Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Acrylic painting

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
Been getting into acrylic painting lately. Not very good at the moment. I've been doing some lessons with my mom, Sherry Fraser, who is a talented painter. If anybody here has tips on improving my painting, please lay it on me!!

I've been painting for a few weeks now, so I'll upload them in order.

First one was inspired by the forest fires which are getting more and more prominent.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some creepy ass face in a dark room.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the tree, trying to be simple and more painterly. Could have done a lot more detail in the grass. Also I need to start being careful with my brush strokes. You can see some obvious outlining strokes in the sky around the tree.

My fav so far. Had a blast.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Good for you, looks like you're having a blast there, keep 'em coming :)

Also I'd suggest trying your hand at still life, as well. A piece of fruit for example? I recall my high school art teacher had taught way back when learning the basic 'mechanics' of how too paint traditionally and for me it's still amazing to think how a seemingly mundane object can be so helpful instilling the fundamentals. Anyways, when time allows scrub through a couple vids I found that resemble those art lessons from long ago.

https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXaMVvT9NmY - How to: Still Life for Beginners | Painting with mako
    https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWQ1S1YwkI0 - Beginners Acrylic Still Life Painting Techniques - Part 1
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi Thanks man. I'll do some still life for my next paintings! I was close to taking some in-person classes on painting flowers with acrylic, but then covid hit.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some still life!!!

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    This is looking good, you got a nice grasp on color and brushwork already! The way you rendered the shadows in your still life is very pleasing to the eye, and the cool thing is that you got the right tools to push your volume rendering even further: 3D knowledge.

Brushstrokes often basically describe plane changes. I don't know how deliberately you're doing this already, but to represent volume try to see the edge loops in the objects you're depicting and make your brushstrokes generally follow them, favoring loops most closely mimicking the silhouettes. You should be able to blend the paint to soften the brushwork when some area looks too busy, but if this really a concern you can use underpaitings and thumbnails to plan the brushwork as well.

And to reduce the breakage that happens when switching to a different hue or value on a single surface train your eyes to see subtler value and hue transitions. It's very hard to do but highly rewarding, because once in full control of those you can use them to connect areas of higher contrast in a way they don't accidentally read as separate shapes, working in a sort of 2-layer system (not actual paint layers, but a way of seeing things): the first layer is made of those subtle transitions, like if it were a fully diffuse material lit by area lights describing the object shape, volume and surface texture; the higher contrast second layer is the albedo coloring and the full effect of the scene lighting on the actual material, with all highlights and shadows taken into account.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @birb thanks for the tips, will follow!!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Oh cool I had missed that thread, I shall follow
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a ship on stormy waters. I think I like painting stormy water, it's super fun. I might actually try redoing this one, but plan it out better, and really take my time with the strokes.

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nice, sounds good I'll keep an eye out :)