Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prop modelling [Feedback wanted]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
knightfallows polycounter lvl 4
Hey all,
I've started to revisit my old work pre-masters and update them with what I know now as I work on my portfolio. One weakness I'm aware of with my work is the texturing, so with this asset and the next I'm focusing on getting a firm grip on the PBR workflow.

First thing I've started on is this alarm clock concept art by Dmitry Sorokin.

Just looking for general feedback relating to the texturing work; what do you think I'm missing and such.

I've uploaded this to Sketchfab but I can't for the life of me figure out how to embed it here, so here's a link to the site:

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Might be just me but the renders are very dark.
    Still, what i think is missing is some story to this prop. The model looks pristine and thats good for something like archviz but if you are doing game props then you should think about making things more interesting. Scuffs, scratches, smudges, dirt, torn stickers, bent edges and so on. Make sure you dont overdo it.
  • knightfallows
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update,
    First of all cheers mate, you were right about it being dark so I lightened up the scene and then went about being more considerate to the roughness map and colour map to show more obvious wear and tear.

Some renders from a distance to get an idea of the readability.

Colour Map/Roughness Map

Don't think I'll add much else to this right now as I've got some other things I want to make.

A comparison of the first time I made this prop last year before my time in masters.

• knightfallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Next Update,
    I'm now reworking my aircon unit from the ground up.

Right now I've got the high poly and low poly done with uv unwrap and textures baked.

Tomorrow I'll be getting on with the texturing.

Baked Renders w/o texturing

Low Poly & High Poly

Breakdown (In Marmoset)

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This part I circled in blue could be a different separated mesh, and thus not need the insane amount of geo you've used for it. The backing which I've circled in red has a massive amount of geo for it too. The cover, if you had used a half sphere but rotated, so the pole is in front, you could have saved on a bit of geo there too. The way you've merged a lot of the verts on the mesh on the right might save in geo, but it kinda makes the topology look a little ugly. I think you could have had a few more edges running alongside the mesh so not so many edges terminated at those spots.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    What he said ^
  • knightfallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Took on your feedback and made alterations to the low poly.

Seperated a lot of the interior pieces by where they would have hard edges anyway and capped them using quads.

I think the blades are the last thing that need some work but they are hidden behind so much noise Ill see how the texturing works out first.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The back of the blade enclosure thingy can be detached and just made into a plane with just one poly or a 6 sided cylinder cap.
    The middle cylinder that the blade rotates on can be also detached and maybe use a 8 sided cyl instead, because it will also be hard to see.
    But good progress, nonetheless
  • knightfallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so first of all I made changes again to the low poly; deleted some back faces and swapped that back piece out for a 4-sided plain.

Now I've been getting on with a first pass on the texturing.
    As opposed to the alarm clock with this one I want to go more worn and torn, have it appear as though its exposed to the elements.
    Right now  got a dirt pass and slight rust build up. Next will probably be adding more wear and tear to edges and then getting some labels and stickers and the like on the body.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Texturing looks cool :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    As simple as that fan seems i am really liking its textures, you achieved something pretty cool with that, the gate specifically looks great.
  • knightfallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the kind words people.

Been a busy few weeks since then and decided I was happy with what I had and uploaded it to my artstation.

Moved onto my next portfolio piece; I have wanted to get some more Zbrush under my belt and so have gone about creating this alarm bell from AC Unity.

Got the big shapes sorted and I'm happy with my detailing so far.

One issue I am having is figuring out the rope that would be inside the bell; I've plotted the shape out with ZSpheres but not really sure where to go from there if anyone has any advice.

The only lead I've got right now is following this tutorial: https://youtu.be/YmL9PJXFsgA?t=473.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    If you are not adamant about doing it in zbrush i recommend doing a tileable texture in SD. Much faster i think and you can do a simple mesh to put the tiling rope texture on.
  • Cl3m
    Offline / Send Message
    Cl3m node

Hello all,

I poste my project today "Oak Mantle Clock" for general feedback to the modeling, bake and uv. I created an artstation page for the marmoset viewer, I find it easier to judge because I don't know if we can put it on the forum ! 🤔

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4X0vP1

Thank you for your help !

• Malik

hey, nice model you made there, I got a question, how do you pack ur uv so nicely? Do you pack it manually or with some sort of special software?

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth

He appears to be using Ryzom UV? Not sure why he's taking over your thread though.

For your AC project, I suggest you look into how AC, and most open world games, handles textures as trim sheets. Likely only the bell is textured manually, if that.

• sarasumm
    Offline / Send Message
    sarasumm polycounter lvl 4

I definitely agree with the other comments about looking into trim sheets. Apart from that, I would suggest making the base boards a bit larger as the bell loks like it could topple over pretty easily. Good work!

• Cl3m
    Offline / Send Message
    Cl3m node

@Malik I use 3ds max with a free plugin "textool" for the packing and calculed texel density.

https://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/textools-toolbox-for-the-texture-artist

• chien
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13

@knightfallows thats great, look forward to more stuff