Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Camille Meehan

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Camille_Meehan polycounter lvl 3
I accidentally hit the soft select mode key B, in my Maya studies. Hit B to toggle it on and off.

I Google searched, "why is Maya outlining in rainbow color," and "why are my outlines bright in Maya," and even "autodesk maya outlining in multicolor??' (yes, including the double question mark) which fortunately got me to an answer which I found on the Autodesk Support forums as an answer to this question "When I select a vertex, it turns bright yellow and surrounding ones turn bright yellow to a dark orange".

I was pretty frustrated that my clean outlines were suddenly broadcast live in technicolor. Fortunately, it is a super easy fix.

That's the ghostbuster trap that I'm working on for a Udemy course, Maya for Beginners, Complete Guide to 3D Animation in Maya. I've been developing the parts of the trap that aren't included in the course, which means adding edge loops and practicing skills I learned earlier on, this was driving me bonkers.  :D Hope it helps someone else new to the Soft Select tool.

I bet it's useful, I should figure out how to actually I use this soft select tool.

Replies

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on my Ghostbusters trap. I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!

Later on I'll be texturing and animating it. First I have some organic modeling to learn, a skeleton a la Coco style :)

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on my shapes. Looked up scenes from the movies so that I could flesh out the model a bit while also reviewing the tools I've learned so far. I also looked up the 2016 Ghostbuster's trap, it's very different from the original, cylindrical. 

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kept hearing about the Maya crashes, and now I am happy to announce...happy First Crash Day to me. May it be merry and full of good spirit.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, soft select IS pretty wonderful.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is pretty much done for now. I'm going to add textures, animate and I believe add some FX , later on in the Udemy course. Next up I'm working on a skeleton similar to those in Coco. I wrote about the Ghostbusters Trap project on Artstation here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vg83A5

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, extruded vertices on my skull in progress. I used box modeling to create the basic shape and I've started sculpting it. I am going to do some edge modeling next to fit in the eye and nose holes on this skull. His new hair is very metal.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe I ran into a magical disappearing object issue on my skull, the mesh combine fix didn't work but I'm still troubleshooting to see what can be done. I may for expediency just reopen the last version that worked. Wish I knew what happened to cause this.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I've decided to reload the prior version because it may be a disappearing object or something I did. Here is a screen capture of what it looks like when selected in the outliner.  It also chopped the top off the reference. Formerly, the polygon was a skull shape. I was cleaning up the geometry for the nose cavity.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty much done for now. I'm going to add textures, animate and I believe add some FX , later on in the Udemy course. Next up I'm working on a skeleton similar to those in Coco. I wrote about the Ghostbusters Trap project on Artstation here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vg83A5 as well.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I switched to working in a different location for a while, on a different laptop. The result was I stopped work on my cup model and also stopped updating the Polycount sketchbook. It was a working vacation, complete with a flowing river and cabin.

At the cabin, I continued working more on the Udemy Lucas Ridley course. I'm just about done with the 3D modeling section and moving on. First though, I seem to be struggling to get the wire deformer to work as demonstrated. I'll post what I have available via images but since they got all split up by my working in a different location they might come in a later post. Specifically, I made a spine by using a lattice motion deformer on a polygon and animating a snapshot of it up the spine curve. I am trying to wire deform the resulting polygons to the curve so I can adjust the spine placement if needed later and I must be doing something wrong. It doesn't seem to be linking up. I'll try again on that today and am optimistic I'll figure it out. It may have just been the laptop interface? Maybe being on my desktop will solve the problem, hah. *crosses her fingers*

Here is a bit of what I've been up to.

Reference photo.

This was based on an old Mike Hermes YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PntVhzpWDKY for how to make a mug. I didn't like the resulting stretched geometry on the inside and bottom of the cup so I adjusted it by adding some caps to the cylinder and adjusting edge loops on the inside. 

I just learned to link a polygon to a path in the Udemy course so I used that technique to make the handle, which is much more detailed than the one in the Hermes tutorial.

From there I wasn't entirely sure what to do but I had just learned edge modeling and so I went from there. The trickiest part was wrapping my head around the geometry and getting everything to line up on the cup where it connects. There were a lot fewer edges on the tutorial so...yeah. Puzzle solving :D

This shot below is me learning to edge model the eye socket in a skull.

