Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A little advice for an issue I'm having with shapes in my model :(

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi! I'm currently working on a sculpt and I'm struggling with a bit of a geometry issue, may also be to do with the subdivisions.
Essentially, these cavities have some jaggedy geometry when they're in a higher subdivision. I can see that in a lower subdivision you can clearly see why these jaggedy lines come through in a higher division level. I'd like to know if anyone knows a way to fix this underlying geometry? The models already been Zremeshed and subdivided, but then cavities were made after this.

Thanks!

Replies

• BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Hi @Bobby_the_Goblin !

This is just some basic topology issue , I would export it to Maya and do a clean retopology , and then export it back to Zbrush to do the details .
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Personally, I handle areas like this by dynameshing it at a very slightly higher resolution so the geo is more evenly distributed, then re-sculpting just a bit to fix lumpy areas. At first, you can't just make the shapes at a low resolution with whatever geometry then sub divide x3 and expect it to look okay-- part of sculpting in zbrush is that you have to slowly work up and that often means sacrificing a little detail at first for something that'll divide/dynamesh/zremesh better. One division, fix issues like lumpiness, build up sculpt, one division more, fix, build up sculpt, repeat until it looks good. You learn to avoid issues like this but right now you seem to be going from 0~90 too quickly and thats causing the issue.

Another method might be making each of these protrusions separately with a curve brush and then dynameshing them together at the end which will help make it clean more naturally.

That said, depending on if this is attached to something larger, and how good you are at modeling, yeah. BohSheh's right; straight up retopoing this cleanly in a different program may be much faster than mucking around sculpting something like this area.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Given how those are seaprated strands, just make them all separate subtools to keep it clean.
  • Bobby_the_Goblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thanks everyone, really helpful advice :)