Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Ryan Reynolds Likeness

Cysco90
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cysco90 polycounter lvl 3
Hello guys!

This is a WIP of a likeness sculpt. The subject is Ryan Reynolds.
I am currently working on the base shapes after breaking the symmetry. For now I'm focusing on nailing the correct proportions and positions of the features. The final aim is to make a very realistic portrait.

Feedback is very welcome.

Replies

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update:

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    you´ll have to excuse my ugly ass paint over :P but hopefully it gets the point across. i feel like the head is a little too wide and slightly too long. I also think the back of the skull is too big and the side view of the jaw seems like it could move forward a bit as well. I think dropping down a couple of subdivision levels and reworking the big shapes would be the way to go. 
    The neck looks a little strange from the side view as well. Good luck :)

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Johannes!
    Thank you for your feedback! I agree regarding the neck. Regarding the size of the head, I used these references:

The main ref I'm using is the last one, though, there is still plenty to do

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked proportions following a front and a side view. There is still a discrepancy between the "front" and side position of the ear, but I will probably stick with the "front" reference for that.

• BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Reference photo can varies in terms on focal length , age , light etc . Its best when you can gather references of the same type , but guess life arent that easy after all . 
  • Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been adjusting and tweaking the primary shapes and been working on a higher S-Div level in order to make the secondary shapes. Many things were off in the previous WIP and probably there still are, but I hope that it looks a bit better than before.
    I guess it's feedback-time now, before I bring this likeness sculpt into the next phases:).

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I have been tweaking the bone structure in points such as the jawline, chick-bones and forehead/eyebrows. I feel and hope that I have improved it a bit.

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    After lots of adjustments, I believe I can call the shapes and likeness done. Just started doing some detailing:)

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more detail:)

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to re-make the details from scratch.

In the meantime, before re-doing the details, I wanted to try a workflow shared by an amazing artist that uses a combination of 3D Scan and the magic ZWrap tool. You can find full-res images of this "study", a better description and all the credits to the artist and the 3D Scan source at this link:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJJLwR

This one below is instead my version with the re-made details.
     I'm ready to jump into the next phases and to do a version that is totally mine.

• Cysco90
    Offline / Send Message
    So, big update here! :D 
    I retopologized, baked and textured this guy. I must say a big thank you to the amazing knowledge and tools that is possible to find on Texturing XYZ!
    There are still things that I'm not so convinced about, also in terms of likeness, but now it takes some external eyes to judge it better, so I'm looking for some feedback.