn't too sure how often I can work on it due to a full time job, other project with the Dekogon guys and learning Japanese!

Anyway,

Here are the teaser highpoly screenshots that I posted earlier;

And lowpoly AO and normal bake;

So far no texture has been created yet, but when I reached certain presentable point I'll post it here.
And as always please feel free to give comment or suggestions along the way.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Replies

• RickGreeve
    Offline / Send Message
    RickGreeve polycounter lvl 6
    Rlly stoked to see this beauty textured dude ^^
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Finally got a time today to do some progress for this rifle!
    First texture pass on the wooden stock and top hand guard.

Next probably will start building the base metal parts before continue tweaking the wood texture.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Got some extra time last couple of days, made progress for the base metal texture, still pretty basic though, mostly Generators and Fills, still.
    Gun metal is hard  :#

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Looks really good, do you own one of these or did you just collect a lot of pictures?
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hm? do you mean whether I own a Mosin Nagant? haha no man, reference mostly from google search images/ videos and World of Guns app on steam :smiley: Thanks!

Update on on the refined texture pass for the mag.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Necrobump I know, but hey update!
    It's pretty much a busy last couple of years but finally decided to pick this back up, main reason was to test and play around with the new TB4 Beta. So for this time I've redone the UV layout and WIP texture and split them to 4 IDs (from 2 IDs previously) cus I just can't get that surface details I want using only 2 IDs. So here it is!

Still WIP, might need to rebalance some textures and to texture the scope before finalizing the renders.
    Hopefully it doesn't need to take that long for next update!

Hopefully.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Texture progress for the scope!
    Really impressed with the MT4 render quality so far!

• Sloth_42
    Offline / Send Message
    Sloth_42 polycounter lvl 2
    Lookin insane dude. Always good to have some organic shapes like your leather straps to break up the hard surface silhouette
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Sloth_42 Thanks man, appreciated it!

Latest addition to the rifle I've added a shoulder strap! Tweaked the lighting a little bit, still unsure whether to go bright or dark for the background. Will need to experiment more, probably testing other Toolbag's sky for a chance.

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Quality work, the black over powers it for me, maybe an off black or something with blue since the wood has an orange tint might look nice, i can see it with a forest background (scene, hunting style) if you can pull that off.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @DavidCruz - Thanks man! yeah I think I pretty much settle with a dark blue-ish tint to my BG as a main render and probably throw in 2-3 renders with lighter BG as a variation for a chance. Don't think I want to spent more times creating the forest background though, that'll probably take me about 2 more years to complete  :p

Latest progress, refined straps! update texture with some alpha cards strip for the edge fuzziness.

• Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looks awesome dude! The material definition is spot on. 
    On the stock, would it be possible to have the wood grain reflect light at a different angle than the oil finish? That would give it a lot of depth.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Quasar - Hey man thanks! well these guys are pretty smooth actually, they dont have a rough wood plank kind of feeling with a bumps on the wood grain.  Or you were talking about different things?

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Revel said:
    @DavidCruz - Thanks man!  Don't think I want to spent more times creating the forest background though, that'll probably take me about 2 more years to complete  :p 

Was thinking more of a dimly faded or nighttime version of an HDRi (quick search probably) some cool kids use custom hrdi's i hear. =p but yea i agree what ever works for you.  Thanks for response, looking forward to the final.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hahah I was looking for something like more of a close up HDRI, something like grungy table top for the background, but seems like most of the sky available online are a wide shot of a park or a full room kinda scale  :p

Thanks man tried my best to squeeze in time for this in between my free time~
  • Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    @Revel - I made a quick video of me moving a light around my SKS stock. You can see how the grain of the wood picks up the light at certain angles. The color of the grain becomes more saturated as well when it lights up. On a laminated stock, like in the photo you posted, the effect is really neat because the layers of wood are at different angles.

https://youtu.be/GOfY4eamt5A
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Quasar - Oh shit right! hmmmmm, not sure how to do that in Marmoset, probably with the clearcoat I can try to test that effect out. Thanks so much for the video man! really appreciated you took the time to upload that  =)