Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] SIG 516 Gen 2 "SOPMOD"

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator
Yeah yeah, "another AR 15" but in my defence I started this project 3 years ago, 2017 (not continuously! A lot of breaks in between, didn't really work on it in 2018/19) and, it's white. basically a totally unique gun you guys.

Artstation for more renders | Sketchfab for download

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The proportions look ok so keep at it!
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Thanks!

Changelog
    - Suppressor
    - Barrel
    - Quad Rail

I didn't think it would take so long to make a highpoly of the quadrail but, the blockout was missing a couple of details, and making the mesh, an actually nice & smooth, "chocolatey" mesh wasn't as easy as just using the bevel modifier. But that's okay because I think the extra effort shows in the end.

I'm considering making the general bevels a bit smoother but for now I'll move on to the backup sight. Anything to delay the inevitable stress fest that will be figuring out the topology of the upper receiver. :s
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Changelog
    Rear sight
    Rail Covers
    Gas Block (This one took a while... and most of the detailed bits are covered by the quad rail so now I hate myself,  even more than usual.)
    Fore Grip

Was feeling cute so I modeled 4 instead of 3 this time.

Pistol grip, stock and Laser sight are up next.

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Hanguard is looking good, keep it up :)
  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    It's looking great! One thing that stood out to me is the rounded shape at the tip of the handguard. I think this is the same gun: https://youtu.be/nP7yt1mQgPE?t=572

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    The quad rail seems to be different in a lot of my reference images. In some images it's shorter and doesn't cover the gas block, others it covers the gas block but it's not rounded, in another it is,etc. so I just decided to go with what I thought was the most... "interesting"

Changelog
    Just the PEQ 15 this time.  :(

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Changelog
    - Magazine
    - Stock
    - Pistol Grip
    - Laser Sight was moved to the side (It was kinda ruining the silhouette a bit)

This one was weird, the one that I had thought would be the easiest to model, the stock, was the hardest(or at least, most tedious, joining vertices isn't particularly difficult) and the one that I had thought to be the hardest, the magazine ended up being the most fun. I used a lot of very unconventional modelling methods and I feel like a tech priest now.  :3

Of course there's still a lot missing(the pistol grip is missing too much for comfort) but I'll call it a day for now.

Here's hoping that trend of hard things ending up being really easy to model continues, and the upper receiver and acog sight aren't going to be as much of a nightmare as thing they'll be. :#

Lower receiver is next.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Changelog
    Lower Receiver
    Added Pistol Grip floaters that would be too much of a pain to do in substance.

Well this was a lot more time consuming than expected, here I was thinking the upper receiver was going to the pain with the odd shape of the sig 516's forward assist or brass deflector.  But it only two bits remaining before I get to the mundane task of uv mapping and texturing this beast.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Changelog
    Upper Receiver

Would you look at that, another case of thing that i'd thought to be hard to model, being actually pretty easy to model. For the most part. The brass deflector was a pain to model and it took me way longer than i'd like to admit to realise that the 516's bolt carrier is a special one

It's not complete yet, the dust cover, and charging handle are obvious WIPs, but all the hard parts are done.

Alright, just the ACOG's left. Noticing a trend for all the "hard" parts being the easiest to model so um...

"oh the acog's gonna be so hard to model I can't just ctrl + b q.q"

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I feel like the proportions are off somehow. Maybe its too thin. Are you using real world dimensions?
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I was sceptical at first, i did indeed use dimensions from the manufacturer of each bit. But it turns out there were some proportional errors, the charging handle was... all kinds of wrong, the pistol grip was too thin and the magazine was too tall.

Thanks

Changelog
    Corrected some proportional errors
    Charging Handle (I didn't think it'd take as long as it did but the block out was waaay off)
    Basic steps for the ACOG

Man times like this I wish i bought a license of zbrush or something. I imagine zremesher would come in really handy, particularly in combining all the weird shapes here (...that is something zremesher would help with, right?)

So no other path open other than just raw sub d modelling, which hey it's not that complicated of a shape anyway, I'm not complaining.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Changelog
    ACOG's Almost done!

Almost. Modelling this was a lot more straight forward than i thought it would be. I guess that 12 month detour modelling cars paid off in the end.

After I finish modelling the ACOG, I'll take an 12 day break to work on something else ( I don't know what yet, but that bike in the monthly challenge looks sweet. ) before I finalise the modelling and start doing the lowpoly & texturing.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Lookin ace!
    The back lens glass looks too spherical. In reality its almost flat with a slight curve.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I'll consider that before i do the finishing touches to the modelling, in 12 days ;)

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Well that ended up being way longer than "12 days" but at least it's not a whole year this time lol.

Decimated and uv mapped the gun and the accessories over the span of 3 days, used very... "unconventional" techniques to do so, at least to me. Which frankly I'm surprised didn't end up making  an unrecognisable mess of a lowpoly.

Limited dissolve with seams and "normal" as limiters, isn't so bad after all. Just make sure you lay the seams down first.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Excuse the awful background for now.

So I've decided to make the gun white ( Maybe not this white though, might be a bit too bright ), though the accessories colour's are up in the air but I guess I'll cross that bridge once I deal with the symmetry errors on the pistol grip.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

Fixed the symmetry issue with the pistol grip. Not done with the textures just yet but I'm going to put them aside to set up the scene.

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    You've got what looks like a bake/shading error there on the last image where the fire select is. Maybe a weird shadow? Either way it stands out on that last image.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    zachagreg said:
    You've got what looks like a bake/shading error there on the last image where the fire select is. Maybe a weird shadow? Either way it stands out on that last image.

It turned out to be a weird shadow thing. The lighting setup was taken from an old car rendering project so that's probably why it happened. Thanks for pointing it out. Random vanity render

For the studio scene, I want there to be a strong pink-bluish motif but I don't think it's being executed as nicely as I think it could be.
    Notes to self
    haven't found a decent note taking app that works on both linux and windows so I'll settle with leaching off polycount's server space, love you <3
    • Pistol grip is still pretty bad
    • Add the panelling to the bottom of the pmag
    • Make the texturing of the accessories feel less lazy
    • Add in the missing decals for the stock and ACOG
    • Add the panelling to the bottom of the pmag x2
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work man! Straight out of Tarkov!  I like the presentation as well (especially the one with the red blue BG looks kind of like cop car lights but the purple is nice as well) minimalist yet stylish,

Some unsolicited crits for you to do with what you wish

I desaturated the stock and darkened it up a bit I thought it was drawing too much attention
    Darkened the mag since I think it balanced the gun out a little more (Maybe the grip as well Im not too sure)

Also maybe some mist or some form of volumetrics would be nice in the BG, could just be done in gimp or photoshop

As for cross platform note taking, I find a little app called pen and paper works best! battery life is pretty good too :p
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Massive thanks mook , yeah a lot of people suggested I make the magazine black but seeing it in a photoshop definitely convinced me. Also went ahead and made the pistol grip black too.

And with that I'm calling this gun done, finally. after like 3 years

Blend file from "November 12 2017" I uhm... didn't know what I was doing lol.
  • Boosted24v
    Offline / Send Message
    Boosted24v polygon
    3 years in the making, ending in 2020, an still you decided to go with a PEQ-7 over a PEQ-15? ooh its done? forget I said anything :3 lmao looks great though.
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    haha awesome man! saw it on artstation with the black grip/ mag and came to check the thread. That is one cursed blender theme though haha