Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junior 3D character artist portfolio C&C help!!!!

Kyuby
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kyuby polycounter lvl 5
Hello guys, I've been trying to find a job as a 3D character artist in the industry, mainly in junior positions because I just finished college and have no experience. Any advice of where to start, or any help or constructive critics about my work  would be really helpful, so Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You've done lot of work so dont be lazy and finish what you have stared Your images looks like you just hit render button and post what you got .You need some photoshop magic aka post process [levels curves color correction and so] Fix that make your art as good as you can and ask your questions again
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Nice work so far :)
    My favourite is the bluish lady , she has a great colour palette.
    The wireframe images are great to show details, good job.

The noble dwarf has good shapes and details but here I'm missing a pose or at least an interesting beauty shot. Furthermore reduce your amount of detail images. 5- Max 10 images are fine and enough. Also you don't have to show every texture set, just use one or two sets as an example to show how you handle UVs in terms of efficiency and organisation. 

Oh and write a different About text, Because sure you want to show your passion but aspiring artist is a useless term. It will point more on your missing experience than your current skills. 

Hope that helps, keep up your work and good luck !!!!! :)
  • theycallmedualian
    Sorry to borrow this thread, but Is it possible to get hired as a character modeler if I can only sculpt people in a neutral expression on an a-pose or t-pose?

Do I need to create expressions too? 

Is knowing texturing a must?

do I have to have knowledge in unreal engine too? 

Thx 
  • Kyuby
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuby polycounter lvl 5
    You've done lot of work so dont be lazy and finish what you have stared Your images looks like you just hit render button and post what you got .You need some photoshop magic aka post process [levels curves color correction and so] Fix that make your art as good as you can and ask your questions again

I agree 100% with you and it is true i always avoid retouching the renders in photoshop  because i don't am afraid it might give the idea that i am trying to hide something, and in the end i always end up with the feeling that something is missing, but i will do it from now on and make them look as good as it can, i know it's weird but when it comes from other artists things kind of click :)
  • Kyuby
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuby polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work so far :)
    My favourite is the bluish lady , she has a great colour palette.
    The wireframe images are great to show details, good job.

The noble dwarf has good shapes and details but here I'm missing a pose or at least an interesting beauty shot. Furthermore reduce your amount of detail images. 5- Max 10 images are fine and enough. Also you don't have to show every texture set, just use one or two sets as an example to show how you handle UVs in terms of efficiency and organisation. 

Oh and write a different About text, Because sure you want to show your passion but aspiring artist is a useless term. It will point more on your missing experience than your current skills. 

Hope that helps, keep up your work and good luck !!!!! :)

i actually thought it was a lot of detail images too, but i wanted to make sure that the overall was seen, although i know i might bore the recruiter before it gets to the more technical part, i also agree that maybe i should start focusing more on my strengths and qualities instead of low balling it. the pose part is the hardest because my rigging is a bit basic, but i think you are right, i am lacking good poses, maybe i should put some effort into rigging or collab with someone :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Sorry to borrow this thread, but Is it possible to get hired as a character modeler if I can only sculpt people in a neutral expression on an a-pose or t-pose?

Thx 
    1) Yes
    2) Maybe
    3) Yes
    4) If you want jobs working in Unreal engine

• theycallmedualian

Thx 
    1) Yes
    2) Maybe
    3) Yes
    4) If you want jobs working in Unreal engine

THANKS! 
  • hreazee
    Offline / Send Message
    hreazee polycounter lvl 8
    At the moment your portfolio demonstrates that you can follow concepts and capable of making stylised characters.
    Since you want to go for character art role, you would need to demonstrate that you understand human anatomy. most of your current pieces in there is fully clothed so maybe add a couple of pieces in there that might help with that.
    Although its not 100% that people get hired because of perfect anatomy but it will help to tell your viewers that you 'can' since understanding human anatomy (although basic) has an important role in being a character artist.

I would say: Do not use Photoshop or anything to enhance or edit rendered images. your textures, lighting, composition should do all the work. if there is a problem in the model, you fix the model, not the rendered image.

• Kyuby
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuby polycounter lvl 5
    hreazee said:
    At the moment your portfolio demonstrates that you can follow concepts and capable of making stylised characters.
    Since you want to go for character art role, you would need to demonstrate that you understand human anatomy. most of your current pieces in there is fully clothed so maybe add a couple of pieces in there that might help with that.
    Although its not 100% that people get hired because of perfect anatomy but it will help to tell your viewers that you 'can' since understanding human anatomy (although basic) has an important role in being a character artist.

I would say: Do not use Photoshop or anything to enhance or edit rendered images. your textures, lighting, composition should do all the work. if there is a problem in the model, you fix the model, not the rendered image.

that might help, I have plenty basemeshes done demonstrating that, maybe i should do an artstation post showing them off? I cleared my artstation just to have full projects there, maybe it was a mistake. You Think these ones will do? they are a bit old, although they were made from scratch for each project.

• hreazee
    Offline / Send Message
    hreazee polycounter lvl 8
    Well it all depends on you. I have a portfolio website that showcase stuff that isnt in my Artstation. but it doesnt hurt to have 2 or more different places to showcase your artworks/ tailor made to give what the employers are looking for. 

But yeah, I would say you your middle guy (the tallest one) is the strongest out of the three so maybe have a page of just him back, front and sides. you would need a better render than that though. if you have this in zbrush maybe you can export out some nice render passes, and shadows to show case those nice muscle groups.
    theres a few tutorials on youtube on how you can use zbrush to render and photoshop to composite or in other words 'put-together'.
    An example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5Ucox1jLs

or maybe start a new character that is not entirely covered with something so maybe the a an post apocalyptic survivor with a torn shirt or sleeveless or something... i trust your creative enough to think of something ;)
  • Kyuby
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuby polycounter lvl 5
    hreazee said:
    Well it all depends on you. I have a portfolio website that showcase stuff that isnt in my Artstation. but it doesnt hurt to have 2 or more different places to showcase your artworks/ tailor made to give what the employers are looking for. 

But yeah, I would say you your middle guy (the tallest one) is the strongest out of the three so maybe have a page of just him back, front and sides. you would need a better render than that though. if you have this in zbrush maybe you can export out some nice render passes, and shadows to show case those nice muscle groups.
    theres a few tutorials on youtube on how you can use zbrush to render and photoshop to composite or in other words 'put-together'.
    An example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5Ucox1jLs

or maybe start a new character that is not entirely covered with something so maybe the a an post apocalyptic survivor with a torn shirt or sleeveless or something... i trust your creative enough to think of something ;)

Thank you for the help, that's actually helpful, and yeah this renders aren't good i'll take care of making some better, but for now they will have to do, but it's good to have a different prespective, i really needed some feedback, and yeah i'm working on a new character, although it's cyber punk he only has a jacket on, i'll link it here when i'm done to show you if you want :)