I haven't finished up the Austrian cup just yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing it finished so that I can do the hot chocolate tutorial and fill that cup up! 
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the skeleton work. I was working on my laptop and some of the functions just didn't seem to be working as I needed. Once I brought the project home to my PC it magically worked! Pretty nice to be able to make progress.

First, the spine, wire deformer in a neutral position and then pushed over down below. For some reason, the laptop wasn't having any of this however, it may also have been operator error. :) 

Then I used the bend deformer to start some ribs. These proved more challenging then I expected. Also, somewhere in the sculpting process things went a little wonky and that top rib amusingly seems to have some little spurs. I've decided to let them be in favor of moving on to other bones and soon a new model. So, warty ribs :+1:

Followed by my triumph, the beginnings of a sternum. 

I'm amused looking back at my former posts because I had no idea what the soft select tool is and now I use it all the time. I'm hoping that is how these deformers and lattices end up to me, second nature.  I am going to sculpt the collarbone next and try to do the full skeleton, even if a bit rough.

The wildfire smoke is pretty bad where I'm at, so I'll be indoors on my computer modeling away. Silver lining.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The collarbone is finished and I added more definition to the sternum bone. I feel I probably over beveled the sternum edges but it is a cartoon and a learning project so again, onward and upward. My goal at the moment is to sculpt faster and to practice the UI until it vanishes.

The smoke cleared up last night! I'm so happy, every window is open and I can breathe.

Below is where I beveled the sternum edges more.

And I didn't get any process shots on the collarbone, it is a cylinder. I learned how to grow and shrink my selection while working on it. That is really helpful. The rectangle in the background is going to be my scapula bone and is the next thing I'll be setting up. I anticipate it will be more of a challenge, but the arm bones should go relatively fast if the collarbone is any indicator. 

---

It is a rough week. :anguished:

"At Columbia Law School, my professor of constitutional law and federal courts, Gerald Gunther, was determined to place me in a federal court clerkship, despite what was then viewed as a grave impediment: On graduation, I was the mother of a 4-year-old child."

"
    How fortunate I was to be alive and a lawyer when, for the first time in United States history, it became possible to urge, successfully, before legislatures and courts, the equal-citizenship stature of women and men as a fundamental constitutional principle."

"When I was growing up, there were no women in orchestras. Auditioners thought they could tell the difference between a woman playing and a man. Some intelligent person devised a simple solution: Drop a curtain between the auditioners and the people trying out. And, lo and behold, women began to get jobs in symphony orchestras."

~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

Rest in power. 
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished more on that skeleton above, but that work is still packed in a suitcase following my return from Kirkland so instead I am revealing for the very first time EVER this fabulous sphere. :) This is my homework assignment for Intro to Maya on CGMA. I had just watched a Mike Hermes video on topology so this was a perfect followup. https://youtu.be/XiBzJFuN5s4

Next week we'll be modeling a robot and using this sphere as part of it. I am most interested in living creatures, natural structures, and plants, so I'm pondering how to put my own spin on the robot. I bet there is a way I could make it solarpunk, yeah, I'll try that.

Regarding the sphere below, it is actually a cube polygon. The lack of triangles should help it smooth out and make it easier to edit for the upcoming project. 

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been busy with modeling and art these days. My 2D sketchbook is a combination of my 3D studies and my ongoing 2D value/color/texture studies. I love seeing these little bursts of work add up to a fascinating tapestry of mixed interest on my Instagram

What's been keeping me so busy in the 3D world? Yikes, well, making this little owlbot for one. I ended up redoing her arms and legs after the first attempt where I tried modeling them into one mesh. (then I beveled them to delightfully disastrous end hahahaha) 

I spent yesterday creating a full set of UVs for the character and I think they make much more sense to me now, though obviously, I'm still waiting on my instructor David Mooy's feedback to see what needs to improve. I suspect the UVs should be straighter, but that is something I can iterate on.

This is way more complicated than the design in the school assignment, but the design of the school assignment didn't interest me as much as this does. Thanks for taking a look at my concepts and meshes!
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I've decided to reload the prior version because it may be a disappearing object or something I did. Here is a screen capture of what it looks like when selected in the outliner.  It also chopped the top off the reference. Formerly, the polygon was a skull shape. I was cleaning up the geometry for the nose cavity.

