Home Technical Talk

HairCards - Zbrush - Tutorials for making hair with fibermesh

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Heya all, was following a Tut that iv followed before too some okay results but feel the starting point of the fibermesh is so wildly different an copying there settings is not really yilding the same results and not learning how to make hair i guess? are there good tuts out there for learning how to make differing styles off hair too then make them into hair cards.

I know there a very famous paid one but with covid money is rather tight so any good youtube ones would help! the one i am currently using is this and its amazing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMLW2NPmFk&t=694s

But it misses that setting up phase from a default point which make replicating or sorta understanding hard for me, apologies its not meant as a bash on the video its just something maybe i struggle with but it helps if i start at the same place. Thanks for understanding!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Not too many people use fibermesh for this. Seems like most the pros use a plugin for max or maya. Xgen, hair and fur, etc.

I've used fibermesh quite a bit in the past though. If you have trouble figuring out how tto do a specific thing with it just make a thread on the forum. Fibermesh is relatively simple and can be learned by just fucking around with it, so shouldn't be any questions I can't answer about it.

I've also done just about every hair tutorial out there. I really can't point to any one and say it is the best. They all pretty much do the same thing. So I'd focus on just going through a lot of them quickly and not stress if you didnt understand all of it. A lot of times you understand something best when you see it from a new angle. Thats why doing the same thing a different way (from a different tutorial) can be valuable.

TL:DR

If stuck, post specific question here. I can help with fibermesh.
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    Alex_J said:
    Not too many people use fibermesh for this. Seems like most the pros use a plugin for max or maya. Xgen, hair and fur, etc.

I've used fibermesh quite a bit in the past though. If you have trouble figuring out how tto do a specific thing with it just make a thread on the forum. Fibermesh is relatively simple and can be learned by just fucking around with it, so shouldn't be any questions I can't answer about it.

I've also done just about every hair tutorial out there. I really can't point to any one and say it is the best. They all pretty much do the same thing. So I'd focus on just going through a lot of them quickly and not stress if you didnt understand all of it. A lot of times you understand something best when you see it from a new angle. Thats why doing the same thing a different way (from a different tutorial) can be valuable.

TL:DR

If stuck, post specific question here. I can help with fibermesh.
    Arggg yes Xgen, honestly it looks amazing but every time i used it Maya crashed after about 4 hours off that i just decided too move on and try this method. 

It was one of the most frustrating days iv had as a character artist, im sure i was doing something wrong but OWF, my hair way graying haha.

That might be the best case too just mess around and see were i can get again, the method worked too make some "okay" cards but they did not light too well inside off marmoset.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9eGvDa

Got Marmoset viewer here, even as a first try they came out pretty owf. 

Cheers, ill try fix something up an if i get stuck i shall give a post on here later!