Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

IS-7 tank. I need an assessment!)

helsenmet
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
helsenmet polycounter lvl 2
Heavy tank of the USSR IS-7. 3 texture 4K sets.

Middle-poly (all but the tracks and partially the wheels are low-poly).

The model is created in Blender 2.82, textures are created in Substance Painter, render and bake with high-poly in Marmoset, partially I post-processing in Photoshop.

And here is a small circle around the tank (10 seconds of video):
https://youtu.be/xNoAT95-fbY

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I'm not familiar with the actual tank so i wont go into acurracy.
    But, there are large pieces of your model that could not have been manufactured in one continuous piece, such as the hull or the turret "casing" or whatever its called. The reason why i bring this up is that your material is pretty uniform. Normally you would see some welding lines that form a bump in the paint, so the large pieces of metal would be divided in tiles. Given that the metal tiles wouldnt be exactly the same (probably manufactured in various locations) there would be slight mismatch in the color of those tiles, because paint transfers some properties of the underlying material. Again, maybe i am wrong and the pieces were cast into one piece, but i doubt it.
    Another thing is the lack of "grounding" features in the material. Stuff like rust in the crevices, leakage under the turret, circular scratches on the hull from the turret, etc.
    There are a lot of sharp concave transitions that look unnatural to me. In those instances it looks like 2 meshes are placed next to eachother or intersecting but with no "real" transition.
    Edit: the uvs can be overlapped a bit more i think, especially on the wheels and tracks.
  • helsenmet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    I'm not familiar with the actual tank so i wont go into acurracy.
    But, there are large pieces of your model that could not have been manufactured in one continuous piece, such as the hull or the turret "casing" or whatever its called. The reason why i bring this up is that your material is pretty uniform. Normally you would see some welding lines that form a bump in the paint, so the large pieces of metal would be divided in tiles. Given that the metal tiles wouldnt be exactly the same (probably manufactured in various locations) there would be slight mismatch in the color of those tiles, because paint transfers some properties of the underlying material. Again, maybe i am wrong and the pieces were cast into one piece, but i doubt it.
    Another thing is the lack of "grounding" features in the material. Stuff like rust in the crevices, leakage under the turret, circular scratches on the hull from the turret, etc.
    There are a lot of sharp concave transitions that look unnatural to me. In those instances it looks like 2 meshes are placed next to eachother or intersecting but with no "real" transition.
    Edit: the uvs can be overlapped a bit more i think, especially on the wheels and tracks.
    Thank you for such a detailed answer!)
  • Robert Berrier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Berrier polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good. What would really bump up the piece is if you improve the presentation. Perhaps a small forest floor with some foliage like low bushes, grass and maybe a medium height tree.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    A really nice job however what caught my eye, aside from the low poly running gear was the main armament mantel. I'm not sure whether this is a personal design choice? I'm only curious because from research there seems to be a protective (debris) canvas shroud between the turret trunnion mount and mantlet covering a void which enables the gun to both elevate and depress. 

• helsenmet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. What would really bump up the piece is if you improve the presentation. Perhaps a small forest floor with some foliage like low bushes, grass and maybe a medium height tree.
    I think You're right! Thank you, I'll try to improve my serve)