I solved this problem after it nearly convinced me I needed a new computer. H

Recap of the problem:
    1. When I hit 3 to smooth polygons in Maya, they would often vanish entirely or stretch out. 
    2. When I loaded my .ma file saved in ASCII the files would do things similar to the image above, with geometry exploding or vanishing outward. For a time I would just reload over and over until the file blessedly fixed itself. I would sometimes need to open a file five times to get it to load up fully.
    3. I didn't think I could render the subdivision because hitting 3 was so disastrous. Being new, I didn't realize this was essential functionality...and so here is the fix that worked for me.

Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Modeling > Global Subdivision Method

I changed the Global Subdivision Method from OpenSubDiv Catmull-Clark to Maya Catmull-Clark

I suspect this has something to do with my graphics cards or the age of my hardware but I don't really know. My instructor David Mooy took a long careful look at the polygons and determined that nothing there was likely to be causing the issues.

So far, the solution above has fixed all my problems with the disappearing polygons in Maya 2020. It also helped a classmate with the same problem, so hopefully, it helps you.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick update on the skeleton learning project. I was as I mentioned doing the Udemy coursework, Maya For Beginners: Complete Guide to 3D Animation by Lucas Ridley.  I nearly finished modeling the skeleton and then my CGMA course Intro to Maya began. It was a pretty great intro but I'm stopped at the rendering, which is great because I have an extra week for my rendering coursework in the CGMA coursework and could use more clarification. There is so much noise in my beautiful beautiful render :(

Skeleton updates! The main thing I did differently from the video here is to pull up an anatomical drawing of a skeleton to create a less stylized model. It is still very much stylized but I wanted to know how to do the sort of modeling that bones require, and so sculpting it took a bit of time but was a great learning experience. The feedback from CGMA has helped me level up quite a bit since these bones were put together, and it also helps to be able to hit 3 to smooth now haha.

This is shortly after the last update. You may notice the sternum is gone. It vanished in a smoothing glitch which fortunately I fixed later. I also learned how to save iterations and that has been a godsend. For this skeleton though, no more sternum >-<

Hand is coming together.

Then the foot is coming together.

And that is where she's at. Needs a hip and sternum and then flipped to be a complete situation.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm taking the Intro to Maya course at CGMA which involves modeling and animating a robot in Autodesk Maya. Usually that bot will look something like this when finally rendered.

Image from the CGMA course page.

While that's a super cute bot, it isn't my style so I decided to sketch out my own concept and model. David Mooy had stated in the class that provided my robot had the same basic parts, it would work fine. Hence, I started makin' my Owlbot!

Concept art was made by me with heavy influence by the concept art of Georgia Patton, which you can see animated by Alina Godfrey on her site

I'd love to work on more natural environments, so naturally, I gravitated towards making a bot that would fit into a Solarpunk style future. I adore this line from my inspiration board, "We are golden, and our future is bright"

Thus my owlbot is a garden tender from such a world as the above. Crafted to look like animals from the days of yore, some of which have been restored in their natural habitat, and others which serve as a reminder to the people of what was lost but which may yet be reborn.

(Genetic cloning from long dead creatures passenger pigeonsTasmanian wolves, great auks)

So here it the concept art for my owlbot. It evolved over time as I grew more confident.

Here is the color idea, which came along after I remodeled it away from a single mesh.

I should have tried modeling the interesting leg booties and arm gauntlets in the beginning, but alas I did not. So here is the modeling as it progressed.

I set up UVs for the first time as well. This was an eye opening experience. Ultimately I had to redo it, but you know what they say, practice makes progress :)

So that is what the first part of my CGMA coursework looks like. I've loved the feedback on my homework from the instructor and I feel like I'm leveling up quickly.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Owlbot has come quite a ways since early October. There are a few things I'd love to change the model but after remodeling the arms and legs three times, then redoing the UVs a second time, I'm a bit out of time. Fortunately, I'm happy with the progress I've made and with the lessons that came from redoing so much of the mesh.

Here she is now in all her C3PO glory.

