Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anakin Skywalker - Real Time Progress

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
annaberu polycounter lvl 4
HELOOO GUYS, I have started a new character, my fav from star wars: ANAKIN SKYWALKER.
So You should expect constant updates on this project as I am working on this pretty much everyday ;)

ALSO, I'll be sharing some tips from what I learn through this project :D, so stay tuned!

So this is just a recent update I did on the character, After working in MArvleous, I fixed the clothing in Zbrush to add more weight to it! 
Still missing some parts to the outfit, but I am pretty much done with the overall look!

I should update the head very soon, no worries if it looks bad right now haha

You can follow my progress on Instagram:  @annaberu.chan or https://www.instagram.com/annaberu.chan/?hl=en

Replies

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    July 12 2020
    Update on the details of the clothing, and made the hair quickly (Will definitely be deleted shortly after, they were just there to help visualize)
    I think I'm going to switch back to the first version of pants I made. I prefer them tighter. 

I used HPolish a lot and DamStandard to do the 2 pieces of leather fabric on top. I wanted to have harsh edges to communicate that the fabric is not flexible.

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey hes looking pretty cool! Heres some pointers
    In order to sell your leather as large weighty pieces of clothing you should keep large flat areas with some choice folds where its going to other areas.
    With the face i think you are exageratting his frown a bit too much, even when hes really mad the recesses in his forhead are not that pronnounced, plus there are a few more shapes in there

Anatomy for sculptors has a great breakdown of what smaller muscles are activated
    httpscdnshopifycomsfiles1001375961200filesHuman-Anger-Brows-Anatomy-And-Psychology-For-Artists_3131ee03-8066-409d-bb69-560fb9c9402bjpgv1577979429

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot @Pav3d !!
    Really appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely work on those issues! With just your paint over I could really tell the difference it would make to change the leather parts :)

(Also really grateful to have some tips from a pro like you! I recognized your Samurai piece on ArtStation which is really stunning, this time tho I didn't forget to follow haha) 

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    So it has been a while since my last update, I really tried working on the likeness, and I think that at this point I need help haha. 
    Reminder: This is Hayden Christensen As Anakin Skywalker. 
    I left some of my references for the face too 
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey I think you may need to organise your references a bit. Have a small set of neutral (or as close as you can) Hayden images and then work in the expression in after you get the likeness down, heres an example using the reference you posted.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
    I think you are going down the right path but there is something off about his face. At least it feels off to me and I think its the eyes. They feel like to far apart almost like he is becoming a fish man. Ide look at the first neutral face in @Pav3d 's breakdown nad line up your model over that and make sure it lines up. Try to get your camera lens to match that reference as well since it could be that your camera is fish eyeing your face a bit. 

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx a lot @Pav3d and @Joseph_Bramlett for the  feedback! I'll do as you suggested and work on the neutral before attacking the angry face! Yeah the eyes  are looking off, strange thing is I think I dont know how to superpose my references with my 3D model because when I do they match. I must be doing something wrong, any idea/trick?
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure this is going to be very helpful but this is kind of what im seeing. In my overlap at the bottom you can tell that things just dont quite land where they are supposed to. Now this could be a camera thing like i said earlier. The photo of the actor is likely flattening out his face a bit and yours is thinning it so i would look at messing with your camera lens first as that will give you a better idea how they compare. But beyond that it really would be breaking down the head into big shapes first and making sure all the major bony land marks line up. 

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, thank you so sooo much for the feedback, I think I have the likeness figured out! :D 
    Only thing I am wondering now is: Should I make him angry looking or not... Cause that would mean more work lol, I quite honestly I'm scared of ruining his looks. Any tips on that? ARIGATO AGAIN :p
  • Oaken
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaken polycounter lvl 10
    Hello, looking great so far, can't wait to see it done! I think the features of the face are a tad too big like the nose/mouth and the eyes are a bit far apart also the overall shape of the head feels oval. I think the eyebrows are very important in the face and having some kind of placeholder like some polypaint can really help you. Are the screenshots in perspective? I made a paintover, I hope it helps.

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Oaken, thx a lot for the feedback! Indeed the shape of his skull was questionable, so I fixed it! :) 
    I'm not sure about the new distance you gave to the face though! (I could be wrong of course)
    I have made a draw over of the actor's picture on my sculpt and the features seem to match each other. 
    Maybe not right on, but I am still working a lot with the symmetry on.  
    I also made sure the face is respecting the proportions (1/3 forehead/eyebrow/nose/chin) eye distance, etc.
    Anyways let me know if there is anything else, maybe I am in the wrong here!

** Oh and I am working with perspective activated angle of view 35

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized that I never posted more than one view of the face so here you go!
    I tried to make some shape more apparent this time around, for instance, the temporalis
    (Also the previous gif I posted is way too fast, sorry about that :,)

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey Annabelle,

@Oaken s paintover has helped you but ive done a paintover of your latest work:

Firstly your eyes feel as though they are pointing outward, either shift them in or reposition the iris so its facing forward. Also remove the coloured eyes for now as they are going to be very distracting when sculpting (you could always keep a coloured version of them for presentation)
    Other things that may be distracting you are a lack of more defined eyebrows and no rough hair mesh, he will always look off unless you have those in place and it will make things a lot easier. Having some temporary eyelashes (like a flattened sphere or something basic that doesnt obscure the eyelid too much) will also help.

