Home Technical Talk

Blender. Lack of smooth groups + simple model = pain

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlexandrL polycounter lvl 6
Hello guys :)

So. Dead simple model. We need a illusion of smooth radius chamfer (fillet) shading on the edges by modyfy vertex normals.
In 3dsMax its easilly achieve by spreading smooth groups as i shown on picture. I.e. top polygon are simultaneous have 1 and 2 smooth group, and oposite side polygons have only one smooth groups 1 or 2.
After that we drop a EditNormals modifier on top, select top polygon and click "Selected" on Avarage section of the modifier for correct vertex normals. 

In blender we doesnt have smooth groups and out shading will become wierd.

Is there any way to achieve same results in blender? Making sides edges as Sharp - doesn change anything.

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    In blender you have to use "Mark Sharp" to control the smoothing group, you also have to select edges instead of faces. I had to add a Weighted Normal modifier to achieve this result, notice that keep sharp is checked on the modifier. 
  • AlexandrL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I asked myself - I answered myself  =)

1. Creating geometry and mark sides edges as Sharp.

2. Select top polygon. Mesh > Normals > Average > Face area

Done :3
  • AlexandrL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:
    In blender you have to use "Mark Sharp" to control the smoothing group, you also have to select edges instead of faces. I had to add a Weighted Normal modifier to achieve this result, notice that keep sharp is checked on the modifier. 
    Yeap. Thanks it works :) Looks like we have at least 2 method to approach desired results.