Home Technical Talk

Hard surface egde flow

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ryandec polycounter lvl 8
I'm trying to understand how to correctly subdivide and keep topology consistent for creating hard surface models, iv'e tried to find some infomation but i cant seem to get what i need, maybe i havn't looked hard enough but i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Here is the model im working on, it's just a simple cogwheel that i'd light to get tight bevels on and the general smooth hard looking surface.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Working with hard surfaces we need to add more geo, specially with curved shapes. If you work with a very low poly model you always will get artifacts and your mesh won't look well. Use a tube/cylinder with more sides and don't worry about its density (32-64 or 48-96 depending or your design, even dents, non even dents). 

Don't forget to use a radial symmetry if you can, you won't need to work on too many bevels/hard borders. Just a single part.
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryandec polycounter lvl 8

got the hang of it a bit more, substance render is nice. some janky bits around the egdes and still need to learn the egde flow, i look into symterry stuff in maya i was unaware of, so thank you!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    No problem, you are welcome.

It's looking good, keep it up!