Home Technical Talk

What is the best approach to modeling building interiors? Modular? Not modular?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
orangesky polycounter lvl 3
Hi!

I have a question when it comes to modeling interiors of apartments, houses, offices or any other building of this style for video games.

When modeling interiors, I usually use a modular approach, although sometimes I like to model entire rooms on a single mesh, depending on the type of project I use one method or another, I have seen many artists use other procedures and I would like to know what is the right way to go and if there is something wrong with doing it in any of these ways.

In what situation is it better to use a modular approach to create the walls and corners? And when is it better to create all the walls of the rooms in a single model or all the walls separately?

Is there a correct method? Depends on the artist?

Use a modular approach:

Each room is a single mesh:

The whole interior is a single mesh:

Each wall is an individual mesh:

Thanks for answering this little question and sorry for my English, I don't usually speak much English.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a deadline and a budget so you want maximum efficiency. This means do the most with the least.

So build as much as you can from a modular kit, using unique pieces only where absolutely necessary to meet the desired artistic goal.

Modern buildings are made from modular, dimensional materials anyway, so it makes sense to follow suit. This is going to make keeping consistent texel densities easier, as compared to a ton of different walls of different sizes.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    what style of architecture is it? are you going to be able to go outside this building? if you can go outside how far away are you going to be able to see it? How detailed are the wall meshes going to be? Is each room going to have different wall textures?

All of these approaches can work. And some of the approaches have advantages in situations the others do not.

The two modular solutions are better if you want to build multiple houses quickly.  One of the reasons for making things modular is to make it easier to make variations and changes. 
  • orangesky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orangesky polycounter lvl 3
    There is a deadline and a budget so you want maximum efficiency. This means do the most with the least.

So build as much as you can from a modular kit, using unique pieces only where absolutely necessary to meet the desired artistic goal.

Modern buildings are made from modular, dimensional materials anyway, so it makes sense to follow suit. This is going to make keeping consistent texel densities easier, as compared to a ton of different walls of different sizes.
    So it is best to use the modular approach whenever possible. Although I saw a video of the guys from Escape from Tarkov, they modeled a building that could be perfectly modular and opted to model-everything. I think it is a method that is also correct but it is still not a good option if maximum optimization is sought.

https://youtu.be/vof9Fquazxs?t=108 

Minute 1:48

what style of architecture is it? are you going to be able to go outside this building? if you can go outside how far away are you going to be able to see it? How detailed are the wall meshes going to be? Is each room going to have different wall textures?

All of these approaches can work. And some of the approaches have advantages in situations the others do not.

The two modular solutions are better if you want to build multiple houses quickly.  One of the reasons for making things modular is to make it easier to make variations and changes. 

What style of architecture is it?
    Architecture of the 80s, a typical Tuscan house.

Are you going to be able to get out of this building?
    Yes

How far away can you see it?
    1 to 100 meters

How detailed will the wall meshes be?
    Level of detail similar to Rainbow Six Siege

Is each room going to have different wall textures?
    Yes

Thanks to both of you for shedding some light on my doubts!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Designing a modular kit means more time up front for planning, but saves you time down the road for revisions and sets you up for scalability.

If those were not concerns, it would be a waste of time then to spend that extra time planning out a modular kit.