Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Mine In The Forest

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
Sup all,

Decided to start an a bit more abitious project, rather then keep doing corridors all the time. 

insipired from Half-Life 2 Episode 2

Replies

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message

Some progress before I go and start doing modular models and vertex paint textures

Edit:

time to implement some stuff that actually makes it look like a mine and not some usual building
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, done for today.

Tommorrow will try to figure out a better foreground and keep working on everything without going into details yet.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright the mining facility block out can be called done, now its time to start detailing the models and materials- the harder part, lets go!
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, trying to make this box of a building look more interesting (this shouldve been planned in the blocking phase) & working on meshes. Oh well, it was a cool learning experience.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Just an idea but maybe make the terrain less flat, like a small raise here and there would go a long way into selling the environment. Of course the terrain under the cart tracks should be almost flat but i think you can add some elevation changes in the rest of the scene.
    Also, i suggest using the high res screenshot option and not direct captures from the editor window. It will give you a lot more detail especially if you couple that with a higher screen percentage. I usually set screen percentage at 200, run the game in a separate window and take screenshots from there with the command highresshot 3 which renders the screen at 3 times the physical resolution, then i resize it to something like 2k.
    Good luck
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Just an idea but maybe make the terrain less flat, like a small raise here and there would go a long way into selling the environment. Of course the terrain under the cart tracks should be almost flat but i think you can add some elevation changes in the rest of the scene.
    Also, i suggest using the high res screenshot option and not direct captures from the editor window. It will give you a lot more detail especially if you couple that with a higher screen percentage. I usually set screen percentage at 200, run the game in a separate window and take screenshots from there with the command highresshot 3 which renders the screen at 3 times the physical resolution, then i resize it to something like 2k.
    Good luck
    Amazing advice man! Thank you!

The though of changing terrain elevations went through my head but for some reason I didn’t end up implementing it! 

Thanks for the screenshot advice, I will post a better one when I can.

Also gonna take a 2 day break from this environment to come back with a fresh eye, rested and not as caffnianatef.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message

Decided to change the idea a bit to make the building look not as boring and working on the terrain. Please keep in mind that its still pretty rough, a lot of refinements need to be done, but I keep it simple so I dont have to move a lot of stuff around. 

Also added mountains, not too sure about them however.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message

Alright, last update before I head out for couple days, added a spot light to the trop of the tower to make it pop a bit more.
  • scottycharly
    Offline / Send Message
    scottycharly polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work! The red building in the center with the mountains behind is very nice. The lighting is making the volume pop out and easy to read. The fog around it makes it even more of the centerpiece. I would hide the yellow building in the front right though. Having a bright yellow spot so visible draws a lot of attention to it when it's not very interesting. I liked it better when it was less saturated and hidden behind a tree.  Or even when it was just a tree.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! The red building in the center with the mountains behind is very nice. The lighting is making the volume pop out and easy to read. The fog around it makes it even more of the centerpiece. I would hide the yellow building in the front right though. Having a bright yellow spot so visible draws a lot of attention to it when it's not very interesting. I liked it better when it was less saturated and hidden behind a tree.  Or even when it was just a tree.
    Hey man! Thanks a lot, that’s honestly really dope that you liked my piece! 

The plan for this yellow building is to make an entrance like a door or a window, where the player will have to go first to, it’s quite nice because the plan is for the eye to enter the top left corner of the pic , see the tower and after that see a potential gate which will be closed and then see the entrance to the house which will have the controls. 

That’s the plan for now, but it might change as I go.

Also another huge thing to work on next is the Silhouette of the top section of the Middle tower, because right now it’s just a box which isn’t interesting to say the least.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Im back, adjusted a few things, now thats im more or less satisfied time to go in a actually model this tower and most of other things instead of using block geo given with ue4, lets go!

• cello8080
    Offline / Send Message
    cello8080 polycounter lvl 4
    looks promising! :) I think the foliage could do with a detail pass. The trees seem to all be the same age/length. and the same with the grass. Some field flowers or weeds would really help break up the grass and add more feeling of this being an abandoned place :) 

Materials on the buildings seem a bit too clean for an old mine as well. some dirt and rust will go a long way :)
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    cello8080 said:
    looks promising! :) I think the foliage could do with a detail pass. The trees seem to all be the same age/length. and the same with the grass. Some field flowers or weeds would really help break up the grass and add more feeling of this being an abandoned place :) 

Materials on the buildings seem a bit too clean for an old mine as well. some dirt and rust will go a long way :)
    Noted! Thank you! Yeah the plan today is to work on the grass and vertex paint materials.

Fixed some of the stuff, now its time to refine the vertex painting.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright gonna call this one done. Any critisism is welcomed!

• Polynaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    I like the color painted buildings. It is a good piece which can be turned into an even better one with some modifications.
    You have these rails leading into the scene but then they end at the closed gates. Open one of it to get a peak inside the facility - maybe someone is living there? This way you guide the viewer into the picture and into the story.
    The blacks are too strong - there's barely anything readable in the tree to the left or in the entrance of the shack to the right which could also be a shelter for some inhabitants.
    The size of the lorries is hard to grasp without some every day props around to compare with - a shovel leaning at one of them or a bucket next to the rails... whatever fits the scene.

my 2 cents
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the color painted buildings. It is a good piece which can be turned into an even better one with some modifications.
    You have these rails leading into the scene but then they end at the closed gates. Open one of it to get a peak inside the facility - maybe someone is living there? This way you guide the viewer into the picture and into the story.
    The blacks are too strong - there's barely anything readable in the tree to the left or in the entrance of the shack to the right which could also be a shelter for some inhabitants.
    The size of the lorries is hard to grasp without some every day props around to compare with - a shovel leaning at one of them or a bucket next to the rails... whatever fits the scene.

my 2 cents
    Thank you man! I will try to play around with the gates and take your other advice, but the idea is to keep is piece as simple and as readable as possible, but I definetly think that the open door is a great idea! 

Again, thank you very much!