Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sea Of Theives Fan Art - Pirate Lord's Staff

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Glynnybob polycounter lvl 7
Sup folks,

I've recently been playing a lot of Sea Of Thieves and couldn't resist attempting some fan art!

Currently working on the Pirate Lord's staff trying to incorporate some style found throughout the game with its characters and props.

Currently having some trouble deciding on what to do with the shaft, do I try a stylised wood with grain or leave it blocky and a little closer to the original prop?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards y'all!

Replies

• Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Quick Update!

Took a quick break from sculpting to gather some better references and get some feedback, I really want to push and push and see how far I can go with this prop. While gathering the new stuff together I decided to challenge myself to create something I've never properly used that can go with the prop, for this I created a material entirely in substance designer, no sculpting, no modelling just pure substance designer.

For someone who pretty much has only really played with the software, this challenge has been a learning experience.

So here's my Sea of Thieves coin pile material

Making the skull took the most effort by the sheer amount of shapes and blends

More updates as I get back to sculpting,

Cheers
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That coin material is cool!
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

I've never done so much trial and error in my life with this material.
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Trim Dynamic, How I Love Thee!

Updating the Skull

So with some more references and a bit of feedback here and there I jumped back into sculpting and thanks to some amazing references I found from concept artists and character artists who worked on Sea of Thieves I could instantly tell what this skull was missing......
    ...Sharp Angles!

New!                                                                                                               Old!

Overall I'm way happier with the new skull especially when compared to the old, still got work to do but I'm feeling good about this.

Quick Question

I like the gold around and in the eye sockets but is it too much? Or would it be better if I approached it in a different way? Any ideas or critique is always welcome.

I'll be back!

Cheers
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small Progress

So did some more work on the skull and remade the staff thingy.

I decided to try and aim to make the gold, resemble the gold hoarder curse. 

As always, any feedback is welcome!

Toodles
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Testing the Stick!

Just a quick test for how the staff is looking with some basic map bakes (Normal, AO, Curvature)

I can see a lot of issues just beneath the middle of the staff, so some TLC is needed there but overall it's not as bad as I thought

Any texture artists wanna give me some advice for stylised wood I will love you forever!

Toodles
  • Infernal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Infernal polycounter lvl 8
    In which program you wanna texture the asset?
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Infernal I use substance painter for all my texturing
  • Infernal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Infernal polycounter lvl 8
    @Glynnybob there are a lot of different smart materials on substance share, i would download some of them and see how they build up their layers. if you think about this wooden staff as a piece cut out of a branch or something like that, dont just use cavity and curvate maps for texturing. you need fibres going all the way through the piece.
  • Glynnybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Infernal I never thought about that, thank you!