*** Just kidding. *** I'm having rendering issues!

If you know what to do when a texture that should be working is coming in black under a default Arnold skydome light, let me know. I'm trying to figure it out, and I bet my additional rendering studies this week will help me understand.

So I'll continue on in the next post with the mesh, UVs, and closeup shots of my final model. I do have some nicer renders where the texture is working as intended. I'll post those at the end.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quite a few closeups of the final mesh on my Owlbot. 

I love the way the eyes came out and am looking forward to seeing how they animate and express themselves.

My instructor pointed out that the edges in the back of the skull, where the 'brain' connects to the skull, suggested I move the vertices out away from the corners to reduce the 'pinch'.

Again with the eyes, I'm really pleased that I sunk them back into sockets. I redid the jaw because it had some zero area faces that were wrecking the model's UVs. I'm relieved to be able to spot them now with more ease.  I also reworked the entire torso to make it softer, rounder, more consistent in edge loop spacing/vertices alignment.

Closeups of the bits and pieces. The first time around I did a bevel that split into 4 instead of 2, it made UVs a challenge and made the edge look artificial (in a bad way). So here I redid the bevels and softened it up, more consistently treating all the edges.

Feet were tricky, the first time I did them the auto bevel did some unpleasant things. I learned to not use auto, to just go through and look to make sure whatever mode I pick is working well before settling on one. The one feedback David Mooy gave me on these post redesign was an introduction to the fit to curve edge loop functionality. Which, when used on the Ankle joint, could have made it a smoother transition in the curve. It essentially attempts to maintain the curve's shape when the edge loop is placed, reducing the distortion a loop might otherwise add.

Texture mapping. I hand-painted this onto the model in Maya, and I believe I set the resolution too low because when I looked at the file in Photoshop it was much less detailed than expected. It was interesting that the hand coloring resulted in a sort of bleeding from one piece to the next. This was my first time texturing a model and I'll soon be doing more of it with Substance Painter as my main focus. 

Finally as promised, I'm down to showing off the first Arnold renders. I used an image that I sourced from Polycount user post by pixelpatron for my skydome light.  I created a procedural texture on the edges to reveal a coppery metal underneath my paint layer. I dig it. 

Thanks for reading and looking at my modeling. Stay safe out there.

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This being my first animated 3D model I'm really excited hahah. I haven't exported video footage yet but here are some stills of the Owlbot from Mixamo. I imported the character into their animation browser. This is so cool!

• Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an idea for a winged cape that I'd like to add to my owlbot. A little harpy snuggy :) I was looking forward to sitting down and modeling when the Maya update dropped. Now I'm troubleshooting after running the install.

Maya can't seem to locate Arnold, which seems to be a common enough problem. I'm trying the troubleshooting listed here in case you run into the same issues. Arnold errors when launching program after updating Maya | Maya | Autodesk Knowledge Network

I just tried doing a clean uninstall and am reinstalling, but... 

It looks like I got some work to do. :persevere:

*edit* I forgot to uninstall Bifrost and a few other smaller items in my clean uninstall. I removed them, then uninstalled again...reinstalled, and I think it is working now. We now need to make sure that Arnold is loading, and YES, we are back up and running. Victory is mine.
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the latest sketches! I've been busy and got swept up in modeling but not posting over the holidays.

I'm working on more everyday stuff like furniture, stationary, and houseplants.

The table bottom is probably not going to show in the finished render I have in mind so I might not add the drawers that graced this 1900's industrial work desk. They're really pretty though, in that old library catalog sort of way, so I may just.

The sketch I'm working from is this concept I put together, roughly inspired by the botanist Elizabeth Gertrude Britton  (Knight).

I've also been playing around with kids, this is what we came up with.

Chickens, all the chickens. It's fun because Maya is so different from any of the games that kids play. "Why can't we see the colors as it changes?" "Well, this software can sometimes have trouble showing all the colors which is why we make it optional..." (I think that is the answer, roughly.)
  • Camille_Meehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited to share my one year anniversary of my First Crash Day! Happy First Crash Day to me. 

The last year of studying 3D has been magical, and while there are many more images and moments than I could fit into this short video, I think I did a fair job of covering the bulk of my studies. It isn't a demo reel, because frankly there is a lot of not so great work in there. That's how you learn though, make mistakes, get better. Bit by bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_m8Nbors4