Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warlock Environment [WiP]

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey! So im working on the FlippedNormal Warlock Environment challenge. And would really love some feedback on the environment as it is right now! Below are some screenshots from Unity. I will also add in a screenshot of my UV's and base mesh from Maya.

The current process I go through with the assets is making a base mesh in Maya, ZBrush for high poly, baked in SP. 

As for texturing I use SP's procedural noise and generators to create a gradient and some base material (for example the wood grain base is made within SP, I then paint over it to highlight specific cracks etc.,)
OR 
For the roof tiles / diorama floor I used SD, instead of importing that in as a sbsar file (seems to mess up my opacity in SP for some reason), I bring it in as separate maps and use a fill layer and paint additional textures on top.

Hope to hear from you all! I've always heard really good things about this community :smile:

Some feedback that I still need to work through:
The destruction on the edge of the diorama, instead of making it random as it is now, delete specific tiles off the side
Add more definition to the tree
Add some more vegetation (small ferns / bushes)

UV / Mesh --------------------------------

RENDERS -----------------------

Replies

• Khadyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Khadyko polycounter lvl 11
    Hi! You can add some details on the stairs in front of the main door - flat slope looks a bit strange here. Windows are painted with solid green - add frames, stained glass, less emission strength along the borders. Also there is too many free space on the sides of the renders - you can crop it.
  • IndyT
    Khadyko said:
    Hi! You can add some details on the stairs in front of the main door - flat slope looks a bit strange here. Windows are painted with solid green - add frames, stained glass, less emission strength along the borders. Also there is too many free space on the sides of the renders - you can crop it.
    Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the more I look at it the flat emissions starts looking weird! So you're thinking turn the slop into a proper staircase? I can definitely try it out! Appreciate it.

As for the renders, these are just screenshots of unity. They aren't necessarily renders yet :) So ill make sure to crop it when I go for final render!
  • Khadyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Khadyko polycounter lvl 11
    Gothic metal fence will look great here as well, I think. Break it up where roots came in. This can add more dynamic in the scene.
    Also I noticed a weird looking texture on the tree

• Eric Chadwick
    If you crop your screenshots, they'll show up better on forums. Not so "far away".

This

vs. that

• IndyT
    If you crop your screenshots, they'll show up better on forums. Not so "far away".

This

vs. that

I see! So its for better view on forums as well! Ill definitely remember to do that next time then! Thanks! Didnt even think about that tbh.
  • IndyT
    Khadyko said:
    Gothic metal fence will look great here as well, I think. Break it up where roots came in. This can add more dynamic in the scene.

Gothic metal fence? Maybe on the bit that supports the house? Between the obelisks! That could look kind of interesting :) Thanks for the suggestion.

The weird look i've figured out. Its the height map property within Unity. Its not working well with my current maps. I need to take a look into that later. Might take height maps away completely tbh as they aren't very prevalent within my scene.

• IndyT
    IndyT said:
    Khadyko said:

Gothic metal fence? Maybe on the bit that supports the house? Between the obelisks! That could look kind of interesting :) Thanks for the suggestion.

The weird look i've figured out. Its the height map property within Unity. Its not working well with my current maps. I need to take a look into that later. Might take height maps away completely tbh as they aren't very prevalent within my scene.

• IndyT