Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
b_beauchamp polycounter lvl 2

Hi everyone, I have been self-learning 3D art since July 2019, and I'm looking for some feedback on my current portfolio. My dream is to be an environment artist for a game studio, but I'm ultimately flexible as to where I end up. I am interested in hearing the feedback of anyone who has worked in the 3D industry, from studios to freelance. 

At this point I don’t know where to focus my efforts. I feel pretty confident in the quality of my work, and have felt so for a while, but have so far struck out in all my applications, not even landing a single interview. 

My portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/breannabeauchamp

My questions:

Am I employable with my current skill level?

What do you suggest I continue to work on?

Any tips for applying for work in the 3d industry?

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I can't answer your questions as I'm kinda in the same boat but hey that hasn't stopped me from giving advice before and if I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the super pro dudes who are employed in Ubisoft,ILM & EA at the same time will  be nice enough to correct me.

In order of personal preference,
    Rogue Drone > Arch Viz interior > Phonograph > Swarm Drone > Everything else

Now onto my main criticism.

You're applying for a environment artist position, yet I'd argue that only one of your portfolio pieces comes close to demonstrating your environment art skills(the arch viz interior) because it's the only arguably complete scene in this portfolio. Feels a bit more like a 3d generalist portfolio than an environment artists portfolio.

sorry poly tomato man, you were just the most conveniently available example

@zachagreg 's portfolio has a bunch of environment props, designer textures, and 1 really good fully built game environment in unreal engine 

You've got two pieces that show that you know how to create decent 3d models which may or may not be game ready, it's not very clear, there's no sketchfab viewer, wireframe render, or anything like that to be sure. And one decent arch viz scene, which again, isn't too clear whether it's actually game ready.

None of it is poorly made or anything, it's just not too related to what a game environment artist actually does.

You want to make your employer feel confident that if he tells you to decorate an ingame level or something, you'll be able to do so efficiently, that he wont have to waste too much time trying to train you to use trim sheets or texture atlases or something.

Edit: Oh and, this will probably help too.. The wiki is really good.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I can see areas where you could improve, but I also think you could start applying for work any time. I would drop the dragonfly art from your portfolio, or at least re think the composition of your images, because having it in front of a sun with a bunch of tiny asteroids isn't really working. I think you should figure out what the majority of the studios around you are creating, and start making stuff in their art style. Regarding what you should continue working on, I think you have that down. Just keep making environments.

Good luck!!
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Looks like you have good modeling, lighting and texturing skills. It doesn't look like you have anything game rez / rendered in engine? You should definitely show a project rendered in engine along with some technical breakdowns (wireframes, texture sheets, etc...). I'd remove the dragonfly, ark and alien robot walker since they aren't hitting the same quality as your other work (and are further from environment work in general). The phonograph scene might be a good project to move into a game engine. Good luck!
  • b_beauchamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b_beauchamp polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you all for your helpful critiques! I can see now that my portfolio needs to be updated with game ready assets, environments and proper breakdowns. My plan is to replace everything with at least three good game-ready pieces and then see how the job search goes from there. 
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    The only things that stood out a little is the drone and the table with photographs model but even so, the subject matter doesn't interest me. I feel like the drone one could be composed into something cool, right now I just see a drone with debris bits and that's it, there's no story telling going on, like what is the drone doing? Where is this place? 

Like everyone said, you're currently lacking real time environments rendered in-engine. The reason why we like to see this in potential candidate's portfolio is that it tells us you know the general environment art pipeline and will have a clear understand on getting an environment  from blockout to finished product in the game within a time frame. 

I'd say have at least 1 really strong environment piece, find a good subject matter. The biggest cliche environments I see in Junior portfolios are Last of Us fan art and Bar scenes. Unless you're going to tell your own story with those two subjects, you're better off finding something more compelling. All part of the fun of an environment artist is telling a story. I personally find if you write a short story of your environment (as an example using the drone: What's happening in the background? Is there a war going on? What is this drone's purpose? Is it a medical droid, a kill bot or a scavenger? Is it trying to find it's maker? What is it doing in that present moment?)

2-3 hero props is also ideal , you can probably show off the hero props from your environment piece.

I'd personally not show The Ark and Alien Robot Walker, I think they're the weakest pieces in your portfolio right now that seems to bring overall outlook of your portfolio down. It's important to think about what you want to show and whether something in your portfolio is contrasting in terms of quality to the rest of it. 

Considering you self taught yourself 3D for a year, your modelling skills are quite good for that time frame. 
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'd suggest taking part in the next few environment challenges posted here on Polycount. The subject matter selection is always on point and those in the know (leads like myself) will see your work there, the bonus of having that public record down the line is potential employers can see how you handle feedback, how you stacked up against your peers and even if you fall short on one of them...did you learn from your mistakes and re-apply that knowledge to your next project? When you apply at a studio the less unknown questions you can answer for a potential employer the better. These questions depend heavily on the position, yet most art directors are looking at all of the following. If they can't see these things in your portfolio, they will have doubts. 

• Do you match the current skill level required for the position (meaning...do you match up with the other talent at the studio - jr, mid, Sr...etc, poke around on Art Station and Linked in...figure out the staff that works there, check out their work, try to match it without straight up copy...use as inspiration.)
    • Your price
    • Your style, do you have one? Have you demonstrated it? If someone saw a piece could they match it to you? (Lots of very talented artists out there but a good example of someone would be to look at the work of Tyler Smith at Sucker Punch).
    • Personality, does that show in your work?
    • Some form of individuality yet other examples that show you're still capable of following a distinct visual target.
    • Demonstration of lighting capability
    • Demonstration of strong composition
    • Demonstration of planning
    • Demonstration of materials
    • Demonstration of UV layout and asset breakdown
    • 2-3 landmark/weenie/key assets that provide enough detail/development/style to establish the mood/tone of an environment. (Example...Temple scene - walls, floors, torches, pillars, skull piles, spiky wooden spears...etc. Key asset - amazing tree or statue. Highlight that thing with your lighting and use to tell a story, is it a magical tree? Is it a destroyed statue? What is the significance? Why should the viewer care?)

Good luck.