Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tec 9 Critique

BMovie
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BMovie polycounter lvl 6
Good Day all,

I've recently update this guns topology and textures as i really enjoyed modelling this gun, May i get a critique of my tec 9 and lighting before i upload it to my portfolio please.

Thank you for looking.

Replies

• lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    The model, and bakes look great. The textures however are boring, especially the plastic. It is too even at the moment so it lacks interest. You could easily add some interest by giving it some roughness variation where it makes sense (you would expect the parts that have more contact with the hands to be a bit more glossy). Adding the cast seam in the middle would also give a bit of interest. 

In regards to the lighting, what you need is basically to visually separate the model from the background and make sure that your roughness is visible. To achieve separation from the background you can add rim lights around the edges. Here you can see a good example of what I mean: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kYv1n Notice how bright are the edges compared to everything else.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Your render lacks nice highlights, rim lights etc. You can find good tutorials on how to render a weapon on Artstation. As for textures, they could use more work. The plastic looks like you only added noise to the height channel. The stains on the metal parts are quite nice but you could do more with the metal.
  • BMovie
    Offline / Send Message
    BMovie polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you both for the feedback, Here are some updated images from similar angles with updated texture and lighting.