• Dark blue - his temporal ridge is more defined around the eye socket then gradually fades out as it goes further back toward the top of his head
    • Pink - he has a larger zygomatic bone that rounds off and makes his face a bit wider
    • Red - he has a slightly more defined rounded mouth muzzle
    • Cyan - Your nose wings end a bit prematurely, they infact wrap round up into his nose, they are also more rounded and have more form to them.
    • Yellow - your version of his lips is missing a bit more cupids-bow-ness to them, his is very slight, but its there, ive exageratted it a bit in the paint over.
    • Dark blue - ive sqaure out and pulled out his jaw a bit, he has a more defined masseter and square off chin
    • Green - Ive noticed on your characters in general you have very thin upper and lower eyelids, particularly around the outer corners. eyelids have deceptively more thickness than you think, especially on the top. Experiment by pulling them out more or by pushing the eye in more, push it until it looks ridiculous then pull it back (when painting i always make things too desaturated, so i whack the saturation way up and then pull it back gradually, and i always notice how grey my paintings are :P )
    • Greenish blue (around the eye bag) - his eye bag has a bit more puffiness or roundness nearer the inner corner of his eye then fades out and blends with his eye socket.
    • Finally his supercialiary arches are more boxy and taller
    Hope it helps!
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    @pav3 awesome! Really appreciate the amount of description for each part of the face! I'll make sure to follow each one thoroughly. And hopefully *Cross fingers* next time I post will be closer to the finish result :)
    And thanks again @Oaken
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on that likeness, thanks to your amazing feedback I feel like its getting close to what I am looking for! :D 
    Now I really need to be careful about what I choose to move around or modify 
     I think his jaw is a bit to square but we will have to see
    Again, looking forward to your feedback ;P

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's progress.. I figured that the eyes are probably what is to work on the most. Probably the most difficult part of it all
    I gave more headshot than usual, so if you see anything wrong, you are welcomed to let me know :)

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this most recent post is pretty close. I feel if you had shown this to me without any context I would recognize who this was, which wasn't the case for your previous iterations. This guy has kind of a plain face and isn't in the mainstream much any more so for his likeness to come across so strongly now I think can speak to how close it is. Their might be something off but i cant see it yet. 
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joseph_Bramlett I appreciate it sooo much, I dont think you know how much haha

I think that previously I was so used to seeing his face, that my brain was convincing me it looked good, 
    and so I fixed that issue by turning my sculpt upside down... strange but it worked :) 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    @annaberu
    No problem. Its easy to get tunnel vision on projects. It happens to all of us I think. The turning it upside method is interesting. kind of like went digital painting its recommended to flip your canvas to make sure your figure isnt leaning to far one way and the like. I think it would also abstract the image down to shapes which might be easier to replicate. I might have to try that with my sculpts in the future. I look forward to seeing Annie all finished!
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    With the eyelashes in place, and the hair looking a tad more natural. I think I am getting closer and closer to what I am seeking for
    One view is bothering me tho (The third image below) I don't know why it doesn't look right to me. (might be just me!)
    If you have any ideas on why that is, plz don't hesitate to let me know :) 
  • JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    hmm yeah I think the back of the neck is what is off about the third image, he´s got a tiny bit of a hump going on. I think his shoulder muscles probably aren´t that buff
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Woop Woop, whaaaat after 1 month a new update?? 
    Entire body in the work
    You can follow any update on my insta: https://www.instagram.com/annaberu.chan/?hl=en

• Next
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, really feeling the likeness in this one :) ! I have not read the whole thread, but depending where you want to go with this(i assume just like your other characters you will rig it up at some point), it might be worth a try, to make the A-pose firmer and angle the arms a bit more so you can make a more attractive folding on the left arm and have the silhouette pop more in a relaxed pose later on.

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    It's getting soooo good good job!!! The likeness is already pretty impressive really but i feel like the last part that oculd benefit a little bit more work would be the lips that seems a bit thicker than Hayden Christensen (to be honnest it's more visible on the previous post so you might alrady have reworked that part :p )
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Next and @Olingova !! Really appreciate the positive feedback!

To answer your comments, yes I am thinking of rigging the character, and so yes I am probably going to have to work on the left arm so that the folds can be more interesting. :)

I'll have to check for the lips, but thanks for sharing ... maybe I just like juicy lips hehe

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the sculpt of my upcoming character to be rendered
    Anakin Skywalker!

Still got to figure out with what I will render this guy, marmoset, unreal or Arnold..
    You can find more shots here
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finally found time to complete my low resolution and the Uvs for Ani
    Now its time for baaaakiiiiing babyyy

I post updates more often on my insta: https://www.instagram.com/annaberu.chan/?hl=en
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the baking T^T 
    took forever, but it’s dooone! And a first pass of colour ;3

• annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair done!!! 
    Now I just need to rig the character, and make the lightsaber
     Anakin’s real time hair - rendered in MT3
    this is for my upcoming character (Anakin), hopefully I will finish it for next week :)
    you can follow its development on my social

• ggrazziano
    Offline / Send Message
    ggrazziano polycounter lvl 3
    It's amazing to see the giant evolution of the project along the time :o
  • ElyesBens
    Offline / Send Message
    ElyesBens polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking really good , can't wait to see the fully textured model :D 
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message

Here it is Anakin Skywalker

Rendered in real time in marmoset toolbag 3. 

I really hope you enjoy it as I have spent a lot of time on this. 

I'm probably gonna make tutorials on YouTube on a few things from this project, You can follow me on Instagram if you want to get notify

Instagram: ᴀɴɴᴀʙᴇʟʟᴇ Sémaan 3D | Zbrush (@annaberu.chan ...https://www.instagram.com › annaberu

For more shots: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAYdeq
  • ElyesBens
    Offline / Send Message
    ElyesBens polycounter lvl 5
    My goodness !! That facial expression is extremely good !! congrats this is really awesome both technically and aesthetically ! 
    Well done ! *clap clap clap 
  • annaberu
    Offline / Send Message
    @ElyesBens
     thank you so much!! Really appreciate  it, and glad you like it :)