Home Marmoset

Horrible performance problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
efwfew16 polycounter lvl 3
I have a  scene that consists of around 20  objects. When all objects are visible, the scene runs so slow I have to force quit marmoset.  I admit maybe 5 of them have quite high poly (take around  5mb of memory and 3 mb or vram). Most of the mesh have 4k textures from substance.
I thought this was the problem, however I have another scene with less objects but they all take similar amount of memory and vram, and it runs perfectly fine. I tried reimporting smaller object with less poly, and 2k textures, but no change. (of coure i'm running on the lowest settings, half resolution, speedy viewport, no effect and all) In task manager, marmoset is using basically all my computer memory. (why is my other scene fine then ?)

What I don't understand is that I have my objects in folder, and  when i unhide some of them the scene gets slower and slower, and it's not even big objects. I just don't understand why. I think a few objects are causing the scene to run very slow, it just seems so random; sometime when most of my mesh are visible it runs fine, then I unhide one small mesh and it goes insane.

Does the object size matter ? I admit I kinda messed up with the import export settings. In scale settings I have my scene in meter, and in imported, when it's meter,  my mesh are huge compare to the scale reference, but when I put imported in cm it's small. I have my maya scene in cm. Anyway I don't know if it matter but I always get confused with it.
I tried removing all light, no change. Is it something with texture ? tangeant space ?  or in the end my object just have too much poly?  I don't think my hardware is the problem

(if it matters my export settings in substance  are :

it gives me a diffuse,height,metallic,ao,normal and normal opengl, roughness map. Initally I used 16bit but turned down some big object to 8bit, not sure if it makes a difference. I'm using PBR metallic roughness in substance.

Thanks

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Is global illumination on? and shadows on high? that would chug the system(it does to mine), i do not see it mentioned so i thought i'd toss it out there.
    Yes scale matters, from what i have read.(it is a small obstacle but an obstacle never the less to get the scaling right across multiple apps.)
    Think another issue could be your memory amount, you didn't mention it.
  • efwfew16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Is global illumination on? and shadows on high? that would chug the system(it does to mine), i do not see it mentioned so i thought i'd toss it out there.
    Yes scale matters, from what i have read.(it is a small obstacle but an obstacle never the less to get the scaling right across multiple apps.)
    Think another issue could be your memory amount, you didn't mention it.

Nope everything is turned off. As far as my specs:  here it is

CPU
        Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz  
        Skylake 14nm Technology
    RAM
        16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1205MHz (16-16-16-39

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

I'm a bit noob when it comes to hardware though. Gonna try to mess around with the scaling
    Here's a screenshot of my task manager with almost all objects visible

• efwfew16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case anyone is reading this; i've reimport my mesh with as less poly as I could and Marmoset is  still taking up all the vram.
    I've even signed up for marmoset 4 beta and still the same problem, even if I put the view port on untextured (and ALL lowest settings) I can't have all object visible at the same time without crashing.
    I've imported objects from previous scene that worked, and size wise there isn't much of a difference. I really have no idea what causes it. It can't be the mesh size, or the texture size. I also tried to remove the light, background and what not but still :/
    If I've had to guess the problem must be in the import settings/normal/baking. No idea
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Okay try this, split the entire scene you are having issues with one at a time EACH, re-import 1 object (example circle) 1st, close, reopen app, then 2 (triangle), then 3(square), each, by the time you get through this list you might've already found the problematic object if not then 2 objects (circle, triangle) each one till it happens again.
    That is all i got, i went silent because i also have no idea and only a creator of the application can help you, i tried to give them time by butting in.
    If nothing else works ^ here i think you have too many polys for the engine you found the breaking point.
  • efwfew16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Okay try this, split the entire scene you are having issues with one at a time EACH, re-import 1 object (example circle) 1st, close, reopen app, then 2 (triangle), then 3(square), each, by the time you get through this list you might've already found the problematic object if not then 2 objects (circle, triangle) each one till it happens again.
    That is all i got, i went silent because i also have no idea and only a creator of the application can help you, i tried to give them time by butting in.
    If nothing else works ^ here i think you have too many polys for the engine you found the breaking point.

Thanks! Appreciate all the help I can have. I tried to start the scene over in marmoset, and while it's a bit better it's still pretty harsh. I'm gonna try to do what you recommend.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Upload your models. Otherwise this is all just conjecture and no one will be able to actually help you figuring out what's going on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do the 20 objects each have unique texture maps? If so, the texture memory is likely the culprit. Even resizing to 2K, that will require a lot of video memory. you can click on the GPU tab in Task Manager and pay attention to the video memory graphs to verify.

Closing all other applications may help too, especially content creations apps like Painter/Designer/Photoshop/etc.