Home Technical Talk

VR moddeling props / polycount?

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hello all,

I've been working on Engine for end goal VR.  I feel that I might have kept the cylinders to low poly. As Its also one main props.
I also want to do some closeups shot of the prop.

16, 24,32 sides and 32 with quad remeshed versiom.

What for subdivision should I consider?  I also read that bevel/chamfer edges is good for VR and quads topology.

If anybody has some info on this I would be greatfull. Thanks in advanced.

decor

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Really depends just how close up you're going to get to the mesh. For hero props that the player can pick up or walk rite up to go with a higher density. 32 (though even that might be overkill, you really need to test in engine in VR) looks about rite if that were say a gun barrel, 32 quads is wasteful, put that nice shading into a normal map
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF said:
    Really depends just how close up you're going to get to the mesh. For hero props that the player can pick up or walk rite up to go with a higher density. 32 (though even that might be overkill, you really need to test in engine in VR) looks about rite if that were say a gun barrel, 32 quads is wasteful, put that nice shading into a normal map
    Thanks Mike...for the info. the 32 cylinder with quads would need to be cleaned up with less edge loops... it more that VR handels quads better then triangels.. Have you got info on this?  and normal map in VR I read it doesn't work well. and you are better of using bevel /chamfer. 
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Everything will be triangulated in engine so quads shouldn't matter in the end. 
    This is just from experience, you need to really test in engine as soon as possible when starting your asset production, only then will you see what needs more or less geo. 
    Normal maps work just fine but you dont want to use them for large surface detail. A bad example of normal maps in VR would be a wall of pipes, you could get away with this in 2d, but in stereo you'l instantly see the lack of depth so save it for your surface detailing and use geo for the rest.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    BS. Normal maps works just fine unless you are normal mapping large details. The only difference is that you can inspect things from closer. 
    About the segmentation: do tests IN VR and see how much you need for what size for smooth silhouette.
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    18-24 and upwards at around 1-2M view distance (player perspective) if you want to really dont show faceted geo. As an example you can view my model below.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/pico-vr-headset-7e423a5949c341aeb19db6a0cf0c3953

• decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    BS. Normal maps works just fine unless you are normal mapping large details. The only difference is that you can inspect things from closer. 
    About the segmentation: do tests IN VR and see how much you need for what size for smooth silhouette.
    Thanks Obscura & Hawk12HT  for the info. Unfortunate I can't test in VR, but if it looks good ue4 in engine then it should be ok. The mesh is not super detailed, but I thought I might have kept certain parts to low poly. I might post pic next week or so, just to play safe before doing my unwrap :-)

Also thanks for the info on the Normal maps. Do you perhaps know if there are any VR materials I have been looking arround but I couldn't find much info on this.  Then not having many instuctions and keeping them simple.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    if you cant test in VR then you're going to be doing a lot of revisions.
    what do you mean vr materials? like tutorials?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    "not having many instuctions and keeping them simple."

Based on this sentence, I guess he literally means materials. 

Pixel shader performance depends on the render resolution, and vr has bigger resolution relative to a standard monitor, so yeah keeping them simple is a good idea.