Home Career & Education

Trying to learn 3D before 2021 graduation

I just finished my junior year at a liberal arts college while majoring in Art & Film, and I've come to the awful realization that I basically have next to nothing to show for it. Although my school's name definitely has clout, I've also realized that in the art world -- and specifically the animation/gaming world where I want to eventually work -- the degree matters less than a solid portfolio, which I clearly don't have.

I have only one year of school left before I need to start the job search, and I realized that this summer (which is free thanks to my inability to get an internship) plus my last year of formal schooling probably isn't enough time to self-teach 3D and build a hirable portfolio. My university doesn't offer any 3D art classes, so I'd have to teach myself everything on my own time. And I've realized that even if I work hard this coming year, even if I do everything right and read the wiki and do tutorials and make my own stuff, it's extremely unlikely I'll be at the level I need to be. I think I'm still going to try to learn as much as I can before I graduate, but I'm worried because I don't really have a plan on how to get a job (ANY job) postgrad while still trying to learn and improve.

I'm at a loss. Should I consider some 3D art programs, like CGMA or Gnomon (despite the cost)? Should I just self-teach and try to live at home postgrad while looking for jobs (despite my parents' anger)? I'm in a weird limbo where I've got the advantage of being young (21) and having an art degree, but the major disadvantage of having basically no marketable skills and no relevant portfolio. Any advice, second opinions, or harsh reality checks are welcome; I think I need someone to slap me upside the head and tell me what to do.

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    If you're still living at home, do you contribute in terms of day too day household costs? partime/casual paid work?
    No need to burden yourself with further onerous debt, learning this stuff. Check out the wiki, game resource sticky at the top of this board or Gumroad, Udemy and Cubebrush tutorial libraries.

hua1998 said:
    I just finished my junior year at a liberal arts college while majoring in Art & Film, and I've come to the awful realization that I basically have next to nothing to show for it. Although my school's name definitely has clout, I've also realized that in the art world -- and specifically the animation/gaming world where I want to eventually work...

edit:
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    All you can do is your best. If it's not enough with the time you have, then go work construction or retail or w/e you can find.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Harsh reality, doubt your school carries clout. You having an art degree but no skills or portfolio means you have nothing. If you bust ass for that year you can build a decent portfolio at least 4, 3-month projects can be there and really bust ass, meaning probably letting your grades go to a C because university art assignments aren't conducive to learning game art unfortunately.

Look into construction work like Alex said or in my experience bartending any job that is going to give you a decent wage and allow you time to work on your portfolio when you come home.

If you have 3 years of college and you've not built a portfolio or learned what you need to why do you believe that the last year will be any different?
  • hua1998
    Thanks for the reality checks and recommendations, guys. This thread reinforced what I was reluctant to admit, which is that I wasted my time and have nothing to show for it, besides a few bad 2D shorts. I guess it's time for me to start grinding, and post-grad I'll need to figure out a day job while working on my portfolio.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    To optimize your learning experience you should ask yourself what do you enjoy the most in 3D art and focus on that.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    ^This, do some small experiments on various areas that you may enjoy. Find the one you LIKE the one that you can say hey I worked a lot of hours and I don't hate this. I can geek about this if someone asked me a question about it. The whole pipeline of development includes dozens of different positions and variations of those positions.