Home Technical Talk

Blender - How to use the Bezier Curve to draw cube lines

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Method14253 polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,

In Blender, how can you change the draw pattern of the bezier curve from circular to rectangular or cube.
Essentially trying to get the same effect you get in 3d Coat's "2D Paint" function to quickly sculpt out rickety wood bridges and structures.

Below image of how I am currently able to draw geometry using the bezier Curve showing it's circular form, as opposed to a rectangular form I am looking to achieve.

What I want to achieve (screen cap from 3D Coat) in Blender: below

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    You can use any shape as a profile for your curves:

Couldn't find a screenshot from 2.8 quickly but you'll find it in the same place in there. These bevel objects can only be assigned to entire curve objects, not individual curves within an object.

• Method14253
    Offline / Send Message
    the closest menu to "Bevel Object" in 2.8 is simply titled "Object" under the *bevel sub menu* in the *object menu*. Also when I try to use this option a completely blank box (menu) pops up with no description for its function or any way to interact with it. #thatisannoying

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    It's an object picker. Pretty common in Blender.

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp said:
    It's an object picker. Pretty common in Blender.

Jepp and you need to create the object to select it.
  • Method14253
    Offline / Send Message
    **Answer**

Step #1. Create a Bezier Curve and a Bezier Circle.

Step #2. Modify the shape of the Bezier circle to match the shape you want by selecting the circle > press V > Free, to openly modify each handle to create the desired shape. Once completed go back to the Bezier curve > object data Properties > Geometry > Bevel > and now select the Modified Bezier Circle created just now to change the shape.

Note: (make sure to draw in orthographic snapped to an axis for unified drawing on the axis.

Step #3. Convert to mesh from curve in Object menu once finished drawing